King with the Missing Sword *crackpot* Theon remembers

Roadside Rose

{Warning: Crackpot Ahead. If you looking for a 100% foolproof theory, don't continue reading}

I got the compiled list of Kings in the North buried in the Winterfell crypts. And the names of the Kings are as following (in rough chronological order):

Bran, the Builder|King Theon, the Hungry Wolf|

King Brandon, the Shipwright|King Brandon, the Burner|

King Jonnel|King Dorren|King Jon|King Rickard|

King Rodrik|King Edrick Snowbeard|King Brandon Ice Eyes|King Benjen, the Bitter|

King Benjen, the Sweet| King Eyron|King Edderion, the Bridegroom|

King Walton, the Moonking|King Brandon, the Bad|

King Jorah Stark|King Jonos|King Edwyn, the Spring King|King Torrhen Stark

Now the names of Kings, Theon remembers are:

Torrhen Stark, Edrick Snowbeard, Brandon the Shipwright, Theon Stark

If you take away those names from the list, we end up with the following Kings:

Bran, the Builder|

King Brandon, the Burner|

King Jonnel|King Dorren|King Jon|King Rickard|

King Rodrik|King Brandon Ice Eyes|King Benjen, the Bitter|

King Benjen, the Sweet| King Eyron|King Edderion, the Bridegroom|

King Walton, the Moonking|King Brandon, the Bad|

King Jorah Stark|King Jonos|King Edwyn, the Spring King|

Theon remembered the name of King Theon Stark because he was Theon's namesake. Now if Theon could remember the King named after his own name, it's likely he could name the Kings named after the Stark family(Brandon, Jon, Benjen, Rickard). That leaves us with the following:

King Jonnel|King Dorren|King Rodrik|

King Eyron|King Edderion, the Bridegroom|

King Walton, the Moonking|

Theon grew up in fear of Rodrick and Maron Greyjoy, so those are names that he would not easily forget. That leaves us with:

King Jonnel|King Dorren|

King Eyron|King Edderion, the Bridegroom|

King Walton, the Moonking|

Now if Theon's gift of rhyming names to remember them is considered, there would be a few names that wouldn't be hard for him to remember. (Here is a guy who could remember Jeyne Poole after these years - jeyne rhymes with pain).

So Dorren would rhyme with Torrhen, Eyron with Euron (Greyjoy), Jonnel with Donel (Greyjoy), Edderion with Victarion (Greyjoy). That leaves us with the following names:

King Walton, the Moonking

King Jorah Stark

King Jonos

King Edwyn, the Spring King

I believe one among these four Kings is missing his sword.

Am I over-looking a name that Theon could remember easily?

But why does the sword need to belong to someone he can't name. He hasn't been down in the crypts to see a missing sword has he? As far as he knows the sword could belong to a king he can name.

But why does the sword need to belong to someone he can't name. He hasn't been down in the crypts to see a missing sword has he? As far as he knows the sword could belong to a king he can name.

“That king is missing his sword,” Lady Dustin observed.

It was true. Theon did not recall which king it was, but the longsword he should have held was

gone. Streaks of rust remained to show where it had been. The sight disquieted him. He had always

heard that the iron in the sword kept the spirits of the dead locked within their tombs. If a sword was

missing …

So...this is fantastic work, but I don't see exactly what you're getting at. Is the point to simply try to figure out, for the sake of figuring out, which Stark king was missing their sword? If so...well done!

Also, when I see "crackpot" in the subject line, to quote Lewis Black, click click click click click click click click...

Well, still doesn't show why he would need to know that particular king. He might know which crypt belongs to which king just because he knows the names of them.

Not trying to be a brat, I just don't see the importance of knowing who the missing sword belongs to. Heck, maybe that'll bite me in the butt come WoW and it will be important.

So...this is fantastic work, but I don't see exactly what you're getting at. Is the point to simply try to figure out, for the sake of figuring out, which Stark king was missing their sword? If so...well done!

Also, when I see "crackpot" in the subject line, to quote Lewis Black, click click click click click click click click...

Thanks! I feel there are clues pointing to the owner of the missing sword. And Theon's frequent rhyming is a hint.

I think that sword is really important, and I'm trying to narrow down the choices to find the rightful owner.

Well, still doesn't show why he would need to know that particular king. He might know which crypt belongs to which king just because he knows the names of them.

Not trying to be a brat, I just don't see the importance of knowing who the missing sword belongs to. Heck, maybe that'll bite me in the butt come WoW and it will be important.

I think if we know the owner of the sword, we will learn more about it's importance through the dead King's history. My personal theory is that the sword is invincible and gives the owner a lot of courage.

Thanks! I feel there are clues pointing to the owner of the missing sword. And Theon's frequent rhyming is a hint.

I think that sword is really important, and I'm trying to narrow down the choices to find the rightful owner.

I think if we know the owner of the sword, we will learn more about it's importance through the dead King's history. My personal theory is that the sword is invincible and gives the owner a lot of courage.

Hmmm...I think the real object of value in the crypts is likely the Horn of Joramun, the recovery of which was Mance's real objective of going to Winterfell.

The sword was the bit of Tormund's member that the bear bit off and now Hodor has it. What could the implications be?

Some good deductive skills there, and perhaps with Walton and Edwyn we can deduce something from their titles? I've got nothing off the top of my head for Walton the Moon King however I think Edwyn likely didn't rule for very long. The Springs and Autumns only last a year or thereabouts which suggests Edwyn himself ruled for a year.

because, bran&co. say which tombs they take their swords from. they were Brandon Starks, Lord Rickard Starks, and Neds.

so someone else must have taken a sword from a king that theon didnt know.

because, bran&co. say which tombs they take their swords from. they were Brandon Starks, Lord Rickard Starks, and Neds.

so someone else must have taken a sword from a king that theon didnt know.

Yes, Hodor has the old iron sword that belongs to a King.

He is not going to stop, Bran realized. “Hodor,” he said, “why don’t you go outside and train with your sword?”

The stableboy had forgotten about his sword, but now he remembered. “Hodor!” he burped. He went for his blade. They had three tomb swords taken from the crypts of Winterfell where Bran and his brother Rickon had hidden from Theon Greyjoy’s ironmen. Bran claimed his uncle Brandon’s sword, Meera the one she found upon the knees of his grandfather Lord Rickard. Hodor’s blade was much older, a huge heavy piece of iron, dull from centuries of neglect and well spotted with rust. He could swing it for hours at a time. There was a rotted tree near the tumbled stones that he had hacked half to pieces.

Wow this is quite cool. It could be Jorah, as Jorah Mormont is missing his family which he gave up - the sword 'Longclaw' which is now in the possession of Jon Snow. Just pure speculation though.

That is really interesting way to interpret it. Jorah is missing his family sword Longclaw, which is in the hands of a Stark. And the King Jorah is missing his sword too.

King Walton, the Moonking

King Jorah Stark

King Jonos

King Edwyn, the Spring King

I'd cut out King Jorah Stark.

Jorah Mormont was prominent name in Greyjoy rebellion and at the time of his warding Ned went to hunt Jorah down for the crime he comitted.

Jonos, Theon meets with Jonos Bracken for instance, but I wouldn't be sure about that.

Another important element about this sword, is that I believe it gave Hodor courage.

If you remember the first time when Hodor is frightened by the lightning, they take away the sword from him, and he gets super afraid (before Summer attacks the wildings and helps Jon)

When Hodor first hears the lightning, he holds his sword as if to fight the lightning. But the moment he gives it away - he loses his courage.

The lightning flashed again, and this time the thunder came at six. “Hodor!” Hodor yelled again. “HODOR! HODOR!” He snatched up his sword, as if to fight the storm.

Jojen said, “Be quiet, Hodor. Bran, tell him not to shout. Can you get the sword away from him, Meera?”

“I can try.”

“Hodor, hush,” said Bran. “Be quiet now. No more stupid hodoring. Sit down.”

“Hodor?” He gave the longsword to Meera meekly enough, but his face was a mask of confusion.

“Hodor.” Hodor sounded frightened. “Hodor. Hodor.”

Bran felt a little scared himself, though he didn’t want to say so in front of Meera. “What if they come out here?”

“They won’t.” She sat down beside him. “Why should they?”

“For shelter.” Jojen’s voice was grim. “Unless the storm lets up. Meera, could you go down and bar the door?”

“I couldn’t even close it. The wood’s too warped. They won’t get past those iron gates, though.”

“They might. They could break the lock, or the hinges. Or climb up through the murder hole as we did.”

Lightning slashed the sky, and Hodor whimpered. Then a clap of thunder rolled across the lake. “HODOR!” he roared, clapping his hands over his ears and stumbling in a circle through the darkness. “HODOR! HODOR! HODOR!”

“NO!” Bran shouted back. “NO HODORING!”

It did no good. “HOOOODOR!” moaned Hodor. Meera tried to catch him and calm him, but he was too strong. He flung her aside with no more than a shrug. “HOOOOOODOOOOOOOR!” the stableboy screamed as lightning filled the sky again, and even Jojen was shouting now, shouting at Bran and Meera to shut him up.

“Be quiet!” Bran said in a shrill scared voice, reaching up uselessly for Hodor’s leg as he crashed past, reaching, reaching.

Archived