On vocab

Slugabed

Hello!

I registered under the name Slugabed, a word that GRRM uses a couple of times in the books (I think one time was when Arya was at Harrenhall). My mom used to call us kids slugabeds when we slept late. I love the sound of it - slugabeds - it sounds exactly as it means. I always thought it was something she made up, so it made me all warm and fuzzy to read it in a book.

Another surprise was seeing "hidey-hole". It's what we call all the places the cats disappear to in the house.

My mom's from Buck's County, Pennsylvania, so I couldn't help but wonder if it's a regional thing. Maybe it reached Young George in Bayonne?

Regarding vocabulary, I had another surprise after reading an article "12 old words that suvived by getting fossilized in idioms" on Mental Floss, and immediately noticing a "wend" without a "way" in the books. I can't remember where, but GRRM also used "wend" with "way" a few times too. (It's a fun article if you get the chance to read it. GRRM also used the word "roughshod", which now comes with a vivid image.)

So, yeah, I guess you can say I get a little excited over these things. (!) Does anybody else have any words they find neat, either in definition or usage? Not so much whole quotes, but vocabulary, word choices, turns of phrase. I find GRRM's vocabulary charming.

I've recently completed the 5 and considering a re-read to pay closer attention to details. This forum has opened my eyes to so many things I missed!

Firstly, welcome to the forum. :cheers:

I like the way that GRRM rephrases ages, instead of 22, say, it would be said as two-and-twenty. I really think it is interesting the way that things are phrased in the books as they lend the story an authentic flavour but one may still understand what is being said.

1 welcome to the forum :cheers:

2 bucks county rocks. Greetings from historic Bristol borough.

3 I've never heard slugabed in my life, outside asoiaf. Great word though. Grrm's pseudo medieval English is awesome.

Eta

4 definitely reread. You have no idea how much you missed. My first read was so quick because i was so eager to get the story. Once you know how it goes there's no hurry and you can absorb so much more detail.

Archived