Time between Ned and Cersei in godswood till Robert and the boar?

SerWaymarRoyce

Nope. When Ned met Cersei, the ship on which his daughters were supposed to leave, is said to depart "three days hence". The night Robert was brought back mortally wounded was just before the day the ship was planned to depart.

Exactly right. So the ship is supposed to leave in three days. Ned warns Cersei that night. Robert returns, mortally wounded, two nights later. If they'd been carrying him back for two days, it seems highly improbable that Cersei would have had enough time to be warned by Ned, come up with the super-wine/boar "plot", dispatch the super-wine to Lancel who's in the field with Robert, and for Robert to get drunk and be gutted by the boar. I think this is pretty good evidence that the plan was already in the works.

Correct. A common misconception is that it wasn't the wine or the boar that killed Robert, but Ned's mercy. Cersei reveals in FFC that she had been planning Robert's assassination for sometime, and had to speed it up when Ned started snooping around. There was a ploy during the Hand's Tourney to assassinate Robert in the melee, but Ned stopped that from happening. Cersei got a bit of luck that the plan worked at the same time Ned learned the truth, but the plan was set in motion before that.

Perhaps the part about Ned's "mercy" killing Robert could refer to his failure to tell Robert about his suspicions before Robert left on the hunt, according to this passage from p. 430 of aGoT:

"Your Grace," Ned Stark said, "we must talk . . ."

Robert pressed his fingertips against his temples. "I am sick unto death of talk. On the morrow, I am going to the kingswood to hunt. Whatever you have to say can wait until I return."

Presumably "the talk" Ned wanted to have with Robert concerned the Twincest.

Perhaps the part about Ned's "mercy" killing Robert could refer to his failure to tell Robert about his suspicions before Robert left on the hunt, according to this passage from p. 430 of aGoT:

"Your Grace," Ned Stark said, "we must talk . . ."

Robert pressed his fingertips against his temples. "I am sick unto death of talk. On the morrow, I am going to the kingswood to hunt. Whatever you have to say can wait until I return."

Presumably "the talk" Ned wanted to have with Robert concerned the Twincest.

Ned hadn't discovered the twincest plot at this point. He just knew something was amiss, and it was later when Sansa makes her comment about giving Joffrey golden haired lions for sons that Ned puts it all together.

Ned hadn't discovered the twincest plot at this point. He just knew something was amiss, and it was later when Sansa makes her comment about giving Joffrey golden haired lions for sons that Ned puts it all together.

Good point.

• 3 weeks later...

very good discussion.

I have to agree now that the plot was in play. On the re-read varys admits as much to ned when visiting in the dungeon below KL. I don't have the exact quote but says if not the boar, a fall from his horse, a stray arrow, so many things can happen on the hunt.

I also agree ned poking around just made the plot get speed up, as cersi would have much rather delt with stannis and renly before killing robert.

On a side note, how much and the truth behind john arryns death was stannis aware of when he fled to dragonstone. Did he have any idea about cersi's plot to remove robert or was the some other reason given as to while he flees the city after arryns death and does not heed neds pleas to return once he is there?

Archived