What we're reading in July 2006

Calibandar

I forgot to mention, because I read them in early July:

The Davinci Code: A good page turner. Of course we know it is based on a fictional organizatoin. I did find out that Brown's math teacher father was a friend of mine from my Exeter training days.

The Door Into Summer by Heinlein. I thouught this was very enjoyable. It certainly kept me turning those pages, and the main character was well drawn. Surprising at first, the plot became predictable at a certain point, but it was still fun to watch the specifics of what we knew would happen. Warning: Written in the fifties, this book exhibits a male chauvinist attitude on the part of it's hero. But heck, I just found that to be historically interesting. (I'm not a feminist, so it would have to be pretty strong male chauvinism for me to make a remark like that.)

Hey!

Just finshed Robin Hobb's Forest Mage. I was curious, what with all the mixed reviews about it.

Although not Hobb's best novel to date, Forest Mage is better than what a lot of people are trying to make it.

My non-spoiler book review is now on the blog, if anyone is interested.

To anyone interested in reading this book, just go into it with an open mind and don't listen to all the crap that's being said. Some will like Forest Mage and some won't. It's as simple as that... :D

Patrick

Archived