Gemma Files: Hexslinger and others

Cruella

Me starting this topic is perfectly absurd, and for this I apologize. I've been a fan of the author for ages, ever since I discovered her OZ fanfiction - as disgusting as anything I've read and as original as anything I've read save "the great ones". Her writing style pretty much locks you up in a head of one disgusting human being or another, worse prison than Oz by far, and step by step, you learn to understand a monster you've stumbled into a little too well. I've read and re-read these fanfics, which also ruined me for most other fanfiction.

Later I found out that Gemma Files (which turned out to be an official name) is also a professional writer of horror. That made perfect sense though - her world is scary enough even without the supernatural.

Her short story Emperor's Old Bones won International Horror Guild Award. I've read this one and couple of others, all I could get my hands on to, including Kissing Carrion which reminded me quite a lot of Meathouse Man. Her characters are much more peculiar than Martin's, though, which is why she'll probably stay more of a cult writer.

She also has a fantasy western series about insane gay outlaws possessed by ancient gods, that kind of thing. Hopefully I'll get this book when and if I visit USA, but for now it's out of reach. So I haven't read much of "official" work by writer, which, like I said, is why it's rather ridiculous of me to start this topic. Still, I was really looking forward to your insightful crowd's opinions on this writer and maybe this series (spoilers don't scare me), and I couldn't find any topic about her, so here we are.

It really does suck to be a fan of English speaking writers and to live in Russia...

Anyone read anything?

I've read a few of her short horror stories in anthologies; they've all been very good, particularly "each thing i show you is a piece of my death," an epistolary story co-written with her husband, SFF author Stephen J. Barringer. I keep meaning to pick up the Hexslinger books and her collections, Kissing Carrion and The Worm in Every Heart, but I never seem to get around to it.

Archived