Winds of Winter progress update

Bo Bice

He may be saying 1/4th complete, but that may be just to take some pressure off himself to finish it quicker. Hopefully he is actually further along than that. Or maybe I've giving Martin too much credit and he is literally 1/4th done...

Who knows what goes on in GRRM's mind?

Maybe he means that 1/4th has been edited and re-edited, and he's happy with it (like the 200 pages he first mentioned - the ones that might have been in ADwD), and another half or so (just my number) is currently in the works for tightening up?

I don't think he'd be finishing it up, but if he is great!

I expect the book to be finished end of 2014. Mark my words. Martin obviously suffers under Procrastination (presumably due to his perfectionism) and for him the best and only cure against this might be external pressure. thank you HBO in advance

I expect the book to be finished end of 2014. Mark my words. Martin obviously suffers under Procrastination (presumably due to his perfectionism) and for him the best and only cure against this might be external pressure. thank you HBO in advance

Yep, Autumn/Winter 2014 is my guess for when TWOW will be realised.

You know, with the potential foreshadowing and other complicated wordings he can sometimes put into a paragraph (see foreshadowing threads), it wouldn't surprise me if he's a slower writer, because man that must be exhausting! You can't type that up in a minute or two!

What do you people think D&D will do once they catch up? My theory is that they'll finish the series with their own "creative" take on how it ends (think first Fullmetal Alchemist series). Also, since they know a few things about the end, as GRRM told them, it worries me that we'll see these major plot points unfold on the show, but not how they were supposed to be!

From when a books completed, how long does it usually take to get published?

Politics in the publishing world and all that shit?

I think he said he was "done" with Dance and was just finishing up the editing in April, and then it came out in June. So maybe a couple months?

2 years = quarter of the book.That means 6 more years.

Well, keep in mind that if GRRM has now maybe 400 pages or so finished, 200 of those would've been written for Dance originally during 2010 and the first half of 2011.

Then I think during the latter half of 2011 GRRM worked on other projects, visited conventions and the like. Also, 2012 seems to have been full of other projects (Lands of Ice and Fire, World of Ice and Fire, tons of traveling and appeareances).

So, it seems like during the past 2 years, GRRM hasn't been able to work "full time" on tWoW, more like "half-time". There is still hope that the book may come out in 2015 if GRRM starts concentrating on tWoW (lets hope he has finished his various "side projects" by now).

I think he said he was "done" with Dance and was just finishing up the editing in April, and then it came out in June. So maybe a couple months?

If I find out that he's finished, I won't be able to wait another bloody two months!!

What do you people think D&D will do once they catch up? My theory is that they'll finish the series with their own "creative" take on how it ends (think first Fullmetal Alchemist series). Also, since they know a few things about the end, as GRRM told them, it worries me that we'll see these major plot points unfold on the show, but not how they were supposed to be!

They know everything that's gonna happen. They know all the major battles to come, all the deaths, how everyone ends up at the conclusion. They know everything they need to at this point.

About what I expected, really. Which is not good. 2014 is hopelessly optimistic, by the way. Seems that every year he commits himself to more and more new projects, and he's already a slow writer. Hard to see how he can stay ahead of the show, though it is certainly my hope.

About what I expected, really. Which is not good. 2014 is hopelessly optimistic, by the way. Seems that every year he commits himself to more and more new projects, and he's already a slow writer. Hard to see how he can stay ahead of the show, though it is certainly my hope.

We are the people who live in hope for 2014

I'm of the opinion that its done when its done. Do I want to read the book tomorrow? Absolutely. But I think TWoW has potential to be as good as ASoS, let the man write. The last thing I would want him to do is rush it.

This train has passed a long time ago.

GRRM basically faces three options:

1) finish the series even if from his POV its not perfect

2) let HBO finish the Job (i.e. be overtaken by them)

3) the series remains unfinished (Dune scenario)

2) would be embarrassing. REALLY embarrassing

3) see what happened to Dune (basically from haute cuisine to Cheeseburger)

From when a books completed, how long does it usually take to get published?

Politics in the publishing world and all that shit?

A typical book takes about a year, but with the hype for TWoW it could be done in 3-6 months.

I wonder what exactly takes George so long, especially this deep in the game. How much plotting needs to be done? I think he is a fine prose writer but how long does it take to write 150 words describing a knight's armor, 200 words describing the turtles swimming the Rhoyne?

All writers are different but the last half of a book (up until the very end) generally comes much quicker than the first half, but I look at TWoW more like the last half of the series. Only 1/4th done is pretty slow.

Archived