Sand snakes to sack Oldtown? Chapter 3 question.

magnusk

Hi all.

Just started reading book four. Reading the first Dorne chapter, The Captain of the Guards.

Now this may be something very obvious but it's totally lost on me ... Prince Oberyn was killed by Gregor Clegane.His daughters, Obara and Nymeria both want a revenge, and talk about marching on, and sacking, Oldtown. Now a very quick search in this forum showed me way too much information about other stuff which I don't want to read just yet, but a quick glance did not solve my question: I wonder, why do they want to sack Oldtown in revenge for Oberyn's death at the hand of Clegane? I just have absolutely no idea how Oldtown comes into the matter. Am I supposed to know? If so, what's the deal?

I guess, partly for personal reasons. I found the information that Obara's mother was a whore in Oldtown. Later Nym says that Obara 'hates that city as much as our little sister loves it'. So, clearly it is Obara's idea. I think (but I may be mistaken) that she's proud of her father, but ashamed of the fact who her mother was. She wants to kill two birds with one stone: to 'punish' the Lannisters and the Tyrells by attacking Highgarden's ally (that is, the Hightowers, who own Oldtown) and provoke them into a war, as well as to destroy the city.

Archived