Season 3: I didn't get the Jorah/Daenerys interactions (book spoilers)

total1402

D&D pretty much removed every scene from the books. Beyond "Rhaegar fought honourably...." theres pretty much nothing which is similar. But whats strange is that they seemed to have created this unspoken tension between the two which IMO never existed in the series.

Now, one important point is that a fairly important scene was removed on the boat-trip to Astapor which colors all of Danys subsequent interactions with Jorah. Without this, we can only assume that Jorahs relationship would continue on from what it was in ACOK, But right off the bat we have this weird scene in which Jorah suggests the Unsullied and immediately Dany snaps back; but says "this is no time to argue". Which very much implies they have a tense and quarrelsome relationship. This is completely different from the books where Dany doesn't understand the Unsullied training and is actually overjoyed by this seemingly brilliant suggestion to save her from being a Beggar Queen. Whats very telling in the show is that when Dany is confronted with the Unsullied training, just before Barristans appearence, they're just having a casual conversation about it. Dany doesn't seem to hold it against Jorah that he suggested this at all. Which again, is not what happens in the books. There she is incredibly angry at Jorah that he would ever consider using soldiers who had murdered babies and condoned this. So the only thing I could take from that scene is that she disagreed with Jorah more because of existing tensions than slavery. They took the actual book argument they have out and replaced it with this strange interaction which is never explained. What arguments have the two had? Theres nothing from the previous season. They ended that on very good terms after robbing Xaro. The kiss scene which does create tensions doesn't happen in the series; so logically they have nothing to argue about as this should just continue their ACOK relations.

The worst bit however is what happens just before the sale of the Unsullied and when Dany frees them. In the books, it is Barristan who objects in front of her, not Jorah (who is taken aback but says nothing) and is actually dragged out by Jorah. Dany only tells Barristan off for going against her in public. So D&D, again, make a conscious decision to put Jorah in the shit against Dany for no reason and against the books. But then, rather than tell him of her plan as she does in the books; Dany keeps it a secret. Why? She doesn't tell Arstan because he is new and under some suspicion. Dany at this point absolutely TRUSTS Jorah. It is why she is so shocked when she discovers he was false to her. But instead the show makes out as if Dany doesn't trust Jorah to not tell the slavers what she plans. That shows a shocking level of mistrust. But to cap it all off, Jorah is impressed by Dany and walks up to her in the smoke. She then ignores him like hes scum and walks off. Sorry, you keep him out of the loop and then snub him for not thinking selling your dragon was a good idea. Dany and Jorah are meant to be close at this point. That is why exiling him is a big deal for Daenerys. Making out like, for some mystery reason, that Dany doesn't like Jorah is going to really clash with her shock and sense of betrayal when she finds out about his spying.

Not content with this, D&D then carried this on through to the end of the series. Daario's introduction is much more low key and he has considerably less of a role to play. It is Dany who plans the raid on the Yunkish. It is Jorah who leads it. Daario is caught and professes in front of Jorah and the plot pretty quickly flicks back to the interaction between those two. Dany has a serious argument with Jorah and accuses him of trying to keep men away from her so she relies on him; this being because Jorah says Daario could tell the Yunkish about their already planned night attack. Not content with giving Daario such a big role where he plans the battle, leads the battle, initiates the whole conflict and such, they then also take this argument away. Jorah says Daario could betray them and Dany just acts indifferently and asks Grey Worms opinion. Why would they not argue over this? Its what happens in the books.

I am really not looking forward to Danys season 4 story because of this. They pretty much butchered all of her interactions with Jorah and Barristan. They've also created this false tension which is going to either make her just exile him all coldly (which isn't true to the books) or will suddenly decide "oh wait I am supposed to like this guy and I trust him". If they decide to have the Jorah/Dany stuff like the kiss and fallout; I don't see how it can work. The context is totally different from that laid out by Martin and most of it is over by Yunkai as laid out. After this, Barristan spills the beans and he is sent on suicide mission. So they would have to invent scenes to incorporate this dialogue if thats what they intend. I also think the context will make Jorah look like a bastard for getting between Daario and Dany; when in fact Daario is only introduced to build more interaction between Dany/Jorah and of course foreshadow her later romance with Daario.

IMO Danys story is really deviating from the books.

Archived