'Southron Ambitions' and House Martell

Noah Dalt

This is not a new theory of mine own, and if anyone has the linkage to give due credit, I would be very much obliged.

During Lady Dustin's interactions with Theon in the crypts of Winterfell, we learn of the elder Lord Stark's desire to marry his heir for the sake of "Southron Ambitions." Of little note, which I have never seen mention of on the forums, is Lord Hoster Tully's offering to introduce Edmure to Doran Martell's heiress, Arianne.

'Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get out you' has been an amusing thought of mine, and Rhaegar spoke to Jaime of many changes when he returned after the Battle of the Trident. Is it possible that some of Lord Rickard's ambitions outlived him in Lord Tully? This might help explain some of the seemingly deserved enmity that House Martell (which they certainly have no shortage of) for House Lannister. Could it be that these 'Southron Ambitions' that Lady Dustin speaks of tempered relations between the Martells, and explains why all it took was a trip from Jon Arryn to becalm the raging tempers in Dorne? If Oberyn were truly set to go to war for the sake of Viserys, I find it quite difficult to believe that Doran could have stopped him, but also believe that Oberyn and Doran's political alliance was the strongest in regards to trust and secrecy in the Seven Kingdoms.

Still, there are several critical questions unanswered. Why didn't the Dornish do more to help Viserys? Did Doran really trust Illyrio and Varys to protect the future of the Seven Kingdoms in such a long, convoluted plan? Is Doran perhaps aware of the existence of "Aegon VI", the son of Elia Martiell, while Oberyn was never informed (much like Viseryn was never informed of his betrothal)? Was the marriage pact perhaps, instead of being meant to harvest fruit, a means to temper the Red Viper's wroth after Robert's Rebellion and little else? What exactly did Lord Hoster seek in marrying Edmure to Arianne post-rebellion? Doran only likes to play games he can win; can he end up on the winning sides in the Game of Thrones playing with the likes of Varys and Mopatis?

I do not believe that Doran will outlive the series, and I believe that we will see Arianne come into her own as an elegant player of the Game of Thrones. Her short-lived and tragic experience as The Queenmaker seems to have lifted off her selfishness, cooled her temper, and increased her thoughtfulness. Still, with so much intrigue surrounding the heiress of Dorne, someone whom Mopatis and Varys could count on much more than endangered Targaryens to survive and a natural ally for their cause, one can't help but wonder: how does she fit into the puzzle? Is her father part of the picture? Is he fully informed? What, exactly, happened with the betrothal arrangement? I simply cannot take it at face value. Does anyone have any similar feelings or thoughts?

Archived