Crackpot: The Stark words are a terrifying prophecy.

Four-Eyed Crow

"Winter is coming."

Shaggydog+Rickon=Winter. It is known.

So when the Starks all down the line said their words, they meant that Rickon would be coming, and his reign of terror will bring the 7K to its knees in far more blood and rage than the Others could ever hope. I have no textual support for this except that Rickon really is coming back, which puts it in about the same spot as Tyrion being the third head of the dragon.

I really think and hope this is true. Maybe not the words, but the fact that Rickon is likely to be the most emotionally damaged, powerful member of a very powerful house, and his return to an already chaotic scene is going to be dramatic. Factor in the fact that his wet nurse is a deranged spearwife that once tried to kill his cripple brother and the fact that his daycare is on an island allegedly full of genocidal cannibal Northmen.

Rickon is coming, and you'd better be ready when he shows up, whether you're a family that fucked over the Starks or the Others themselves. Even Stannis will steer clear of this kid, and Dany would be ill advised to try her beasts against his warg skillz.

"Winter is coming."

Shaggydog+Rickon=Winter. It is known.

So when the Starks all down the line said their words, they meant that Rickon would be coming, and his reign of terror will bring the 7K to its knees in far more blood and rage than the Others could ever hope. I have no textual support for this except that Rickon really is coming back, which puts it in about the same spot as Tyrion being the third head of the dragon.

I really think and hope this is true. Maybe not the words, but the fact that Rickon is likely to be the most emotionally damaged, powerful member of a very powerful house, and his return to an already chaotic scene is going to be dramatic. Factor in the fact that his wet nurse is a deranged spearwife that once tried to kill his cripple brother and the fact that his daycare is on an island allegedly full of genocidal cannibal Northmen.

Rickon is coming, and you'd better be ready when he shows up, whether you're a family that fucked over the Starks or the Others themselves. Even Stannis will steer clear of this kid, and Dany would be ill advised to try her beasts against his warg skillz.

So are you saying Rickon will come back a savage warrior fighting for his House or something Psychotic like Ramsay whos out to basically destroy everything around him?

George Washington was like three when he was appointed county surveyor in my neck of the woods, and he was like ten when he kicked Cornwallis' ass. He had none of the emotional damage or magical powers of Rickon. Also, he didn't have a direwolf.

Given GRRM's love of history, I don't think any of this will have escaped him.

So are you saying Rickon will come back a savage warrior fighting for his House or something Psychotic like Ramsay whos out to basically destroy everything around him?

The former. Well maybe a little psychosis in there, too. But Rickon loved his family, and they're the only people that ever loved him. As long as Bran is around to keep him sober, I think he'll be a dangerous force for good.

Rickon the Terrible? Ooh he's so terrible. He's bad news, I don't want to know him.

When in fact the correct translation is Rickon the Awesome.

Rickon the Terrible? Ooh he's so terrible. He's bad news, I don't want to know him.

When in fact the correct translation is Rickon the Awesome.

Good point. Rickon the Awesome. Only his enemies will know him as Terrible. And they will only know that until they know nothing, which shouldn't take long.

One thing that I think is attractive about this theory is that it's not obvious, but the text supports the possibility, and I think that people expecting a vulnerable, disadvantaged baby stark will make it that much more awesome when we get a fierce, dangerous savage stark back from skaagos (a place even seasoned men like Davos outright fear, and that decent men dare not go) and hungry for vengeance/blood.

Rickon is coming.

....enter Rickon reigning terror with warged unicorn posts.

I tend to thing the Stark house words go hand in hand with Karstark house words. "The Sun of Winter." The Starks stay prepared for the long winter, and the Karstarks will help fight it.

All hail Rickon, King in the North and Bringer of Winter!

Also, OffT, anyone ever notice how there is an actual account on this forum called 'Winter,' but never posted anything and was only active at the time the account created?

This seemed a viable path for Rickon before Martin had to scrap his time-leap. Unfortunatly, I think Rickon will actually be less inclined to avenge his family. Kid's got problems. Big brother Bran is paralyzed, Daddy left with the King, Mommy chased daddy shortly after, castle got sacked all he knows and loves stripped away, and couldn't even stay with big bro Bran on his amazing journey North. Now he's supposedly hanging with cannibals on unicorn island?

Not sure we can count on Rickon to be the Stark of Winterfell that the North needs.

All hail Rickon, King in the North and Bringer of Winter!

Also, OffT, anyone ever notice how there is an actual account on this forum called 'Winter,' but never posted anything and was only active at the time the account created?

The King In The North!!!

Never noticed that but that blows.

Archived