Brienne and Sansa: Ashford Tourney Theory

Isobel Harper

Note: This is a bit long, but worth the read. (TL;DR below.) I believe I am the first person to connect the Ashford Tourney theory/5th suitor theory to Brienne.

The Hedge Knight:

There is a scene in the first book of the Dunk and Egg series, The Hedge Knight, which is theorized to be connected to the Song of Ice and Fire Series. In The Hedge Knight, Dunk and Egg attend a tourney at Ashford which celebrates Lord Ashford’s daughter’s 13th name day. This tourney and the events surrounding it make up the majority of the book. The particular scene in question involves the champions defending (successfully) Lady Ashford as queen and love and beauty who are the following:

1. Lyonel Baratheon
  2. Leo Tyrell
  3. Tybolt Lannister
  4. Humfrey Hardyng*
  5. Prince Valarr Targaryen

*(Egg speaks about Hardying admirably, having seen him win a melee the year before at Maidenpool where he championed the Kingsguard Knight Donnel Duskendale and the Lords Arryn and Royce.)

Although it’s known that Valarr Targaryen won 7 more tilts, the outcome of the tourney is uncertain; Dunk was imprisoned for striking a prince in defense of a woman (Tanselle, who Dunk was smitten with) and doesn’t see its end. It’s also not known what became of the maid of three and ten, Lady Ashford, later in her life.

A Song of Ice and Fire:

I think that these suitors parallel the journey of not one, but two characters in the main series – Brienne and Sansa.

Brienne

Baratheon: Brienne falls in love with Renly.

Tyrell: House Tyrell allies with Baratheon and marries Margaery to Renly. Brienne joins their Kingsguard.

Lannister: Jaime and Brienne maintain to keep Catelyn Stark’s vow and Jaime gives Brienne Oathkeeper.

Hardying: To be seen, though her search for Sansa might bring her to the Vale soon.

Targaryen: To be seen, but might be introduced to Targaryen(s) soon with Aegon having landed in Westeros and Danaerys predicted to arrive soon as well.

Sansa
Baratheon: Sansa is betrothed to Joffrey.

Tyrell: Sansa is betrothed to Willas through Olenna.

Lannister: Sansa marries Tyrion.

(Arryn: Sansa is briefly betrothed to Sweetrobin. In this parallel, Humfrey Hardying championing Lord Arryn in the melee at Maidenpool before Ashford would symbolize (Harry) Hardying championing over (Robert) Arryn.)

Hardying: Sansa is betrothed to Harry the Heir.

Targaryen: To be seen, but might be introduced to Targaryen(s) soon with Aegon having landed in Westeros and Danaerys predicted to arrive soon as well.

Similarities between Brienne and Sansa so far:
Both fall in “love at first sight” with a Baratheon when they visit the girls’ homes. Both are introduced to House Tyrell in the series after Margaery has married said love interests. Both have vows tied to Lannister. (Sansa’s marriage vows to Tyrion. Brienne and Jaime’s vows together to Catelyn.)

Possible outcomes of theory:

1. Dunk could be considered the “champion” of Ashford as he won the trail by combat after the tourney. Brienne is heavily hinted at being a descendant of Dunk in AFFC. Both Dunk and Brienne undergo a search for a maid (Dunk for Tanselle; Brienne for Sansa, a “maid of three and ten”). Sansa’s “champion” will be Brienne who ultimately brings her to safety or even back to Winterfell.
  2. There is perhaps no Stark on the “suitor” list because Stark is the endgame. Brienne ultimately ends up in Sansa’s service, and Sansa returns to Winterfell.
  3. Sansa might become betrothed again, most likely to Aegon Targaryen. (Valarr was married to Kiera of Tyrosh; this might be a nod to Aegon who feigns having a Tyroshi mother. Plus, I doubt she’d be betrothed to Jon.) Said suitor might be her endgame/future husband or perhaps her endgame is with the Starks. (See above on Brienne possibly returning her to Winterfell.)
  4. Stark is connected to only two tourneys in the main series: The Hand’s Tourney and The Tourney at Harrenhal, with Clegane and Targaryen being the champions, respectively. I predict that Sansa will have a Trail by Seven to clear her guilt of Joffrey’s murder. These three tourneys point to who her seven will be - Baratheon (Gendry?), Tyrell (Loras or Garlan?), Lannister (Jaime), Hardyng (Harry), Targaryen (Aegon or (less likely) Jon), Clegane (Sandor), and “Dunk” (Brienne). (I’m not certain of who the Baratheon and Tyrell might be.)
  5. Sansa will be connected to the Targaryens in more ways than an engagement or love interest, if this does occur. She will be thrown in the middle of the Second Dance, which may very well may be between Aegon and Daenerys and/or Greyjoy, and will possibly act as conciliator. She will likely side with any (or both) Targaryen [see Ragnarok connection below], seeing as Sansa has all of the same foes as Targaryen does. (Side note: Sansa is currently in the Vale which is commonly compared geographically to Switzerland, which has a long history of neutrality and negotiating amongst countries at war.)

Ragnarok connection: (See also comment below.)

When I first encountered the “5th suitor theory," the name Valarr struck me as odd as it’s not a typical Targaryen name. I happened be researching information about Ragnarök, a Norse apocalyptic story with some close parallels to A Song of Ice and Fire. (Sansa is a close parallel to Idunn.) Then… bingo. I came across the names Vidarr and Vali. These half-brothers were both figures that ultimately survive Ragnarok.

Valarr appears to be a portmanteau of Vidarr and Vali. Vidarr was a god associated with vengeance who slays Fenrir to avenge his father, and Vali was a god who was conceived for the sole purpose of avenging his brother. Valarr could represent the two possible half-brothers in the series – Jon (if R+L) and Aegon. Or Valarr could represent Daenerys, who seeks revenge for her father and brother, Aerys and Rhaegar, respectively. Or Valarr could represent any Targaryen who ultimately avenges the death of Sansa’s father and brother for her. (Side note for you Blackfyre theorist: there is another Vali in Norse mythology. One mentioned above was the son of Odin. The other Vali was the son of Loki. It's unclear whether these two Valis were always separate individuals, or if they were once the same person with the mythology who evolved into two separate people.)

TL;DR: The Ashford Theory/5th suitor theory is a parallel between Brienne and Sansa. The prediction is that either Sansa becomes betrothed to a Targaryen, that Sansa and/or Brienne side with the Targaryens, or that Brienne will ultimately find Sansa and swear allegiance to her.

(For anyone interested in additional information about the Ragnarok connection with Sansa.)

Iðunn (Sansa) is sitting at a banquet in Asgard (King's Landing). Then, Iðunn (Sansa) is abducted by the Þjazi (Littlefinger). Loki (Dontos), by command of Þjazi (Littlefinger), lures Iðunn (Sansa) out of Asgard (King's Landing) into "a certain forest." Þjazi (Littlefinger) arrives in eagle shape, snatches Iðunn (Sansa), flies away with her and takes her to his home, Þrymheimr” (The Vale)."

Iðunn = Sansa. Apples are a common symbol associated with Iðunn; Sansa is also a type of apple.

Bragi = Tyrion. Bragi, Iðunn's husband, is most of all known for fluency of speech and skill with words. Also accused of being her brother’s killer – a parallel to the Lannisters being involved in Robb’s death.

Þjazi = Littlefinger. Þjazi is a giant that disguises himself as an eagle (bird). Littlefinger changes his sigil from a giant to a bird (mockingbird).

Asgard = Kingslanding.

Loki = Dontos. (In this instance, I suppose.)

Þrymheimr = The Vale. Þrymheimr is in a mountain.

• 1 month later...

(For anyone interested in additional information about the Ragnarok connection with Sansa.)

Iðunn = Sansa. Apples are a common symbol associated with Iðunn; Sansa is also a type of apple.

Bragi = Tyrion. Bragi, Iðunn's husband, is most of all known for fluency of speech and skill with words. Also accused of being her brother’s killer – a parallel to the Lannisters being involved in Robb’s death.

Þjazi = Littlefinger. Þjazi is a giant that disguises himself as an eagle (bird). Littlefinger changes his sigil from a giant to a bird (mockingbird).

Asgard = Kingslanding.

Loki = Dontos. (In this instance, I suppose.)

Þrymheimr = The Vale. Þrymheimr is in a mountain.

Oh wow, there's definitely a parallel here. Does LF know about Aegon? If not then chances are that when he does find out, he'll ditch Harry for him.

Oh wow, there's definitely a parallel here. Does LF know about Aegon? If not then chances are that when he does find out, he'll ditch Harry for him.

I don't think LF knows about Aegon yet, but LF is good at improvising so I'm sure he'll try to make some use out of the prince, however that may be.

I don't think he'll ditch Harry just yet. LF's primary goal at the moment is controlling the North, the Riverlands, and the Vale which he hopes to do through Sansa and Harry the Heir in some way. But once he gets control of that (if he gets it), who knows.

Interestingly Vidarr would be the younger brother of Vali, striking vengeance against Fenrir. Another close approximation could be Valonqar. Not trying to put on a tinfoil. Just an observation considering the idea of the valonqar and its vengeful connotations.

There might be a connection there. Valonqar could be Martin's diminutive of Vali, and it has been theorized that Aegon might be the valonqar, hence "little brother" being given in Valyrian in the prophecy.

But I'm more of the opinion that the valonqar is either Jaime or Tyrion personally.

Archived