Why do some readers Hate the Targaryens?

Logicsbane

I know a lot of people do, I was just wondering why. I don't feel GRRM steered any of us that direction intentionally, did he?

We only know 2 for sure Targs:
Dany. Opinions vary, justly I might add.
Viserys. Super Douche of Joffrey proportions .
We've met the Bastard Brynden Rivers. What's not to like about BloodRaven?

We have the History of the Dynasty through various recollections in the series and the AWOIF book and the Dunk and Egg novellas.

To me it seems like there is some good and some bad Targs, I'm just curious to hear from the Haters why they don't like the Targs.

P.s.- for the record, I think Dragons are bad for Humanity and will be the ultimate antagonists by series end...

I thought people just like or dislike a certain Targ, not all of them. 

For example, many people like Dany and Rhaegar, many people hate Mad King and viserys. Many people pitied poor little Raehys and Aegon.  

Many people also pitied mad king's queen.  

GRRM is a good writer. If he would want his readers to like Targs, he would make Targs more likable. For most of the fans, not just a minority. The reason why Stannis has such a huge fanbase is that GRRM wants him to have such a huge fanbase. He wrote him that way. He gave him a great POV (Davos). The reason why so many fans hate Dany is because GRRM wants her to be controversial. Readers don't like Targs because GRRM decided that Targs are deeply flawed and that they are the antagonists.

GRRM is a one true god of Westeros and he decided who are we going to like. Not us. We like who he wants us to like. He wanted us to like Starks, so he wrote them in a positive way (yes, there are exceptions. Some fans love Victarion and he failed with Darkstar). 

Ned was our main introduction into Stark family and he was a paragon of honor. Cat said that Starks are not like other men. And Stark children are all very sympathetic, positive and heroic. When they do something bad, they have a very good excuse.  We only have good Starks in a story. But let's look at our introduction to Targs. We hear that Aerys was horrible, that Rhaegar was a rapist, we can see that Vis is a jerk and we hear how they were practicing incest. We also hear a stereotype about 50% chance of madness. There are a lot of fans out there who believe that literally 50% of Targs have taint. That is because GRRM wanted us to see Targs in a more negative way.

And all those hints how fire is bad and how it consumes and how dragons plant no trees and things like that, how the worst king in history was a Targ, how a bunch of wars was started because of them, how a united Westeros was not necessary the good idea, how even if we forget and dismiss their history they still have a 'taint'. A lot of fans think that this ridiculous stereotyped 'taint' is a good enough reason to kill them all.

They are the only family in the books with a history of (ridiculous, stereotyped, stigma enhancing) mental illness. And GRRM showed us , how ”mental illness is dangerous and how people with mental illness are more often then not dangerous, violent and how they should stay away from responsibilities” (I am getting sick writing that. It is so offensive and wrong. Seriously, dragons are not a problem in a real word, but stigma of mental illness is a reason why people are losing jobs, homes, family, freedom in real world). And as such he put in our head that Targs are more or less bad for Westeros. Even if they do everything right, the risk that their children will have a taint is still real. At least this is a message I am getting. And he reinforced negative stereotypes with a negative stereotype-50% of Targs are mad. I really feel that he is trying to say to us that Targs=bad. Because he is a good writer he didn't present them as one dimensional villains. He represented them as a real family, that sometimes feels even more real than Stark family. But the subliminal message is still there.  

So this is a reason why there is so much Targ hate, IMO. GRRM wrote them in a controversial way. You can argue that they are the villains or that they are simply gray. 

Btw, they are my favourite house. But I understand why some fans hate them.

GRRM is a good writer. If he would want his readers to like Targs, he would make Targs more likable. For most of the fans, not just a minority. The reason why Stannis has such a huge fanbase is that GRRM wants him to have such a huge fanbase. He wrote him that way. He gave him a great POV (Davos). The reason why so many fans hate Dany is because GRRM wants her to be controversial. Readers don't like Targs because GRRM decided that Targs are deeply flawed and that they are the antagonists.

GRRM is a one true god of Westeros and he decided who are we going to like. Not us. We like who he wants us to like. He wanted us to like Starks, so he wrote them in a positive way (yes, there are exceptions. Some fans love Victarion and he failed with Darkstar). 

Ned was our main introduction into Stark family and he was a paragon of honor. Cat said that Starks are not like other men. And Stark children are all very sympathetic, positive and heroic. When they do something bad, they have a very good excuse.  We only have good Starks in a story. But let's look at our introduction to Targs. We hear that Aerys was horrible, that Rhaegar was a rapist, we can see that Vis is a jerk and we hear how they were practicing incest. We also hear a stereotype about 50% chance of madness. There are a lot of fans out there who believe that literally 50% of Targs have taint. That is because GRRM wanted us to see Targs in a more negative way.

And all those hints how fire is bad and how it consumes and how dragons plant no trees and things like that, how the worst king in history was a Targ, how a bunch of wars was started because of them, how a united Westeros was not necessary the good idea, how even if we forget and dismiss their history they still have a 'taint'. A lot of fans think that this ridiculous stereotyped 'taint' is a good enough reason to kill them all.

They are the only family in the books with a history of (ridiculous, stereotyped, stigma enhancing) mental illness. And GRRM showed us, how mental illness is dangerous and how people with mental illness are more often then not dangerous, violent and how they should stay away from responsibilities (I am getting sick writing that. Seriously, dragons are not a problem in a real word, but stigma of mental illness is a reason why people are losing jobs, homes, family, freedom in real world). And as such he put in our head that Targs are more or less bad for Westeros. Even if they do everything right, the risk that their children will have a taint is still real. At least this is a message I am getting. And he reinforced negative stereotypes with a negative stereotype-50% of Targs are mad. I really feel that he is trying to say to us that Targs=bad. Because he is a good writer he didn't present them as one dimensional villains. He represented them as a real family, that sometimes feels even more real than Stark family. But the subliminal message is still there.  

So this is a reason why there is so much Targ hate. GRRM wrote them in a controversial way. You can argue that they are the villains or that they are simply gray. 

But the series looks like it's heading for a targ restoration and grrm seems to have somefsome favouritism towards Targs like his Stark bias. I also don't think stannis has a huge fanbase I love him but don't think millions do.

They represent elitism and oppression with WMDs.

I hate GRRM's dragons and Targs kind of like dragons so...

:agree:  among others. My question would be why people like them. They were a dynasty of tyrants who took their throne because of their use of WMD which ending in a bloodbath and they caused at least five civil wars because they couldn't keep their pants on.

:agree:  among others. My question would be why people like them. They were a dynasty of tyrants who took their throne because of their use of WMD which ending in a bloodbath and they caused at least five civil wars because they couldn't keep their pants on.

Well every noble house are tyrants to some (tyrants just another word for king) then again I think it was 7 or 8 rebellions was it not 6 or 7 blackfire rebellion of various seriousness then Roberts rebellion.

But the series looks like it's heading for a targ restoration

If the series went everywhere it looked like it was headed it would be a much different story.

I don't hate Targs in principle.  But many of the Targs we've seen come across as entitled brats.  I don't hate her, but I can't sympathize with Daenerys at all.  Her decision-making is frustrating, and she seems to go out of her way to prove that she'd be a poor ruler.  

Maester Aemon was the exception, along with Dunk (more or less) and Baelor Breakspear (as far as we saw).

But the series looks like it's heading for a targ restoration and grrm seems to hsce somefavouritism towards Targs like his Stark bias. I also don't think stannis has a huge fanbase I love him but don't think millions do.

Really how? Nothing screams Targ love more then 'the Mad king was mad, and his first son was also a mad rapist, and his second son was an abusive jerk and his daughter is going to be a destructive villain’... 

He wrote more about Targs then he did about any other house, but that doesn't mean they will survive or that they are the good guys (or the grey guys) or that he likes them. GRRM said that his favourite character is Tyrion and he thinks that Tyrion is a villain. The huge amount of material about Targs in books is part of a price for 'honorable' Starks. He is trying to write things realistic and grey and there were some bad Starks in history, but they are his favourite house, he said that they are his heroes in the story. So he can't write a story about Starks killing each other and things like that. It is one thing if 'bad' Starks are mentioned by the way, but it is something completely different if he writes about 'evil' Starks in a detailed way. BUT he can afford to write about 'evil' and 'interesting' Targs, because he doesn't care about them as much as he cares about Starks. 

Targs are flawed, interesting (in my opinion) and this is a reason why he is writing about them so much. It has nothing to do with liking them or Targs restoration.

GRRM is the biggest Targ hater. And we can see this in the fandom. The whole 'characters are grey' and 'all family are equal' is a myth. He decided that Targs are bad, which is way they are bad. 

Well every noble house are tyrants to some (tyrants just another word for king) then again I think it was 7 or 8 rebellions was it not 6 or 7 blackfire rebellion of various seriousness then Roberts rebellion.

Μaybe but at least they are strangers who by their don't insult what is sacred for the others. I don't remember how many wars they were and that is why I said at least 5.

Μaybe but at least they are strangers who by their don't insult what is sacred for the others. I don't remember how many wars they were and that is why I said at least 5.

What do u mean insult what is sacred aegon adopted the gods and had maesters on hand to teach him the customs of his new kingdoms. Is it the incest because nobody truly cared apart from the church.

What do u mean insult what is sacred aegon adopted the gods and had maesters on hand to teach him the customs of his new kingdoms. Is it the incest because nobody truly cared apart from the church.

Seeing how many people were against the incest even in Aenys' children , because of course they couldn't do something since the Targs had dragons, I think so. It doesn't have to actually do something incest was an isult and a mortal sin no matter what.

Archived