Meisha Merlin Clash of Kings Copy Not of the 500?

IamDace

Hey everyone...new here, but wondering if anyone had any publication info to help me out.

I recently aquired a MM copy of CoK, and I know it was limited to only 500 copies. 448 numbered, and 52 lettered.

However, on the autograph page, where it says "This book is number/letter:"....it is blank..no number or letter.

It is still autographed by GRRM and the artists.. but it's apparently not of the 500.

Does anyone know how many blank copies are out there like mine? I wrote Bill at Subterranean and he said that he has no idea.

..Hoping it's more rare than the lettered...=-P

Publishers always print extra copies in case of damaged books or whatever. They are supposed to be destroyed, though, if not needed. I vaguely recall something about this; the people who were supposed to destroy the extra copies took them and sold them instead, or something. Someone else might have a better memory. Kinda shady.

It's a PC (Publisher's) copy. I have one just like it. I don't know how many there are out there but MM should have written PC in them once they no longer needed them to replace any customer's copies that may have been damaged (but they didn't).

Usually the publisher will sell or give away these copies but the are usually marked.

The copies that were supposed to be destroyed (I believe) were the Dance with Dragons extras. The recycling center put sets together, mixing lettered and numbered books and boxes.

Thanks for replying, Justinian and Becca, and Merry Meet as well!

=-)

I'm new to the lands of Westeros...having moved from StephenKingland recently.

I used to make a living dealing in rare books on Ebay, but now just collect personally.

I know that the scarcity of a book affects it's value, and mistakes/errors can also make an edition skyrocket.

There are ONLY supposed to be 500 copies in circulation.

The numbered ones are expensive..

At 52 copies in existance...the lettered ones should be found in a beam of sunlight while mystical 'AhahAhahhhAhahh" music plays in the background.

The copies we have not only aren't supposed to be in circulation, but there are probably FAR less than 52 out there....by rarity values...the blanks should be worth more than the lettered. ( If I EVER sold it, that would be my argument..LOL)

I'm not ever selling my copy, and you should hang onto yours, also.

=-)

Archived