The Reeds' Oath to Bran

Katkara

In Bran's third chapter in ACOK, Jojen and Meera arrive at Winterfell to pledge this oath to Bran:

"To Winterfell we pledge the faith of Greywater. Hearth and harvest and we yield up to you, my lord. Our swords and spears and arrows are yours to command. Grant mercy to our weak, help to our helpless, and justice to all, and we shall never fail you." — Both

"I swear it by earth and water." — Jojen

"I swear it by bronze and iron." — Meera

"We swear it by ice and fire." — Both

I believe that this oath is important in the books, and might serve as a key to find out what the "song of ice and fire" mystery is really about. There was a discussion about it, but it's very old and I noticed something that I haven't seen in the older thread (although I'm sorry if I didn't see it).

1) Earth and Water

The First Men came to Westeros first, over the broken Arm of Dorne, over earth. After them came the Andals, sailing over the sea and landing in the Fingers, so they came over water to Westeros.

2) Bronze and Iron

The weapons of the First Men were bronze, and those of the Andals were iron. Also, Robb's crown is bronze and iron.

3) Ice and Fire

It seems like "Ice" stands for the first men, and "Fire" for the Andals. That would make the "song of ice and fire" the population of Westeros, the joining of the First Men and the Andals.

That would be a bit too simple, though, so there might be more to it than that.

Rhaegar claimed about Aegon that "his is the song of ice and fire", which might mean that he will rule over both the First Men and the Andals.

Other interpretations for "ice and fire" are Jon and Dany (in my opinion, unlikely), R'hllor and the Great Other, or Dany's Dragons and the Others. Maybe this oath means that the Andals and the First Men must (forgive me for the cheesy expression) join their power and defeat the White Walkers or whatever danger is lurking out there.

While I don't think that it's completely improbable that Ice and Fire are opposing forces, I like the theory that both forces are on the same side much better.

There is also another quote from Jojen which would either support or disprove that theory, depending on the interpretation:

"Up and down," Meera would sigh sometimes as they walked, "then down and up. Then up and down again. I hate these stupid mountains of yours, Prince Bran."

"Yesterday you said you loved them."

"Oh, I do. My lord father told me about mountains, but I never saw one till now. I love them more than I can say."

Bran made a face at her. "But you just said you hated them."

"Why can't it be both?" Meera reached up to pinch his nose.

"Because they're different," he insisted. "Like night and day, or ice and fire."

"If ice can burn," said Jojen in his solemn voice, "then love and hate can mate. Mountain or marsh, it makes no matter. The land is one."

So, does "ice can burn" mean that Ice and Fire (whatever it stands for) can join their forces? Somehow, it makes me think of burning wights.

Then he says, "the land is one." That would support my theory of the Andals and the First Men. This discussion seems to be about joining to contrary things, which again would not point to destroying ice with fire (or the other way around), but joining Ice and Fire.

I think in that context the CotF could be the Ice and the First Men are the Fire. From the Ghost of Highheart:

“Nay,” said the dwarf. “You’re not. The black fish holds the rivers now. If it’s the mother you want, seek her at the Twins. For there’s to be a wedding.” She cackled again. “Look in your fires, pink priest, and you will see. Not now, though, not here, you’ll see nothing here. This place belongs to the old gods still... they linger here as I do, shrunken and feeble but not yet dead. Nor do they love the flames. For the oak recalls the acorn, the acorn dreams the oak, the stump lives in them both. And they remember when the First Men came with fire in their fists.” She drank the last of the wine in four long swallows, flung the skin aside, and pointed her stick at Lord Beric. “I’ll have my payment now. I’ll have the song you promised me.”

I think in that context the CotF could be the Ice and the First Men are the Fire. From the Ghost of Highheart:

Nice! I thought of this same passage orginally. But I had a different theory about it. Ice is represented by the CotF, but in a broader sense; like magic in general. And Fire would represent mankind in general and the song would be the coalition between magic and man so that they can exist peacefully within the same universe, which they seem to have a hard time doing as of late.

Nice! I thought of this same passage orginally. But I had a different theory about it. Ice is represented by the CotF, but in a broader sense; like magic in general. And Fire would represent mankind in general and the song would be the coalition between magic and man so that they can exist peacefully within the same universe, which they seem to have a hard time doing as of late.

If you think about it they've always had a hard time with it, first the CotF vs the FM. Then after wreaking havoc throughout the land they come to an understanding and begin to accept each other and even begin to incorporate CotF lore into FM culture, thus beginning an era of peace known as the age of heroes which ends with the Long Night. Eventually they overcome the invasion from the Others only to be hit by the Andals. Maybe Westeros is always going to be the battle ground between the two, but I think it is the two elements of magic as opposed to magic vs man, with Ice being the dominant element of the CotF, thus sort of explaining their eyes and the fact that they really don't seem all that big on fire. And fire being the tool(magic) of choice for men, seeing as how they cut and burn the Weirwoods. The Andals realized the Weirwoods were more than just trees, that's why they set out to destroy them rather than just cut them down.

So, does "ice can burn" mean that Ice and Fire (whatever it stands for) can join their forces? Somehow, it makes me think of burning wights.

Then he says, "the land is one." That would support my theory of the Andals and the First Men. This discussion seems to be about joining to contrary things, which again would not point to destroying ice with fire (or the other way around), but joining Ice and Fire.

What about Earth and Water, Bronze and Iron merging as well as the Ice and Fire? It would be interesting if the Drowned God (I believe in him) and the Others were merged (in Ice - water made solid?).

I don't know how Bronze and Iron could further merge, in addition to than the idea of Andals and First Men merging, as well as the Bronze and Iron crown.

Archived