[Show Spoilers] Fight Scenes - A little lukewarm?

Cornishman

I've really enjoyed the 3 seasons so far, and think D and D have done a super job with a nearly insurmountable task, bringing massive books to the screen.

That said, some of the highest peaks in terms of anticipation and excitement have been, and will continue to be, certain duels and fights.

These fight scenes in the TV show have in many cases been on a downward trajectory IMO. Prime example is Jon's fight with the Wildling's and specifically the created composite character "Orell", who I like to call "Dirty Steve". While wielding his incredibly light an magically murderous blade, Jon looks like an 80 year old man with a backache. During thhe sequence where he actually sticks Dirty Steve and runs him through, it looks like Jon is horribly constipated and is squatting awkwardly trying to pinch one out. Even the strike with the sword after strangely ducking under Dirty Steve's final swing appears to be in slow motion.

There are countless other scenes I can mention where it just isn't "there" in terms of the combat. The one redeeming scene IMO that gives me some hope is the final bit with Arya and the Hound, taking out the four Frey's they encounter. Now THAT is what a sword fight should look like - very brutal, and very, very fast in terms of the movements with the weapon itself.

I won't post a bunch of links, but feel free to google some of the videos of the re-enactors who are into medieval martial arts, as well as even some Kendo videos, to get an idea regarding the actual velocity sword fights occur at. If Jon Snow came at even some of the average fighters involved in these sorts of things, as slowly as he has in ANY of his fight scenes in the TV series, they would have split him open before his sword even cleared his scabbard.

I wonder if any others feel the same way I do?

Archived