What is going on in Oldtown?

Falcon92

GRRM made such a big deal about it, both the prologue and the last chapter in AFFC was about mysterious events regarding the Citadel in Oldtown, and that storyline is still left hanging. I have no idea what the point of it is right now or why Jaqen is infiltrating it... what could possibly be so important that made him kill an innocent person just to get inside those walls?

The theory is that Jaqen is there to find a book, "The Death of the Dragons" I think, which tells you how to kill a dragon, and the FM want the book to kill Dany's. Though I don't think it's that simple.

What I'm curious about is why the Citadel has a big anti-magic agenda (to paraphrase, the maester that spoke to Sam said that they have no room in their intended world for magic; he also seemed to suggest that they killed off the dragons 300 years ago). I was hoping that the maesters who were on their way to kill Dany's dragons (and the one to save them) would have reached there by aDwD so we'd get further insight into the situation, but unfortunately that wasn't the case..... or was it? Could they have had something to do with her dragons going all rogue and crazy? (Probably not; it's most likely a result of her negligence.)

I think Jaquen is there for the glass candles. If Maester M. (I forget his name but it starts with an M) is to be believed, you can view and communicate across the world with them, and even implant dreams onto people. Maester M. used it to find and retrieve Sam before he tells his story to the wrong Maesters and gets his throat cut (apparently). Jaquen may have a big job to accomplish, and he would need the candle for that. At least that's what I think.

At some point I hypothesized that Jaquen is an agent of the Others, and is trying to use a glass candle to locate the Horn of Joramun to help them bring down the Wall. But that is a bit of a wild hypothesis requiring many leaping assumptions with little to back it up. But that would be crazy if it were the case.

What I'm curious about is why the Citadel has a big anti-magic agenda (to paraphrase, the maester that spoke to Sam said that they have no room in their intended world for magic; he also seemed to suggest that they killed off the dragons 300 years ago). I was hoping that the maesters who were on their way to kill Dany's dragons (and the one to save them) would have reached there by aDwD so we'd get further insight into the situation, but unfortunately that wasn't the case..... or was it? Could they have had something to do with her dragons going all rogue and crazy? (Probably not; it's most likely a result of her negligence.)

I think Jaquen is there for the glass candles. If Maester M. (I forget his name but it starts with an M) is to be believed, you can view and communicate across the world with them, and even implant dreams onto people. Maester M. used it to find and retrieve Sam before he tells his story to the wrong Maesters and gets his throat cut (apparently). Jaquen may have a big job to accomplish, and he would need the candle for that. At least that's what I think.

At some point I hypothesized that Jaquen is an agent of the Others, and is trying to use a glass candle to locate the Horn of Joramun to help them bring down the Wall. But that is a bit of a wild hypothesis requiring many leaping assumptions with little to back it up. But that would be crazy if it were the case.

His name is Marwyn. :laugh: I can't wait to see how Euron stirs things up in Oldtown! It sure is about to get very interesting...

Archived