Help! I need some credible reviews for book 1

Ser Needshelp

What up everyone,

If the message wasn't too much of a giveaway, I'm in a bit of a pinch.

I'm currently doing a rhetorical criticism on A Game of Thrones and I am having difficulties finding lit reviews of the book. The reason I need reviews of the book is to explain the background of the rhetorical artifact, but all search has been in vain.

If anybody knows of any credible reviews (NY Times, Time, Chicago-Tribune, Washington Post etc.), I would be forever in your debt and calling. I know that the published versions of book 1 have quotes regarding the reviews of the book, but the actual reviews must be lost in the tombs.

I will give anybody complete permission to warg me at ANY TIME if they can help me out.

Sincerely,

One lost grad-student.

What up everyone,

If the message wasn't too much of a giveaway, I'm in a bit of a pinch.

I'm currently doing a rhetorical criticism on A Game of Thrones and I am having difficulties finding lit reviews of the book. The reason I need reviews of the book is to explain the background of the rhetorical artifact, but all search has been in vain.

If anybody knows of any credible reviews (NY Times, Time, Chicago-Tribune, Washington Post etc.), I would be forever in your debt and calling. I know that the published versions of book 1 have quotes regarding the reviews of the book, but the actual reviews must be lost in the tombs.

I will give anybody complete permission to warg me at ANY TIME if they can help me out.

Sincerely,

One lost grad-student.

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/08/14/books/review/george-r-r-martin-and-the-rise-of-fantasy.html?pagewanted=all&_r=0

There's a NY Times review, which took about two seconds to find on google, We don't mind helping out but put a little effort into it. :P

I think the best hit I've found in the last fifteen minutes is Paul Levinson's review out of Tangent magazine in 1996. Paul Levinson is now a best selling author, college professor, and TV show guest -- so that has some weight if Tangent magazine does not. Looks like he transcribed it to his blog so some words are mispelled (sic).

http://open.salon.com/blog/paul_levinson/2011/03/22/a_game_of_thrones_-_my_fall_2006_review_of_the_1st_novel

Ser, the archives are more difficult to access without subscriptions to the major publishers, yes?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

From Publishers Weekly

In a world where the approaching winter will last four decades, kings and queens, knights and renegades struggle for control of a throne. Some fight with sword and mace, others with magic and poison. Beyond the Wall to the north, meanwhile, the Others are preparing their army of the dead to march south as the warmth of summer drains from the land. After more than a decade devoted primarily to TV and screen work, Martin (The Armageddon Rag, 1983) makes a triumphant return to high fantasy with this extraordinarily rich new novel, the first of a trilogy. Although conventional in form, the book stands out from similar work by Eddings, Brooks and others by virtue of its superbly developed characters, accomplished prose and sheer bloody-mindedness. Although the romance of chivalry is central to the culture of the Seven Kingdoms, and tournaments, derring-do and handsome knights abound, these trappings merely give cover to dangerous men and women who will stop at nothing to achieve their goals. When Lord Stark of Winterfell, an honest man, comes south to act as the King's chief councilor, no amount of heroism or good intentions can keep the realm under control. It is fascinating to watch Martin's characters mature and grow, particularly Stark's children, who stand at the center of the book. Martin's trophy case is already stuffed with major prizes, including Hugos, Nebulas, Locus Awards and a Bram Stoker. He's probably going to have to add another shelf, at least. Major ad/promo.
Copyright 1996 Reed Business Information, Inc. --This text refers to the Hardcover edition.

ETA - Sorry, this looks more like a promo than professional review.

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/08/14/books/review/george-r-r-martin-and-the-rise-of-fantasy.html?pagewanted=all&_r=0

There's a NY Times review, which took about two seconds to find on google, We don't mind helping out but put a little effort into it. :P

I need book 1, not dance as much. I had seen that as well, but I'm not focused on the whole series yet. I'm arguing that the female leads in 1 are designed as existential feminists using burkes rhetoric of rebirth. I can't use anything later than AGoT.

• 2 weeks later...

I think the best hit I've found in the last fifteen minutes is Paul Levinson's review out of Tangent magazine in 1996. Paul Levinson is now a best selling author, college professor, and TV show guest -- so that has some weight if Tangent magazine does not. Looks like he transcribed it to his blog so some words are mispelled (sic).

http://open.salon.com/blog/paul_levinson/2011/03/22/a_game_of_thrones_-_my_fall_2006_review_of_the_1st_novel

Thank you!

• 4 months later...

Archived