Barrowton

Free Northman

Interesting. But I'm curious as to the source where it says Barrowton is the second largest town in the North. Just Theon's comments, or is there more?

I'd have thought that Winterfell / Winter Town was second to White Harbour. Granted, with the years-long winters, I imagine the population of the northern communities waxes and wanes quite a lot. (And the North's population would be sparse to begin with.) But it is the capital of the North, and quite centrally located as well. If it's small, that would surprise me.

I did some digging on the Wiki, and it seemed that in Westeros, the 5 largest cities are:

King's Landing

Oldtown

Lannisport (incl. Casterly Rock overlooking it ? Or not ?)

Gulltown

White Harbour

Makes me wonder what the # 6-10 cities & towns are.

I'm assuming Stoney Sept is one. Is it the biggest community in the Riverlands ?

My guess is:

Highgarden

Stoney Sept

Duskendale

Maidenpool

Sunspear (or Planky Town ?)

Highgarden is not a town. It is a castle.

Stony Sept - from its description in the books, as well as from the extract from the World of Ice and Fire, in which it is listed as the only non-city where the the Faith Militant had a large base - would appear to be the largest settlement outside of the 5 cities. In other words, it is the largest town in Westeros based on what I could gather. Random estimate of roughly 8,000 - 12,000 population range.

Duskendale, Barrowton, and Dorne's largest settlement (which as far as I can determine is the castle of Sunspear with its Flea Bottom equivalent the Planky Town surrounding it), appear to be large settlements not far behind Stony Sept in size. Estimate of say 6,000 - 10,000 population range.

Maidenpool and Saltpans do not appear to be as prominent as Duskendale, yet remain significant settlements in their own right, so probably they fall another tier down. Say around 4,000 - 6,000 population size. There are probably a dozen more towns of this size, which we just don't know the names of.

That's my best guess with the information at hand.

Highgarden is not a town. It is a castle.

Stony Sept - from its description in the books, as well as from the extract from the World of Ice and Fire, in which it is listed as the only non-city where the the Faith Militant had a large base - would appear to be the largest settlement outside of the 5 cities. In other words, it is the largest town in Westeros based on what I could gather. Random estimate of roughly 8,000 - 12,000 population range.

Duskendale, Barrowton, and Dorne's largest settlement (which as far as I can determine is the castle of Sunspear with its Flea Bottom equivalent the Planky Town surrounding it), appear to be large settlements not far behind Stony Sept in size. Estimate of say 6,000 - 10,000 population range.

Maidenpool and Saltpans do not appear to be as prominent as Duskendale, yet remain significant settlements in their own right, so probably they fall another tier down. Say around 4,000 - 6,000 population size. There are probably a dozen more towns of this size, which we just don't know the names of.

That's my best guess with the information at hand.

Dorne's largest settlement is the Shadow City of Sunspear according to Arianne, "the closest thing Dorne had to a city" or something to that effect. So Planky town would be smaller than that. I think your estimates are good.

Dorne's largest settlement is the Shadow City of Sunspear according to Arianne, "the closest thing Dorne had to a city" or something to that effect. So Planky town would be smaller than that. I think your estimates are good.

Ah, thanks. I meant the Shadow City. That description by Arriane is the one I was referring to, where Dorne's largest settlement is still clearly described as far less than a true city. So Duskendale/Barrowton sized seems about right for its equivalent.

Archived