RPGing within A Game of Thones setting

ByGoneYrs

Hello everyone, I am a new member here but have 37+ years RPGing gaming history with such games as: D&D, Gamma World, Traveller, Hero's System, and etc, etc, etc! I really like the whole world setting of A Song of Ice and Fire alot. To me a GM/DM it fits as a perfect gaming world setting for a campaign to have my players play within.

Now I have been collect resource books to help myself out to better learn and know the world and as all good GM/DMs do I will tailor it to my own taste and flavor. I enjoy deep politics and plots within plots within plots, servered up with lots of roleplaying. Sorry Hack n Slash just isn't my style nor my players, but intrique is.

So I am trying to collect as much background resource data for myself to be able to put together a campaign setting using the basics of A Song of Ice and Fire realm as I can find. To start off with I bought the product called: The Land of Ice and Fire (A Game of Thrones), because they have many maps of both continents and many details of regions that make alot of basic settings easy to find. Now I would greatly add to these maps for a gaming world, but it does provide alot of usefull details to begin with.

Next I bought the following Art work books to add to some helpful setting feeling of events or locations or characters. These books are: Art of George RR martins A Song of Ice and Fire Volumn 1 and Volumn 2. Both of these books help to set the mode for different elements from the series and are extra fluff to add to setting the feeling.

Now the next set of books are mostly RPG books that are more for their game background sorce-work, than the game system itself. I am using them really for the raw game setting details only and will use my own In-House game mechanics. These books are:

- A Song of Ice and Fire Starter A Sourcebook for A Game of Thrones

- A Song of Ice and Fire RPG Night's Watch

- A Song of Ice and Fire RPG A Game of Thrones Edition

- A Song of Ice and Fire Campaign Guide A Game of Thrones Edition

- A Song of Ice and Fire Roleplaying Adventures in The Seven Kingdomes

- A Song of Ice and Fire RPG Peril at Kings Landing Adventure

All of these above (10) books I have managed to buy off of Amazon.com for cheaper than going to their publisher, and I still look for more books. Now I currently am watching the HBO series on TV, and need to obtain DVDs for all three seasons just to have them. I also need to purchase all (5) current books on the series and read them as well.

Now I have read through most of the above books and like very much what I have seen so far. I like the fact that Magic is coming back into the world again, almost as if the flow of Magic is returning. I will add to that and most likely set my campaign a year after the happenings in book 7 eventually comes out. This way I can let some of the wars events settle down and allow for more plots to develope. I will also bake in the return of the Gods and their powers once agin and the return of magic too, along with the return of Magical creatures and the Fay (Elves are in my book the original folk that the First Men battled for 8,000 years), that have faded or gone into hidding. I would make this more like a Conan style campaign feel, but more Knight in shinning armor with some monsters and minor magic as well too.

There is lots of details here, so what else should i consider obtaining to add to my resource library?

Please note I am looking for other resources products that I should consider picking up to add to my overall background resource to draw on for building my gaming campaign. I take great effort in to researching a topic and I like to have all I can gain to build from or draw from. Also if there are other good forums or sites I should also check out please inform me on them.

Thanks in advance!!!

I plan on creating for my game a new House called Corrella. The new house is a old house but one that is returning to wealth and power after the events of the current 5 Books. The house will be based out a new town that I will design from the ground up that will be a port city, and the House Corrella will be known for making weapons; Long Swords, Short Swords, Daggers, Spears, Arror heads, and Cross bow Bolts. They seem to in current times discover the secret to crafting stronger metal that holds it's point better and longer. Their steel weapons are harder and better crafted, and a must have for all warriors that use their style of weapons. Also they have a House Style of fighting that is different as well too. The Corrella Style seems to deploy two weapons, with one in each hand with the warrior wearing lighter armore to increase their ability to move better. The Two-Handed style, uses: LongSword/Short Sword, Long Sword/ Dagger, or Long Sord/Cane. Now it is also rumored that some of the House Corrella have rediscovered how to cast magic again. Now alot of rumors are spreading about this, mostly about some spell that causes the metal that is being worked to burn hotter to help make stronger steel weapons. The process to make the weapons is a House secret and is totally a secret that is well kept. Now this same house wealth and power have greatly increased and with it they have increased the families town and holdings, that includes troops to defend it as well too. Their port town has become quite a Import/Export merchant destination for many merchant caravans or merchant ships, also greatly increasing the wealth of the house and the city by great bounds. As it is currently, the House has managed to stay out of the political wars, but people are beginning to wonder what side this neutral house might side with.

As I stated on the other thread that inquired about tabletop roleplaying, you can join us at gameofthrones.net for forum tabletop. The rules are the ones of A Game of Thrones rather than ASOIAF, menaning it's the D20 system, which is compatible with the NWN2 mechanics. The site hosts a chatbox for more fluent communication, you may find me there, or at steam, as floripondious.

Archived