Why all the love for Stannis?

Top12Gun

Having read the series 3 times and counting, I fail to see why so many people love Stannis. He let himself be manipulated by Melisandre, makes questionable decisions, and seems to totally lack personality. As a character, I find him mind-numbingly boring, and a little puritanical. So could a member in good standing with the Church of Stannis educate an open minded skeptic on why you support him??

Also:

Stannis bristled at that. "I defeated your uncle Victarion and his Iron Fleet off Fair Isle, the first time your father crowned himself. I held Storm's End against the power of the Reach for a year, and took Dragonstone from the Targaryens. I smashed Mance Rayder at the Wall, though he had twenty times my numbers. Tell me, turncloak, what battles has the Bastard of Bolton ever won that I should fear him?"

and

"Bolton has blundered," the king declared. "All he had to do was sit inside his castle whilst we starved. Instead he has sent some portion of his strength forth to give us battle. His knights will be horsed, ours must fight afoot. His men will be well nourished, ours go into battle with empty bellies. It makes no matter. Ser Stupid, Lord Too-Fat, the Bastard, let them come. We hold the ground, and that I mean to turn to our advantage."

Shortform:

Because he's a good military leader. He's quite smart, he understands Davos' value, he is a "good guy" or as close as you can get in ASOIAF. He puts the realm and his duty first (generally,) he believes in the law, he's a righteous man and he's fighting for justice for the Starks and punishment for the Freys, Boltons and Lannisters. He's also quite a nice guy, if not that personable.

I agree with this thread, Stannis has never truly appealed to me as a character. Sure he is the rightful king and I do pity the misfortune he has suffered in his life, but most of the time he is ungrateful and cruel.

Although I am definitely biased against anyone who doesn't like Ned Stark.

I agree with this thread, Stannis has never truly appealed to me as a character. Sure he is the rightful king and I do pity the misfortune he has suffered in his life, but most of the time he is ungrateful and cruel.

How is he ungrateful and cruel?

Although I am definitely biased against anyone who doesn't like Ned Stark.

Ned stark would have declared him king.

Stannis helps old ladies cross the Narrow Sea

Stannis composes emotional poems about spirituality and Qartheen dresses in his spare time

Stannis has impeccable grammar and a finely tuned vocabulary

Stannis opposes the true villain of the series, Lyle Crakehall

Stannis once roundhouse kicked Randyl Tarly in the face

He means to kill me. The thought was queerly comforting. Death did not frighten Theon Greyjoy. Death would mean an end to pain. "Be done with me, then," he urged the king. "Take off my head off and stick it on a spear. I slew Lord Eddard's sons, I ought to die. But do it quick. He is coming."

"Who is coming? Bolton?"

"Lord Ramsay," Theon hissed. "The son, not the father. You must not let him take him. Roose... Roose is safe within the walls of Winterfell with his fat new wife. Ramsay is coming."

"Ramsay Snow, you mean. The Bastard."

"Never call him that!" Spittle sprayed from Theon's lips. "Ramsay Bolton, not Ramsay Snow, never Snow, never, you have to remember his name, or he will hurt you."

"He is welcome to try. Whatever name he goes by

He means to kill me. The thought was queerly comforting. Death did not frighten Theon Greyjoy. Death would mean an end to pain. "Be done with me, then," he urged the king. "Take off my head off and stick it on a spear. I slew Lord Eddard's sons, I ought to die. But do it quick. He is coming."

"Who is coming? Bolton?"

"Lord Ramsay," Theon hissed. "The son, not the father. You must not let him take him. Roose... Roose is safe within the walls of Winterfell with his fat new wife. Ramsay is coming."

"Ramsay Snow, you mean. The Bastard."

"Never call him that!" Spittle sprayed from Theon's lips. "Ramsay Bolton, not Ramsay Snow, never Snow, never, you have to remember his name, or he will hurt you."

"He is welcome to try. Whatever name he goes by

E-Ro, do you have those qoutes memorized?

Also

This is Stannis Baratheon. The man will fight to the bitter end and then some.

-Tywin Lannister

One found Stannis though, one reached Dragonstone, and a king who still cared"

He reminded me of my duty, when all I could think of was my rights...I was trying to win the throne to save the kingdom, when I should have been trying to save the kingdom to win the throne.

Archived