The Perfumed Seneschal: Archmaester Theobald?

Jon of the Dead

If we ignore the perfume bit, Archmaester Theobald actually seems a strong candidate for being this mysterious figure and even a potential dangerous adversary for Dany if she ever makes it to Westeros.

First, he is called the actual Seneschal of the Citadel since Archmaester Walgrave (who was first appointed) is too old and senile for the job.

Now, this is Qwaithe's warning to Dany: "The glass candles are burning. Soon comes the pale mare, and after her the others. Kraken and dark flame, lion and griffin, the sun's son and the mummer's dragon. Trust none of them. Remember the Undying. Beware the perfumed seneschal."

Remember what Marwyn says about the Citadel in affc: ""Who do you think killed all the dragons the last time around? The world the Citadel is building has no place in it for sorcery or prophecy or glass candles, much less for dragons. Ask yourself why Aemon Targaryen was allowed to waste his life upon theWall, when by rights he should have been raised to archmaester. His blood was why."

It is no coincidence that both mentioned the glass candles. Some people think that Qwiathe is warning Dany about Marwyn's use of the glass candle to find out about her and coming to meet her. However, we could interpret Qwaithe's warning as if she is saying that magic is back to the world, as the glass candles are burning again, therefore the Citadel will soon find out and try to put an end to it. This could be true since Marwyn says that the Citadel will send a man after Dany soon enough, and that he must reach her before the Citadel's envoy does.

We can infer that Archmaester Theobald is already plotting to attack Dany. Sure, we know next to nothing about this man, only that he is described as being gruff but good, but also capable of poisoning Sam if he talks about the dragons, as Marwyn warns him. I believe that if Dany comes to Westeros, the Citadel will be one of her biggest enemies.

Good shout. The Citadel is obviously anti magic/dragon and so must surely be opposed to Dany. I think she'll have have a tough time with the maesters but she could get Drogon to forge her a new throne made of maester's chains.

I like this a lot, but whence the perfume? The Seneschal is an elected officer; perhaps Theobald is due to be replaced by somebody more fragrant?

Yes, perhaps Leo Tyrell will sneak his way into becoming Seneschal (being a Tyrell, the perfume part would be the rose, but who knows). Actually, another reason why I think the Citadel will play an important role in Dany's story is because it could create a connection between Jorah and his ex-wife, since the Hightowers were asking Lysenne's husband to bring them ships to fight the Ironborn.

I don't really like theories that involve acolytes like Leo or Sam leaping to the top of the tree, Jon Snow style. But...you have just reminded me that Garth the Gross is Seneschal of Hghgarden. A perfumed man in more ways than one, who's been highlighted oddly often if he's to remain so in the background...

Marwyn is on his way to Dany... and he teached MMD and Qyburn(not a really good guy) respect him a lot.... all he need is to be appointed as the seneschal. Oh and the Boat he use to sail to Dany is named "Cinnamon Wind"

• 1 month later...

Of note is that the cog that Tyrion, Jorah, Moqorro and "pretty" Penny are originally travelling on is named the "Selaesori Qhoran" which Moqorro tells Tyroin roughly translates, IIRC, as the "fragrant stewart" (or the "perfumed seneschal") and promptly Tyrion decides the "stinky steward" is a better translation. While the cog itself doesn't make it to Meereen the passengers are another story. There is another recent thread along these lines.

Well, the only thing I feel sure about regarding " The perfumed Senshenal" is that whether it is a person or a ship, the person or persons from it are out to destroy Dany and her Dragons. Not befriend her and they.

Archived