Finished AFFC

unforgiven

Finally finished A Feast for Crows, and I have to say that, overall, I was very impressed.

After reading a lot of negativity about AFFC, I was worried that I was going to be reading a bad book, but I'm pleased that was not the case. I found the court intrigue and the adventures of Sam and Arya to be quite enjoyable. I especially appreciated the addition of Cersei's POV - her insanity was such a pleasure to read. I think Martin had been waiting to write her POV for a while, because his passion for the character is really apparent as you read. The conclusion of her storyline was quite interesting as well.

Following the trend from A Storm of Swords, I've really grown to enjoy Jaime's character. He really has evolved from the asshole he was in A Game of Thrones.

Given the fact that I'm going to begin A Dance with Dragons some time in the next couple of weeks, the split perspective nature of the story doesn't bother me. There are certain events mentioned in AFFC that I'm eager to see illuminated a little more in ADWD. I have to admit, though, that if I had to wait six freakin' years to read it, I might be a little peaved, but that is a topic for another board.

Overall, a very engaging court thriller. An understandable respite from the breakneck pacing, and revelatory storytelling of A Storm of Swords. I am once again very impressed with the title - A Feast for Crows. It fits this part of the story so well. I conclude this eager to begin the next installment in the saga.

I agree with you mostly on all parts, Cersei´s chapters were wonderful! However, i found Sam´s chapters to bit a bit boring, the death of Aemon was the part i actually enjoyed reading. I also enjoyed the Dorne arc, Im totally rooting for Arianne! (and Sand Snakes FTW) but the Greyjoy chapters bored me.. I think Jaime´s chapters were´nt as good as in Storm. I enjoyed Brienne´s chapters too, despite what people say about them :). I also have yet to begin Dance, and I really don´t want to return to Dany and Jon again... Overall, good book :D

I finished reading A Feast for Crows a couple days ago.

I liked the Cersei chapters: I've always wondered what thoughts were swirling around in her mind. The insight into her increasing paranoia and cruelty as she began to fall apart was quite entertaining.

I still think the Brienne chapters were basically pointless: she wandered around and ended up

dead, I think

Still, the view of what the Brotherhood without Banners had become was interesting. I like Thoros, he should get his own chapters!

The Jaime chapters served to further his character's development in what, I believe, is a positive direction. The way he

crumples up the letter with Cersei's plea for help shows that he's no longer his sister's plaything and he's finally seen her for what she is

The Greyjoys' chapters were a bit tedious but necessary to provide a setup for A Dance with Dragons (which I haven't started as yet) and perhaps Winds of Winter.

Samwell's chapters were nice to read to get to know his character better and his chance meeting with Arya was interesting as well.

Aemon Targaryen's death was sad and formed one of the saddest moments in the book, in my opinion

The chapters set in Dorne were also somewhat interesting, although a bit tedious at times, while providing some necessary developments including the fact that

Doran Martell is not the meek prince everyone thinks he is. His actions will impact Daenerys in A Dance with Dragons. Fire and Blood!

Sansa's chapters were a pleasant surprise, mostly because of her development and insight into Littlefinger's schemes.

Overall, A Feast for Crows was a great read and refreshingly different from the previous books as well as a welcome slower pace after the quick-paced Storm of Swords.

I also finished AFFC recently and it is easily my favorite of the series so far. I found no parts of this book boring where I did have to rush through some of the chapters in ASOS. I greatly enjoyed the Ironborn chapters, especially the one focusing on Victorian in battle and the conquest of the Shield Islands. Each to their own but I don't see how the Victorian/Euron, overall direction of the Iron Born story arc is anything other than riveting reading.

Now I'm reluctant to start A Dance with Dragons, although I already own it, because once I've finished it I'll have no more Song of Ice and Fire to read for a considerable amount of time. It took me more than 8 months to finish reading A Feast for Crows because I was deliberately reading at a very slow pace but now I've finished it I may turn back and do a slow re-read of every book starting with A Game of Thrones. Hopefully, by the time I'm done with my slow re-read, The Winds of Winter should be out and I can read A Dance with Dragons knowing that I'll have another book ahead once I'm done.

I've started ADWD yesterday. I want to eliminate spoilers.

The internet is dark and full of spoilers.

That it is and some people seem to find amusement in posting spoilers under the HBO Game of Thrones videos on YouTube. I may start A Dance with Dragons just so that I don't get spoiled, as you've said.

I agree with you mostly on all parts, Cersei´s chapters were wonderful! However, i found Sam´s chapters to bit a bit boring, the death of Aemon was the part i actually enjoyed reading. I also enjoyed the Dorne arc, Im totally rooting for Arianne! (and Sand Snakes FTW) but the Greyjoy chapters bored me.. I think Jaime´s chapters were´nt as good as in Storm. I enjoyed Brienne´s chapters too, despite what people say about them :). I also have yet to begin Dance, and I really don´t want to return to Dany and Jon again... Overall, good book :D

I'm glad I wasn't the only one bored by Sam's chapters and the Greyjoy chapters. Arianne was a welcomed addition to the story. Jaime's chapters seemed to have taken a backseat in this book, but Cersei's chapters flew by she's so crazy...I kind of missed Dany and Jon because they're my two favorite houses and I just like their part in the story

Now I'm reluctant to start A Dance with Dragons, although I already own it, because once I've finished it I'll have no more Song of Ice and Fire to read for a considerable amount of time. It took me more than 8 months to finish reading A Feast for Crows because I was deliberately reading at a very slow pace but now I've finished it I may turn back and do a slow re-read of every book starting with A Game of Thrones. Hopefully, by the time I'm done with my slow re-read, The Winds of Winter should be out and I can read A Dance with Dragons knowing that I'll have another book ahead once I'm done.

We are in exactly the same situation. I deliberately took my time reading affc and now that I am done I am afraid to start adwd for the same reasons. As you suggest, I will probably start the series over again and also watch each episode of a gamoe of thones at least twice. Then read adwd and just hope that winds will be forthcoming.

I just finished FFC. I'm waiting for my son to finish Dance.

Spoilers are hard to avoid.

I'm almost dreading finishing it because I know that whatever "cliff hangers" he leaves us with might not be resolved for the better part of a decade.

AFAIK poor Brienne

has been hanging with that noose around her neck

since 2005.

Glad you enjoyed it. I too found it far more entertaining than the relative bore it is presented as. It's the moment you start to actually like Sansa that you realise GRRM is indeed the master craftsman of character development. She evolves from being hideously annoying to being quite savvy and above all, interesting.

I just finished FFC. I'm waiting for my son to finish Dance.

Spoilers are hard to avoid.

I'm almost dreading finishing it because I know that whatever "cliff hangers" he leaves us with might not be resolved for the better part of a decade.

AFAIK poor Brienne

has been hanging with that noose around her neck

since 2005.

I think it's time for us to face the possibility that

Brienne is dead

Also, I read an interview with George R.R. Martin, some time ago, that seemed to suggest that Winds of Winter might be released in 2014 but we all know what that road leads to...

I think it's time for us to face the possibility that

Brienne is dead

Also, I read an interview with George R.R. Martin, some time ago, that seemed to suggest that Winds of Winter might be released in 2014 but we all know what that road leads to...

Yup, teaching us yet again what an overdeveloped sense of honor gets you in Westeros. (Poor Ned.)

And I'd trust an optimistic GRRM release date about as far as I can throw him, and he looks pretty big. :cool4:

I just started reading the series last March and I went way to fast. DIdn't even realize that he hadn't written the final two books when I started. Got done with AFFC and then looked into the others, so I have been reading ADWD very very slowly. But still a great book, and Jon POV are amazing, so is Dany's, I dont know what some of you are smokin.... Ill prolly end up reading them all agian slower to get all of the content once I finish ADWD...

I just started reading the series last March and I went way to fast. DIdn't even realize that he hadn't written the final two books when I started. Got done with AFFC and then looked into the others, so I have been reading ADWD very very slowly. But still a great book, and Jon POV are amazing, so is Dany's, I dont know what some of you are smokin.... Ill prolly end up reading them all agian slower to get all of the content once I finish ADWD...

Im glad some people actually did enjoy Dany and Jon, because I did´nt.

Archived