Sympathy For Joffrey

Azureguy

I wondered if Robert deserved some of the blame for Joff's insanity. Hitting the child hard enough that his mother thought he was dead surely caused a bit of brain damage. Add that to the fact that he's inbred...

The reason Robert hit him in the first place was because he cut open a cat's belly to look for kittens. Joffrey was already a psycho

• 2 weeks later...

I'm certainly no Joff fan, but his death was truly one of the most horrifying scenes in the series, which is a testament to GRRM's writing. Joff's fear and horror in the situation (and the desperation of his mother), were depicted as clear as day. It was hard not to get sucked into that moment and emphasize with Joff and Cersei but empathy does not equal sympathy. When I started to feel bad, I looked back on his quotes about serving Sansa her brother's head on a silver plate, and about visiting her bedchamber to show his "little uncle how it's done," and I lost all sympathy. Another horrifying moment from the series that really sticks out for me is Davos's near-drowning experience when he tried to swim underneath the chain in the Blackwater. I can't say I've had any experience with drowning, but I'm pretty sure GRRM's description hit the nail on the head. I don't have CoK with me right now, or I would quote it. It was truly a powerful passage. I'm no writer, so I am genuinely impressed anytime an author can make me really feel as if I've seen/experienced things that I never have. Joff's death was very real. In the moment, I felt pain, horror, and desperation, but certainly no sympathy.

I am very sympathetic person and I tend to try to find good in everyone, but no matter how hard I tried I could never find even a bit sympathy for Joffrey. Yeah, he has a crazy mother, and he always missed a father figure in his life, but he is just such a sadistic little shit, I can only hate him. I don't feel sorry for him at all.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I felt sad during the wedding though not for The King Who Lost The North but when King Joff started kof...kof i was overjoyed.Considering all he did to Tyrion and Sansa he deserved every bit of it.

Well I also think his death was merciful. The Old Gods are really merciful, he gave their own a merciful death and they returned the favour. Ha!

Archived