Robert vs Jaime

Revan Baratheon

Robert in his youth was a seasoned killer.He was a savage ofc,but one of the finest killers alive.He also killed rhaegar who apparently excelled at everything.

Jaime is considered to be the finest swordsmen in westeros before he lost his hand.Even weak and with hands tied,he nearly defeated brienne.

Jaime lacks robert's brute strength while having more skill and versatility(as he is using sword and robert is using hammer) Robert has more endurance while jaime better jouster.

So robert(young)vs jaime(2 hands) ?

I'm not going to make a call, but does anyone wonder if Rhaegar's fate had anything to do with the fact that most swordsmen in Westeros practice against other swordsman and may be at a severe disadvantage when facing a warhammer-wielding opponent, particularly if it's a maul?

I'm not going to make a call, but does anyone wonder if Rhaegar's fate had anything to do with the fact that most swordsmen in Westeros practice against other swordsman and may be at a severe disadvantage when facing a

warhammer-wielding opponent, particularly if it's

a maul?

Yea im not too great with weapons.i just assumed that sword is better than hammer,but it can totally be the other way,im no expert

I'm not so sure Rhaegar was one of the best fighters of his time tbh. He only became interested in fighting at all when he read something in a book (presumably something that had to with the prophecy of the PtwP) and was always more interested in books and music whereas Robert, Jaime and the like actually like fighting, which probably means they'd enjoy training at arms. Rhaegar probably only saw it as a duty or some such. I'm not denying that he was great, but I probably wouldn't even place him in my Top 10 at the time of the Rebellion. The one occasion where he really outdid himself was at the Tourney at Harrenhal (I wondered who would have won if Jaime had been allowed to participate in it) but the other tournaments he participated in were usually won by Barristan or Arthur Dayne.

Besides his fight at the Trident we don't really know much about Robert's fights so there's not much information to go on. From Ned and Jaime's POV we know that he was really strong, and given the fact that he uses a warhammer it pretty much only takes one body hit for Robert to win the fight. I still think Jaime would probably beat Robert (he thinks so himself when he fights Brienne but that may just be wishful thinking). As Barristan reflected, when it comes down to really great fighters it's the small things that make the difference (if you face the sun, have uneven ground etc.). I'd give Jaime a 70/30 chance against Robert I think.

I'm not so sure Rhaegar was one of the best fighters of his time tbh. He only became interested in fighting at all when he read something in a book (presumably something that had to with the prophecy of the PtwP) and was always more interested in books and music whereas Robert, Jaime and the like actually like fighting, which probably means they'd enjoy training at arms.

I think you have a good point here that's likely overlooked by most readers. People seem to work harder and gain more from their practice when they are driven by passion rather than duty. And as you said, Rhaegar came late to arms training.

Rhaegar was very important as a symbol for the Targaryen loyalists, representing someone who had the potential to be a good leader. In a lot of ways, he's a perfect symbol because he died young and was never called upon (or tested) to fulfill the promise many saw in him.

Rhaegar was very important as a symbol for the Targaryen loyalists, representing someone who had the potential to be a good leader. In a lot of ways, he's a perfect symbol because he died young and was never called upon (or tested) to fulfill the promise many saw in him.

I agree!!!!

Yea im not too great with weapons.i just assumed that sword is better than hammer,but it can totally be the other way,im no expert

A sword is better than a warhammer.Untill full plate armor comes into play,that is.While you would definitely be able to score more hits with a longsword,you would have a hard time getting past plate armor.Blunt weapons on the other hand are the best suited for it.

I'd say Jaime, more clever and astucious. Lighter too, Jaime would just have to dance around Robert until the latter be out of breath and endurance.

Rhaegar was good at any task he settled himself to, so I dont think he was that amazing warrior, just fucking good, but not on the level of Jaime or Robert.

Robert would win without a doubt. He was so strong that he used to wield his WAR HAMMER with 1 hand and according to Ned he coudnt hold it with both of his hands for long and not only strenght but he was also skilled with his hammer , because its easy to fight with sword but it is not easy to fight with hammer.

He defeated Rhaegar, because of his skills and mostly force.

Roberts Hammer would hit Jamies sword with such a strenght that it would send a shock in Jamies hand making it weak just for a few seconds and that would be the time

when Robert will hit him anywhere on Jamies body and take him down for good.

Jamie is no match for Robert at all. Only if Jamie was as strong as Robert and wielded a sword like ICE, only thn he might give Robert some fight otherwise

not in 7 hells he could win against younger robert.

Some ppl say Jamie was clever but he coudnt be clever and smarter thn Rhaegar.

He lost his hand and that is a proof of his cleverness.

Robert only needs 1 or 2 shots hitting jamie on right positons and Jamie is a goner

Robert would win without a doubt. He was so strong that he used to wield his WAR HAMMER with 1 hand and according to Ned he coudnt hold it with both of his hands for long and not only strenght but he was also skilled with his hammer , because its easy to fight with sword but it is not easy to fight with hammer.

I think fighting with a sword would take more skill than fighting with a hammer because you can bludgeon your adversary to death with a hammer, regardless of armour, while you'd need to find a chink in the armour with a sword to do any real damage to your opponent.

I think fighting with a sword would take more skill than fighting with a hammer because you can bludgeon your adversary to death with a hammer, regardless of armour, while you'd need to find a chink in the armour with a sword to do any real damage to your opponent.

Hammer has 1 major dangerous point if you dont hit your opponent with that, your blows are useless and sword has several points, anyone of them can give you dangerous injury. Its small and light. That is why most of the knights and soldiers have swords and not hammers in their hands.

I have fought with 5 different kinds of swords when i took ninjitsu classes (in my clan), If you are quick enough you can take anyone down who is fighting with the Hammer and specially hammer as heavy as Roberts. It slows you down.

That is why most of the knights and soldiers have swords and not hammers in their hands.

Not really. The reason why most knights had soldiers have swords and not hammers is because swords have been overly romanticized. In reality, spears and polearms would be much more common.

I have fought with 5 different kinds of swords when i took ninjitsu classes (in my clan), If you are quick enough you can take anyone down who is fighting with the Hammer and specially hammer as heavy as Roberts. It slows you down.

Somehow, I think the heavy plate armor already takes care of the slowing. The hammer is just icing on that particular cake. Jaime isn't the type to shed his plate armor, so it's slow guy with a sword versus slightly slower guy with a hammer. Not ninjutsu master versus slow guy with a hammer.

Hammer has 1 major dangerous point if you dont hit your opponent with that, your blows are useless and sword has several points, anyone of them can give you dangerous injury. Its small and light. That is why most of the knights and soldiers have swords and not hammers in their hands.

A sword blow on full plate armour wouldn't do much damage compared to the same blow by a hammer, so unless the swordsman finds a weak spot in the armour he won't do any lethal or permanently-debilitating damage. And maces were equally common as swords in the Middle Ages (in Europe at least), especially because they had the "blunt weapon" advantage on armour-wearing knights than swords did not. I think Jaime would be more than quick enough to dodge Robert's blows.

Some ppl say Jamie was clever but he coudnt be clever and smarter thn Rhaegar.

He lost his hand and that is a proof of his cleverness.

Well then, since both Robert and Rhaegar are dead while Jaime isn't, by your logic that must mean that he was cleverer than the both of them.

A sword blow won't penetrate plate armour. That's why you go close, do a bit of "half-swording" and "harnischringen" and stab through the joints. The funny part: if you go close, a hammer won't carry a lot impact and do hardly any damage at all.

Oh, and ninjutsu classes don't mean you know anything about fighting in plate armour. That's european fencing, with some big differences.

And superior.

Where is the hide smiley :cool4:

Archived