Speculative Map of the Northern Vassal lords lands

Free Northman

We put together a speculative map of the borders between the Northern Bannerhouses lands some time ago.

I feel it captures the size of the Northern Vassal Houses quite appropriately. Obviously there are small inaccuracies on the map, such as exactly where specific borders may lie, and the lack of holdings for smaller houses like House Locke of Oldcastle, etc.

Certain textual errors like "Last Heart" and the "Grey Hills" are due to the original map that this one was overlayed on, and could not be edited out. But it doesn't detract from the overall effect in the slightest. The same with the positioning of House Cerwyn, which is incorrect on this map.

However, all in all, I think this map paints a reasonable picture of the size of the various Northern Lords holdings with the information that is available.

Anyway, here's the link to the completed map: http://postimage.org/image/6c2qx7kuz/

Feel free to comment.

End of EDIT

I might try to do that... But haven't you assigned any lands to House Hornwood? Or is that included in the Bolton lands now?

Thanks for pointing that out. I left out House Hornwood. Their lands are extensive too.

The Hornwood lands would stretch from the southernmost forkof the Broken Branch headwater (which forms their border with the Manderly lands, according to lord Manderly), up to their border with the Bolton lands - which is probably halfway between Hornwood and the Weeping Water, I would guess. And then an inderminate distance to the west, until the border with the Stark lands is reached. To the East it probably borders on the Flints of Widow's Watch's lands.

All in all, about 150 miles by 150 miles, mostly covering the woods and hills that surround the 3 forks that make up the Broken Branch Headwaters, probably ending where they flow together into one river.

Ok, I've drawn a prototype, just to make sure the division I gathered from your description is the division you meant in your description. I haven't decided what to do with sea dragon point and the stony shore yet, and I've tried to stick to the House colours as much as possible for the land colours. If you say the division is correct, then I'll start working on the "real" version of the map, a little better looking than this one.

http://img338.imageshack.us/img338/1052/thenorth.png

Ok, I've drawn a prototype, just to make sure the division I gathered from your description is the division you meant in your description. I haven't decided what to do with sea dragon point and the stony shore yet, and I've tried to stick to the House colours as much as possible for the land colours. If you say the division is correct, then I'll start working on the "real" version of the map, a little better looking than this one.

http://img338.images...52/thenorth.png

Damn. I'm very eager to see the results of your efforts, but it doesn't let me view the image. Says domain unregistered, whatever that means.

That is an absolutely astounding piece of work. Well done indeed!

It is virtually exactly like I envisaged it, only the impact is even more striking. It gives you an exact sense of how large the territories of some of these lords are. Obviously there is a bit of debate on where some of the less obvious borders would lie, but overall it is a wonderful effort.

Thanks a million. Now if we could just add the names of each House into the middle of each region.

Then the debates can start! Please continue with your second version. I can't wait.

OK, I now saw the legends next to the map, with the names of each House. My bad. Didn't see it first time around.

Some specific comments:

Maybe the Bolton lands extend a bit far into the Stark lands?

Maybe the Hornwood lands as well?

And the Barrowlands really are massive. It seems strange to me that White Harbor is right on the border of Lord Manderly's lands - you'd think his lands would stretch at least to the King's Road, but based on his comments to Davos, it does not. It is a bit of a puzzle.

And lastly, I'm not sure whether the border between the Umbers and Boltons shouldn't move down a tad around the area of the Long Lake. But again, this is difficult to assess.

Overall, everything is pretty much spot on.

You should maybe check the CK II mod Game of Thrones's map, it seemed to me extremely detailed but I have no idea how much of it is accurate;

http://cloud-2.steam...463D07C7ADB0EE/

That map is completely inaccurate, which becomes apparent at a cursory inspection thereof. Frans's map is far more accurate, based on the information from the books.

Good map, although i think House Locke should also have their own lands, because they are described as "noble house" not petty lords.

Yes, a number of less powerful houses have been left out here, including House Locke and whoever rules Ramsgate. But Manderly suggests that these Houses take their lead from him in any case, so it is not completely inaccurate to include them under his sphere of influence.

Ok, I'm almost done. One question: I'm not a native English speaker, so I don't understand if

Maybe the Bolton lands extend a bit far into the Stark lands?

Maybe the Hornwood lands as well?

means that the board between the Boltons/Hornwoods and the Starks should be more to the West or more to the East.

http://postimage.org/image/6c2qx7kuz/

Things I've changed: the Umber/Bolton boarder has been moved to the south. Sea Dragon Point has been given to House Glover (based on Asha's promises at the Kingsmoot) and the Stony Shore to House Tallhart (based on the fact that Benfred Tallhart led the defense against Theon's raids).

Things I have not changed: the Stark/Bolton and Manderly/Dustin boarders have not been moved (based on the fact that rivers are most likely used as natural boarders). House Locke has not been added, for the simple reason that we have no idea of the boarders of its lands.

Archived