Favorite Character so far?

brocklaser

Well I finished this book just before the series started and was wondering who was your favorite charachter by the time you finished this book?

Mine was Tyrion. I enjoyed the chapters from his perspective and find he is an interesting and devious character.

Haven't yet finished the book, but so far I can say Tyrion, Jon and Arya are my favorites and all for different reasons.

Tyrion - Love his intelligence and wry sense of humor. He's totally underestimated by everyone because of his stature, which I hope later on becomes a positive thing for him in the series.

Jon - I empathize with him being an 'outcast'. Hey, who didn't get picked on in school?

Arya - Love her fiery spirit and confidence and she's another one I look forward to seeing hopefully do some amazing things later on.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm only about half way through, but so far love the Tyrion chapters the most- especially when he's with Jon.

I think of all the characters so far he has the most interaction with everyone else, and has the most... depth to him. A lot of the non-Stark characters so far fit certain archetypes (not really a criticism, there's a lot of people in this book) so Tyrion is a nice enigma. Somehow you're left wondering what his true motive is, even when you're seeing from his POV!

This is my first post in this forum. Let me just say that I've been reading the threads and I'm so glad to have found a forum to discuss Game of Thrones.

As far as a favorite character I would have to say Arya is my favorite simply because she is such a free spirit. Tyrion, as many have mentioned, is the best reading and I love his sardonic wit. Danerys is also amazing. I love the dynamic of all the characters. Character I'd most like to throttle.... Joffery! (he's just a creep!)

Can't pick just one

Jon - I can really well relate to characters who are somehow outcast.

Tyrion - outcast in some way, intelligent and he has a good sense of humour :)

Jamie Lanister - annoying so far, but I like him.

Arya - Strong and intelligent and so determind to achieve whatever she wants.

Hey guys, new here...almost done with Game of Thrones. Got into the books when I was educated about them via the HBO TV Series. I have to say my favorite character is Jaime Lannister! Love his wit, love his badassery- sure, he's involved in an incestuous relationship with his sister, but so what? Creepy, but that ain't harming anyone, and I don't approve of a lot of his actions but I understand why he does them. I can't wait to learn more about him. Sure he's painted as a "bad guy" so far but damn, he's still cool.

For book one ( I changes with book 2)

PoV:

1. Arya

2. Jon

3. Daenerys

Non-PoV

1. Hodor

2. Sandor Clegane

3. Old Nan

Wolves:

1. Ghost

2. Nymeria

3. Summer

4. Shaggydog

I dont care for the other two, yet anyway (grey wind)

• 2 weeks later...

Jon Snow - on some level, i could really relate to him, being an outcast and all. also Ghost.

Jaime Lannister - he's badass, and i like his storyplot -- the ones i've read in wiki.

Tyrion Lannister - intelligent and funny.

the Hound - he is scary, awesome.

Ned Stark - very honorable and just. i got freakin' angry when he died.

Arya Stark - strong and rebellious. and determined to be who she wants herself to, and not who what other people want her to be.

• 2 weeks later...

For the people mentioning Jaime Lannister - I've not quite yet finished the book, so perhaps there's more I'll encounter in the last 50-100 pages I will read tonight. But, so far, I find he's the least developed character in the book. I mean, so far, I've only seen him in like 4 or 5 "scenes", and then only for like a minute each time. He seems rather like a cardboard villain to me, so far. I think GRRM is a great writer, but it seems to me he needs to develop Jaime more (perhaps he does in the 2nd book?).

Actually, most of the antagonists, save Littlefinger, Cersei and Tyrion, seem pretty 2D.

Now, on to characters I *do* like - Varys the Spider, the King's spymaster. Don't know how much to trust him, but so far, even though he doesn't outwardly do much of anything to help shape matters, I get the feeling he is going to play a very key role at some point. Whether for good or for ill, I cannot say, but there's something he says to Ned, which I thought to show some character (although it could be a lie). This is not an exact quote, but Ned asks whom he serves, and he answers to the effect that "I Serve the Realm".

He strikes me as someone who, at least I think, has no other ambitions other than to be what he is and do what he does, and to try to spare as many people in the realm from suffering as he is able. But, he also realizes the limits of his ability to do that.

I also find it very interesting that he's an eunich. So far, though, I've never seen it explained why he's a eunich? I think in most ancient cultures, they made men eunichs who were to be in the personal household service to an important female (queen, princess, dutchess, etc), so that none could accuse them of infidelities with the woman. Why would a spymaster need to be a eunich? Perhaps it was a sign of his loyalty, or to make him above suspicion with regards to fears that he might let be seduced to betrayal?

Brandon - it appears I'm not going to get much more of Bran's story until the later books, but it seems the gods have some role for him to play - the dreams with the crows suggest there is yet more to come.

Arya - who doesn't love a spunky tomboy?

. . . rather than what we actually know about him. Jaime is a great character.

Yes, exactly what I said. I'm glad you agree with me. *grin*

That is, my point is that we know virtually nothing about Jaime Lannister after reading the entire almost 1000 page tome. We do know he'd throw a boy to his death from a tower, simply because he heard and saw the wrong thing at the wrong time.

Before you try to defend him saying he was trying to protect his children, keep in mind other options were open to him. He could have simply taken the children and fled to the Free Cities or beyond. He could have given himself over for execution but sent the children to live with Grandpa in Casterly Rock - Robert would have been angry, but I don't think Ned would let him hurt the children.

In any case, there's really no character development for Jaime in the first book, so I must disagree that he's, "a great character, even in book one."

YMMV.

Yes, exactly what I said. I'm glad you agree with me. *grin*

That is, my point is that we know virtually nothing about Jaime Lannister after reading the entire almost 1000 page tome. We do know he'd throw a boy to his death from a tower, simply because he heard and saw the wrong thing at the wrong time.

Before you try to defend him saying he was trying to protect his children, keep in mind other options were open to him. He could have simply taken the children and fled to the Free Cities or beyond. He could have given himself over for execution but sent the children to live with Grandpa in Casterly Rock - Robert would have been angry, but I don't think Ned would let him hurt the children.

In any case, there's really no character development for Jaime in the first book, so I must disagree that he's, "a great character, even in book one."

YMMV.

My favourite characters are:

-Arya

-Jon

and Robb for main characters. I also rly think Thoron of Myr is cool:P. Winning the melee tourneys and putting his sword on fire:P..

Also lord Timmen seems rly funny..

Oh and Tyrion!

My least favourite characters are a bit different in the tv show and book cause someone apparel rly matters.

But I dislike robert arryn junior a lot.. Same for cats sister.

And Rickon, I mean there is something to say for him with his parents gone and all, but he still annoys me and worries me about the future of the starks..

Archived