Corvid communication beyond "King!" and "Quork!"

Maester Victor

I found this except last night and thought it would be helpful in assessing Bloodraven's emotional stance while skinchanging Jeor Mormont's raven:

"People, say Marzluff and Angell, can easily determine corvid's emotional tenor by reading the "language" expressed through the varying arrangement of their contour feathers, an unusual communicative feature (and surely a key channel of communication among the birds themselves)."

-Excerpt from, "How animals grieve" by Barbara J. King. The original reference is: Marzluff, John, M. and Angell, T. In the company of crows and ravens. New Haven: Yale University Press, 2005. pp. 141, 146.

We already have analyses based on the words the raven uses, the order in which they are used, and the grammar used. However, according to these corvid experts it appears that ruffling feathers and their placement may also prove important in assessing an emotional perspective. Does anyone have an electronic copy to assess the details of when the raven shuffled his feathers? I remember a few times, however without my books with me at university I'm relying on the forum to check. Is there mention of placement of wings, ruffling, or general movement in at opportune times that could suggest a change in emotional state?

Thanks for the help, Forum!

Archived