Jon and Sansa's relationship?

Theon Godjoy

Ehm technically Aegon is Jon's brother...and he's presumed dead. I mean Aegon Targaryan not Aegon Blackfyre the murmur's dragon.

I was comparing Jon's thought processes to Sansa's. Since Jon thinks he's Eddard Stark's son, he thinks that Robb is his brother.

Also Robb will always be Jon's brother regardless of what he learns of his parentage.

That's different from being attracted to someone you've thought of as your sister for your entire life!!

Exactly. The Westermarck effect seems to apply to children raised together in the same family/domestic grouping from early childhood (birth to age 6) whether they are blood relations or not. That certainly would apply to Jon and Sansa.

On the other hand, cousins (or siblings) not raised together from early childhood can be sexually attractive to each other.

Exactly. The Westermarck effect seems to apply to children raised together in the same family/domestic grouping from early childhood (birth to age 6) whether they are blood relations or not. That certainly would apply to Jon and Sansa.

Well, it certainly didn't apply to Theon and Asha and Theon was older then 6 when he left Pyke (10?), so I think we can discount this effect in the world of asoiaf.

I also think we shouldn't mix up our own experiences of growing up with growing up in a household based on the Middle Ages. In such a household, day-to-day interaction between a boy and a girl, 3 years his junior would be very limited. They had vastly different interests, Jon with the fighting and other outdoor activities, Sansa with her sewing and dress-making and what not. :D I'm pretty sure they were not schooled together, because of the gender and age difference.

Iirc they took their meals together at the high table, but I find it highly unlikely that Jon would sit beside Sansa, instead of Robb and Arya, the two siblings he was clearly the closest too. So they would know that they're related and have a family affection for each other, just like the one Jon has e.g. for Rickon who he probably also had little contact with. He surely wouldn't enjoy her condescending "poor Jon", especially coming from a younger girl, but being Jon he would think that such is his lot and not blame Sansa (much) for her behaviour.

Sansa knows that they share a father, but that's very ambivalent. It makes him family, but still far beneath her. For Sansa his status held importance, but of course that doesn't prevent her from holding affection for him. She could also be bff with Jeyne Poole (who also belonged to the household of course) and I'm sure she liked Jeyne Poole, but she still considered her beneath her.

Now all that might have changed and they could possibly see each other in a different light. I would ship them, were they not related. :blushing:

It may not but again culture does play into it. Theon was disgusted when he found out it was Asha. Victarion first got aroused but then couldn't picture Asha as his wife because she was Balon's daughter and remembered her when she was little.

How they were conditioned to see each other is a factor in the books. Jaime/Cersei are mentally disturbed and aren't a good example of anything. I mean they had sex in front of Joffrey's corpse.

It may not but again culture does play into it. Theon was disgusted when he found out it was Asha. Victarion first got aroused but then couldn't picture Asha as his wife because she was Balon's daughter and remembered her when she was little.

I agree. I wasn't arguing against the cultural conditioning, I was arguing against "the Westermarck-effect". The cultural norms are much more important imho then this effect that imho doesn't exist in asoiaf. Had Theon never found out who Asha was, he would have got it on with her, no questions asked. :)

I agree. I wasn't arguing against the cultural conditioning, I was arguing against "the Westermarck-effect". The cultural norms are much more important imho then this effect that imho doesn't exist in asoiaf. Had Theon never found out who Asha was, he would have got it on with her, no questions asked. :)

Yes. He was away from her long enough to not know what she looks like. Sansa is a prettier version of Catelyn who is quite vivid for Jon since she almost played the role of evil stepmother but not really because she just ignored him. What happened with Theon and Asha shouldn't happen with Jon and Sansa. & he still calls her his sister as of ADWD.

And how exactly is being siblings not a relationship? Relationship doesn't necessarily imply sexual.

I wasn't implying a sexual relationship. I was implying that Sansa hated his guts. And seeing as she is on the early teen age, she probably won't talk to Jon. How can you have a relationship when you think the other person doesn't exist? Sure you could go technical on me and say extreme hatred on your half-brother is a relationship.

I wasn't implying a sexual relationship. I was implying that Sansa hated his guts. And seeing as she is on the early teen age, she probably won't talk to Jon. How can you have a relationship when you think the other person doesn't exist? Sure you could go technical on me and say extreme hatred on your half-brother is a relationship.

Do you have any evidence in the text to support the idea that Sansa hated his guts or felt extreme hatred? I would say quite the opposite, actually. I don't think they were close but every time she thinks of him it is with love and fondness. She feels worry and sadness for him when she sees Yoren, she prays for him, and wishes that she could go see him. Jon also remembers her as well and has a memory of her once telling him to compliment a girl on her name advice he takes with Yigritte.

Jon can name his son Robb. He just has to be quick about it and beat Sansa to it.

Sansa doesn't hate Jon tho :huh: . She thinks fondly of him and wishes to see him again.

Jon and Sansa seemed to like each other well enough, although Sansa probably did not have a lot of respect for a literal lucky bastard.

One of the positive consequences of her experiences with Cersei and Petyr Baelish is that she was disabused of any notions that Highborn people are somehow more honorable or more respectable than bastards such as Jon Snow. We know that explicitly because she thinks of Jon in kind and even grateful terms during her talk with Myranda Royce.

I fully expect that if and when they meet again it will be a joyous experience for both, if perhaps a bit bittersweet.

• 2 years later...

they were not very close when they were younger, but only because catelyn would instill her beliefs regarding bastards to sansa. however, when sansa is in vale, she begins to sympathize with jon and understand what it's like to be a bastard. she even thinks that "it would be so sweet to see him once again". her acceptance of him is a crucial part of her character development. jon also thinks of sansa and defends her position of power over winterfell. i think that they've matured past whatever made them separate as children and understand each other better. i think they would both be delighted to see each other again. also, their stories parallel each other a lot, and i believe it's done intentionally on GRRM's part.

here are some links to analyses/appreciation pages regarding their relationship:

http://asoiaf.westeros.org/index.php/topic/102353-thoughts-on-jon-and-sansa/

http://itwouldbesosweet.tumblr.com

http://swordinthedarkness.tumblr.com/post/19423444595/the-parallel-journey-of-jon-snow-and-sansa-stark

http://asoiaf.westeros.org/index.php/topic/71779-foreshadowing-and-symbolism-in-sansas-snow-castle/

Archived