Will Arya meet "Arya" in TWOW?

Dragon Roast

In the Theon gift chapter Stannis sent Ser Justin Massey to Braavos to meet with the bankers, collect their coin and hire fighters for Stannis' cause regardless of any rumor. Almost as an afterthought he tells Massey:

"Oh, and take the Stark girl with you. Deliver her to Lord Commander Snow on your way to Eastwatch." Stannis tapped the parchment that lay before him. "A true king pays his debts."

Now, it is a safe bet that Massey, the banker, "Arya" and company will find some chaos at Castle Black--and that Lord Snow will be unable to provide Lady "Arya" his protection. Massey is on the hunt for advancement through marriage, so I would expect him to take Lady "Arya" with him to Braavos (to see if he might kindle some kind of romance and the Lordship that comes with her hand).

Massey is sure to be a celebrated visitor to Braavos. I expect many parties and social gathering. Meanwhile, Arya of House Stark a girl called "no one", will have begun an apprenticeship with Izembaro--a task that required her to have a beautiful face: her own. Arya knows how to move about small folks unseen, but she lacks the social graces of her older sister. To be able to move freely in any environment, she needs to learn these skills (she'll never blend in with a Court culture to kill anybody until she learns how to pass).

I expect that her apprenticeship with Izembaro will take her into Braavosi society to learn these skills. And that at some point Arya will meet Justin Massey and "Arya". It should be interesting. Both Aryas will be pretending to be somebody that they aren't. I expect Jeyne Poole will not recognize Arya, but the she will know Jeyne--and not let on that she knows.

I think that this will be a catalyst to a change in Arya's story arc. In the past when she's met folks from Westeroes in Braavos it has made her more Arya of House Stark and less some girl called "no one",

What do you think? Will Arya meet "Arya"? And if so, what do you think will happen?

Cheers

Sounds like a good scene, and Arya does need a catalyst to bring the Stark to the fore, but I was under the impression that she was being sent away from Braavos to meet Izembharo?

She is being sent to Izembharo, but we do not know where he is and where she is going. She was given a new robe to wear when she returns to FM central, so I think she'll be in or near Braavos.

Her story does need a catalyst of some kind if she is ever to return to Westeros. I hope it is one that has her returning as a Stark and not as some girl called "no one". All in all, yet another story-line to look forward to...

For a while there I thought that maybe Jeyne Poole would seek out the House of Black and White in order to end it all, and that the Faceless Men would give Fake Arya's face to the real Arya, who would eventually return to the north posing as the Fake Arya, when in fact she is the real Arya. But I think that's probably too complex and convoluted to actually happen. I think it would be cool, but that's just me.

I don't know if Arya and Jeyne Poole will meet. Poor Jeyne has been through a lot and I'm not sure she can handle the stress of maintaining her false identity while navigating the courts of Braavos. I hate to say it, but I think Jeyne will try to end her own life, which just might bring her to the House of Black and White. And there's a chance that she would meet Arya there--it's my belief that Izembaro is a person, not a place, and that her training will continue with him in Braavos, so she won't be too far away.

But honestly, given the current situation at the Wall [Jon dead or wounded, mutiny in the Watch, likely reprisals by wildlings against the mutineers and/or Selyse and her knights], I'm not sure that Massey and Jeyne will return via Castle Black, which brings up more problems, because Eastwatch lost several ships and may not be able to accomodate them either. Maybe the Umbers will help them get there, or the Manderlys if they switch over to Stannis' side after the battle at Winterfell. My point here is that just because Stannis ordered Massey and Jeyne Poole to go to Braavos doesn't mean they'll make it there--I hope they do, but it's a possibility that they might not.

How many people realize "Arya" is not Arya? Theon Greyjoy, the Boltons, its not clear anybody else does, though Lords like Manderly suspect.

Meaning, if Ramsay Snow dies, whoever marries "Arya" is in line to inherit Winterfell through her (stealing the Boltons plan) considering Sansa is missing and "Lady Lannister" besides. Sure, Jon would quickly realize she's Jeyne not Arya. However, until he (or Bran or Rickon) makes this public (if they make it public), lots of people are going to want to marry her, some might actually make her happy... happier. Mance Rayder would be first in line, in my mind. He's been trying to repeat the legend of Bael the Bard, and that involved getting a Stark daughter pregnant. He would also be taking a type of revenge on Jon Snow for taking away his "kingdom," he would be taking his boyhood home.

Another possibility, she's already pregnant with Ramsay's child. I haven't seen any book evidence for this, but presumably Ramsay was doing the "prerequisites." If so, there's a 50/50 chance that child would be heir to the Dreadfort now that Ramsay is legitimate: sons of first sons before second sons (assuming Fat Frey gives birth one way or another).

In any case, I don't see Jeyne leaving the North. If Arya were to meet her, it would be in the North.

In any case, I don't see Jeyne leaving the North. If Arya were to meet her, it would be in the North.

You may be right. It is a long way to Braavos and "Arya" will attract every every Knight two-steps ahead of the hedges (and a few who are already a few steps in the brambles). She has already attracted one of them, Ser Massey. I just don't see him giving up his prize that easily--especially as he travels with a Braavosi banker, who will get passage across the narrow sea (this is known).

It will be fun to see how this plays out. Jeyne going to Braavos helps several plot lines and POVs to touch, cross and interact. I don't think her staying in the North would have the same impact. Perhaps she will visit the Vale. The meeting between "Arya", her teacher Littlefinger and his "natural daughter" could be almost as satisfying as her meeting with Arya in Braavos. Or perhaps there is a different plan for Jeyne..

Regardless of what happens, we know that Jeyne Poole is a loaded revolver left on the stage waiting to be picked up and fired.

Archived