Brienne's one word

Gaston de Foix

About eight months ago, I gave my word to Happy Ent that I would explain why I thought Brienne's one word wasn't 'sword'.

Re-reading the old locked thread, I recollect that the alternatives I gave were 'Sansa' and 'Arya'. But I'm more focused right now on trying to falsify 'sword' than I am prove an alternative.

Let me start by being candid; I think 'sword' is the Joe Bloggs answer, as Happy Ent himself said, the argument against it is obviousness. My first assumption was sword, I can't really speak as to how obvious or not it was for others. But the obvious answer is totally not GRRM's style.

The other argument I would posit it against it is that it doesn't make much sense of the character arc of Brienne.

Now clearly GRRM brought Brienne back to the circle of conflicting oaths between Jaime, Brienne and Catelyn (the name used here to refer to both Uncat and Cat) for a reason.

That the resolution against the conflicting oaths is agreeing with Uncat's demand to assassinate Jaime is not clear at all. She's already rejected it once out of hand, agreeing to forfeit her life rather than swear a false oath. Admittedly with Podrick's life in the balance, the choices Brienne faces are extremely limited.

But still, it's not like in these situations other characters haven't be able to get out of very difficult situations. And I think the answer of 'sword' just doesn't do justice to her character and her ability to be able to find a resolution to this conflict that isn't 'sword'.

To take a good example, take Brienne's distant ancestor in the events of The Sworn Sword. Ser Eustace wants Dunk to assassinate the Red Widow. The Red Widow wants Dunk to hand over Bennis (?)and withdraw Eustace's accusation about the wood. It's a seemingly impossible dilemma. Dunk manages to find a middle way, making for a good ending, if not a fairy tale one.

My sense is that like Dunk, Brienne will manage to use her wits to scramble out of the position she is in, maybe not perfectly, but avoiding the worst of all possible worlds.

There's clearly a lot of darkness in Brienne's character and her hanging is part of it, but still she does have an objective already- finding Sansa Stark and protecting her, and the seeds have been sown elsewhere of others looking for Sansa with perhaps less noble motives (see e.g. Ser Shadrich). Besides it's clear to my mind at least that the contrast between homely, cheek-chewed Brienne with Oathkeeper and Alayne putting her faith in Littlefinger is one GRRM intends to draw in the future.

The quest for Sansa has been what Brienne was all about since ACOK.

If she suddenly switches course at the end of AFFC and goes looking for Jaime to assassinate, what was the point of taking us throughout the Riverlands looking for Sansa and making not much discernible progress? 'Sword' just doesn't make sense from this perspective.

I should also add, assassination by Brienne suddenly doesn't make sense in terms of Jaime's character either. Consider the following quote from the end of ASOS in Jaime's POV.

"When he was done, more than three-quarters of his page still remained to be filled between the gold lion on the crimson shield on top and the blank white shield at the bottom. Ser Gerold Hightower had begun his history, and Ser Barristan Selmy had continued it, but the rest Jaime Lannister would need to write for himself. He could write whatever he chose, henceforth.

Whatever he chose...".

What kind of redemption will Jaime have if he unsuspectingly gets assassinated by Brienne halfway through TWOW or wherever we next see him?

Mis-direction of this kind is a bit of GRRM hallmark actually, see e.g. Davos with Stannis when he arranges for Edric Storm to be abducted. In fact Davos is a splendid example, because there are little clues in the chapter in which he reads about the events beyond the Wall and his earlier encounters with Mel and Stannis.

Brienne's one word is some sort of conclusion of the chapter of her character arc in AFFC. I have to be honest, I haven't put the little clues together and got the right answer but I do believe the links are there and can be put together. Here are some suggestions as to the clues..

i)Uncat has a Crown in her hands (specifically Robb's crown) and is contemplating that when Brienne is brought before her.

ii) the Tully words are family, duty, honour. Duty before honour, family before duty.

iii) Brienne has just figured out that Gendry's is Robert's bastard.

Another comedic option is "MAIDEN!". Anyone could have sympathy for that...

In all seriousness, here is a few I would consider:

"Stark!" - a rally cry, or whatever

"Combat!" - an attempt to demand trial by combat, similar to Sandor Clegane v. Beric

"Mercy!" - because nobody wants to hang from a rope

"Catelyn!" - an attempt to appeal to anything humanity left in Stoneheart

the same reasoning above would probably apply to Sansa or Arya, but they are dead (in Cat's eyes) and bringing this up would be like salting her wounds. This is why I would discount both daughters names.

None of those are really good options imo, but they are all better than "sword" and the girls names, imo. We will, in the end, have to wait and see.

Honestly I've always been so bothered by the way GRRM ended this chapter arc that I've actually consciously forced myself not to speculate about it. "She screamed a word." Really? That's just very poor writing in an otherwise terrific series. I'm not completely opposed to ending on such a major cliffhanger. if the chapter had ended with "[insert word here] she screamed" I would have more or less been fine but this is an instance of making an exciting cliffhanger to beat over the heads of his readers with absolutely no hint of his usual subtlety. Another option would have been to just end with the hanging and omit the word she screamed so that her POV chapter in the next book is either a pleasant or unpleasant surprise for his readers who may have thought she was actually dead and begin it with "[insert word here] she screamed. Sorry, I don't mean to hijack this thread, I just had to vent my frustration about this.

By the way, i saw it mentioned already a few times that Dunk is related to Brienne. How so?

I dont think its a sword either.

Im only not sure what UnCat knows about Arya, becuase BWB men saw her, had her for days. They know she wasnt dead.

And we have Septon on the Quiet Isle with info about Sansa.

The word should be something about that, i think.

Then again it would be extremely cool if Brienne would realize she should stop behaving idealistically and honourably, ( a bit of Jaime comes into her head, a bit of common sense), shouts "Sword" and then after she is released she continues the search for Sansa.

Why? Just because she is in the situation where she brakes an oath no matter what she chooses - so she chooses whats right, and does that anyway. thats at least would be totally within her character now.

Especially after shock of Biter and the seeing UnCat and now being hanged.

I think thats a bit too much even for Brienne.

I don't know if there's too much fuss about this Brienne word. It could be just "Stop!" or "Agreed!", and the important things about this ending would be:

1. Brienne has yielded and agrees to kill Jaime.

2. We don't know if it's too late for her or for Podrick.

Is this a far-fetched theory? Any opinions?

I also found this cliffhanger terribly artificial.

A less dramatic option is that the word was "Stop!" or "Wait!", and that the BwB obligingly paused for a moment ("What, changed your mind?"), giving Brienne the opportunity to come to an agreement with Stoneheart using complete sentences. The problem with this one is why Martin would have bothered using such artificial measures to hide what the word was, though.

ETA: Ha, beat me to it. I think I already answered your question though.

By the way, i saw it mentioned already a few times that Dunk is related to Brienne. How so?

It's the shield design that she has painted in AFFC which she remembers from an old shield in the armoury back on Tarth. This is the same design that Duncan the Tall devises for himself back in The Hedge Knight. The implication is that Duncan has some intimate connection with Brienne's ancestors.

Also it has been noted that Brienne is tall, just as Duncan was.

Guest Друг-&#1

A less dramatic option is that the word was "Stop!" or "Wait!", and that the BwB obligingly paused for a moment ("What, changed your mind?"), giving Brienne the opportunity to come to an agreement with Stoneheart using complete sentences.

But why would the BWB (Stoneheart in particular) be so obliging? She's already passed her sentence. Sword is the only word that is going to have any impact on LS, since it indicates complete capitulation on Brienne's part. She's not interested in hearing excuses at this point.

I have posted this idea in every incarnation of this thread since the dawn of time. My personal pick for her one word is "Sapph--er-I--kheh-ge-huh-Sa-hurhn-Sa-pph--Gruh-ire-hrugh-ess-huhn" (not a literal quote mind you, but something to that affect). The point being that we're all expecting a miracle moment that'll save her from the noose and let her go merrily on her way. GRRM is not generous with second chances, and that particular lightning bolt has struck before for Brienne.

Some story arcs are cut short in their prime. It happens. Breinne's death at the hands of Stoneface's minions could still serve a great purpose though (one that justifies her extensive inclusion in the story). Suppose that she did die after saying "Sapphires", now suppose that two of the BwB members that we already know to be in Jaime's camp were to be overheard musing about it while in their cups some time later. If Jaime overhears the word "Sapphires", it'll definitely catch his attention. If he eventually learns that she died rather than betray her oath, it may have a profound impact on his own story arc.

That, or it could be that Nightflyer was correct and she'll say "Tyrion" to remind unCat what a mistake her rash treatment of him turned out to be.

But why would the BWB (Stoneheart in particular) be so obliging? She's already passed her sentence. Sword is the only word that is going to have any impact on LS, since it indicates complete capitulation on Brienne's part. She's not interested in hearing excuses at this point.

I agree. No other word would have as great an impact as that one. Sometimes the easiest answer is the right answer. I didn't have a problem with GRRM ending it on a cliffhanger like that. It keeps us all in suspense for Brienne's decision.

Is Brienne going to be in ADWD?

No other word would have as great an impact as that one.

There's another word which could have a greater impact on UnCat than "sword". It's "Arya". As far as I can remember UnCat hasn't heard of her daughter for a very long time, she doesn't know even know if Arya's alive. Just imagine UnCat's reaction at realizing there are people there who actually met her long-lost daughter.

While given the way GRRM set up the scene, I don't think Brienne did in fact yell "Wait!" I think it could easily have the same impact as "sword" if the BwB take it to mean that she's changed her mind, (honestly, why else would she ask them to wait?). Plus, they'd only have to pause for about half a minute to ascertain whether or not that was true. If she started giving what they saw as excuses, they'd just hoist her up.

I do like that theory better than her saying something cryptic, like one of the girls' names--everyone would just go "Huh?"

everyone would just go "Huh?"

BwB Dude 1:"Did she say Sapphires?"

BwB Dude 2:"I dunno, kinda sounded like it. Hard to tell through all the choking."

BwB Dude 1:"What an odd thing to say. What do you think she meant by that?"

BwB Dude 2:"Body's still kickin' you want to cut her down and ask her?"

BwB Dude 1:"Nah, I don't wanna be hangin' next to her. Still, it's an odd thing to choose for your final words."

BwB Dude 2:"Eh, let's go. We gotta get another status report from ole Tom. Maybe we can have us a few drinks with Sevens while we're there an see what he makes of it."

Guest Друг-&#1

There's another word which could have a greater impact on UnCat than "sword". It's "Arya". As far as I can remember UnCat hasn't heard of her daughter for a very long time, she doesn't know even know if Arya's alive. Just imagine UnCat's reaction at realizing there are people there who actually met her long-lost daughter.

No doubt she would have had that very reaction when people who had taken Arya prisoner and dragged her around half of the Riverlands pulled her body out of the Green Fork and brought her back to life with a kiss of fire. ;)

koolkat735,

While given the way GRRM set up the scene, I don't think Brienne did in fact yell "Wait!" I think it could easily have the same impact as "sword"

If all it does is the same thing as the word "sword", why not just use "sword"? Using the approved word adheres to the terms of LS's ultimatum. Brienne's refusal to answer her ultimatum was got her hanged in the first place, and the BWB obviously has no qualms about that outcome.

Im not 100%, but I think I remember Brienne telling Uncat about Arya and Uncat says that she knows already. Also, as has been pointed out already, the people traveling with Uncat were the ones that had Arya with them for a good while...... I imagine she knows about Arya.

Not sure if it's been mentioned on this forum before, but I saw someone on another forum suggest that the word was Stannis. Something about Catelyn promising Brienne she wouldn't stand in her way when the time came for her to kill Stannis.

However, not sure how that would work out since Catelyn obviously thinks that she's a traitor and about as honourable as Jaime.

Not sure if it's been mentioned on this forum before, but I saw someone on another forum suggest that the word was Stannis. Something about Catelyn promising Brienne she wouldn't stand in her way when the time came for her to kill Stannis.

However, not sure how that would work out since Catelyn obviously thinks that she's a traitor and about as honourable as Jaime.

I had mentioned that and I still have a feeling that it is a possibility. However, I think it may be a crackpot theory based on all that has happened since that promise(it was promised when Brienne swore herself to Catelyn's service).

Archived