Why is Jaquen in Oldtown?

Friendly Thenn

Just forget about Dany-Aemon vs Illyrio theories, we have no evidence besides another theories.

How many years between book 1-4? maybe just 3-4 years. so still in book 1 Aemon was 100+ oldman, that's the fact

Illyrio could sent a cheaper assasins. why he sent the most expensive killer's company in the world only to kill an blind oldman?

Even Robert refused to pay FM when he want to kill Dany, because it will cost the kingdom's finace collapse.

we know FM have many hitmans not Jaqen alone, sending a man to finish several killing by the most expensive company? that's too stingy.

I think Jaqen just got caught while murdered someone and then imprisoned on black cells not intend to go to the wall.

What kind of moron hitman who waits in the cell and hoping someone send him to the wall.

You claim there is no evidence of Dany's interest in her family?

You claim there is no evidence of Aemon knew about what was going on around the time of Robert's rebellion?

Do you also claim that there is no evidence that Aemon wanted to counsel Dany after he learned of dragons as well?

You claim there is no evidence of Illyrio attempting to buy/gain influence over Dany?

Aemon corresponded with Rhaegar before Robert's rebellion in his late 80's early 90's. Aemnon plenty of opportunity to die of natural causes before Illyrio's planned invasion of Westeros kicked off. He did not seem to feel the need to do so.

Illyrio could have hired cheaper assassins. Acouple of pentoshi cutthroats would work. Maybe send an unsullied. You don't pay a hooker to have sex with you. You pay her to leave. The faceless men can't be traced back to you and it won't even look like a murder. Getting linked to Aemon's death would be as damaging (if not more so) as letting him live

Robert also did not give dragon eggs as wedding presents or give away ships.

We know about half a dozen that stay at the house of black and white, We know they have meetings to give out the assignments. We have no idea of how many they actually have. We also know their price is high or dear but always within the means of the person making the request. They are not a for profit organization. They consider giving the gift a sacrament to their god. I cant find any hard evidence of their numbers, assignment practices, or of there money management.

Ok you claim there is no evidence for Illyrio, Dany, and Aemon. Then you invent a crime, capture, and sentence for JH. Riddle me this batman. JH was freed at the south end of the gods eye by the river. Then we run in to him due north of there at Harrenhal. If he did not mean to be headed north, why did he continue going north after he was free? Bravos was pretty much due east of where he was. and the shortest route to the sea was northeast to the quiet isle, Harrenhal was 200 miles out of his way back to Bravos.

Nothing in the books state how long JH was in the black cells. For all we know he went there after Yoren was in King's Landing. A Lothraki going north overland for about 2/3s the length of the continent as a tourist to see the wall is a pretty lousy backstory. It also does not gaurantee the maester will see him.

What kind of moron hitman gets caught trying to steal somebody's purse.... If it's stupid and it works, it isn't stupid.

You claim there is no evidence of Aemon knew about what was going on around the time of Robert's rebellion?

Do you also claim that there is no evidence that Aemon wanted to counsel Dany after he learned of dragons as well?

You claim there is no evidence of Illyrio attempting to buy/gain influence over Dany?

Aemon corresponded with Rhaegar before Robert's rebellion in his late 80's early 90's. Aemnon plenty of opportunity to die of natural causes before Illyrio's planned invasion of Westeros kicked off. He did not seem to feel the need to do so.

Illyrio could have hired cheaper assassins. Acouple of pentoshi cutthroats would work. Maybe send an unsullied. You don't pay a hooker to have sex with you. You pay her to leave. The faceless men can't be traced back to you and it won't even look like a murder. Getting linked to Aemon's death would be as damaging (if not more so) as letting him live

We know about half a dozen that stay at the house of black and white, We know they have meetings to give out the assignments. We have no idea of how many they actually have. We also know their price is high or dear but always within the means of the person making the request. They are not a for profit organization. They consider giving the gift a sacrament to their god. I cant find any hard evidence of their numbers, assignment practices, or of there money management.

Ok you claim there is no evidence for Illyrio, Dany, and Aemon. Then you invent a crime, capture, and sentence for JH. Riddle me this batman. JH was freed at the south end of the gods eye by the river. Then we run in to him due north of there at Harrenhal. If he did not mean to be headed north, why did he continue going north after he was free? Bravos was pretty much due east of where he was. and the shortest route to the sea was northeast to the quiet isle, Harrenhal was 200 miles out of his way back to Bravos.

Nothing in the books state how long JH was in the black cells. For all we know he went there after Yoren was in King's Landing. A Lothraki going north overland for about 2/3s the length of the continent as a tourist to see the wall is a pretty lousy backstory. It also does not gaurantee the maester will see him.

What kind of moron hitman gets caught trying to steal somebody's purse.... If it's stupid and it works, it isn't stupid.

There is not any real good evidence that he was going to kill Aemon. Saying Jaqen was going to the wall is an assumption, a big one at that. Soon after he leaves Arya, we hear about Balon getting killed by a man without a face so that could have really been his target.

Also, while I do think it is possible that he is there in Oldtown at the Citadel to kill someone, wasting a faceless man on Aemon who is sooo old and had zero political power and never met Dany before is ridiculous. I think it more likely Euron hired the faceless men to kill Balon, and either obtain the dragons book from the citadel, or kill Leyton Hightower causing problems between Oldtown and Highgarden opening up room for the Ironborn invasion.

From my reading, I remember that Leyton was getting very interested in magic, and the Tyrells had caused someone who was loyal to Stannis to flee their castle in the reach, I think it was a florent, and they fled to Oldtown because their mom married Into the Hightower family. The potential for a conflict while not very likely at this point, could be set in motion if the leader of Oldtown is killed and found next to the Florent that fled his castle. The Hightower's and their men may think the Tyrells had something to do with it.

I said no evidence refers to "killing maester aemon" not "Illyrio attempting to gain influence over Dany".

Illyrio sent FM to kill maester aemon just a theory, right?

Jaqen H'ghar just a name, he was not really from Lorathi anyway beacuse the real Jaqen already dead. Remember FM lost all of their identity

JH went to Harrenhall to seek Arya, because she is owed three deaths to repay the deaths she stole from R'hllor

And after harrenhall, did Arya also wanted to go north (seeking her mother)? Why he went away?

Just received another mission to kill Balon?

Which mission the harder one? Aemon or Balon. We know Jaqen always finished the job from the easier to the hardest one. why he postponed aemon mission when he knew that's easy and one step closer.

it's stupid for us as book reader, but not too stupid for Yoren and his group. They think Jaqen is a dangerous criminal, that's why he was chained in barn

• 3 weeks later...

I said no evidence refers to "killing maester aemon" not "Illyrio attempting to gain influence over Dany".

Illyrio sent FM to kill maester aemon just a theory, right?

Jaqen H'ghar just a name, he was not really from Lorathi anyway beacuse the real Jaqen already dead. Remember FM lost all of their identity

JH went to Harrenhall to seek Arya, because she is owed three deaths to repay the deaths she stole from R'hllor

And after harrenhall, did Arya also wanted to go north (seeking her mother)? Why he went away?

Which mission the harder one? Aemon or Balon. We know Jaqen always finished the job from the easier to the hardest one. why he postponed aemon mission when he knew that's easy and one step closer.

it's stupid for us as book reader, but not too stupid for Yoren and his group. They think Jaqen is a dangerous criminal, that's why he was chained in barn

Illyrio sent FM to kill Aemon is a theory yes...

JH is an identity for the FM. The face that identity wears is likely from somebody that died.--From what we have seen from Arya FM lose enough of their identity so as to take on a new one.

JH ended up at Harrenhal doing what you suggest. The reason for him going there was not given.

we do not follow JH. So other than not with Arya, where he went is a guess. Balon died shortly after... (a faceless man did it)

Balon was more or less on the way to the wall. North and west of Harrenhal about 200 miles out of his way.

There is not any real good evidence that he was going to kill Aemon. Saying Jaqen was going to the wall is an assumption, a big one at that. Soon after he leaves Arya, we hear about Balon getting killed by a man without a face so that could have really been his target.

Also, while I do think it is possible that he is there in Oldtown at the Citadel to kill someone, wasting a faceless man on Aemon who is sooo old and had zero political power and never met Dany before is ridiculous. I think it more likely Euron hired the faceless men to kill Balon, and either obtain the dragons book from the citadel, or kill Leyton Hightower causing problems between Oldtown and Highgarden opening up room for the Ironborn invasion.

From my reading, I remember that Leyton was getting very interested in magic, and the Tyrells had caused someone who was loyal to Stannis to flee their castle in the reach, I think it was a florent, and they fled to Oldtown because their mom married Into the Hightower family. The potential for a conflict while not very likely at this point, could be set in motion if the leader of Oldtown is killed and found next to the Florent that fled his castle. The Hightower's and their men may think the Tyrells had something to do with it.

There is not any real good evidence that he was going to kill Aemon.

Saying Jaqen was going to the wall is an assumption, a big one at that

Jaquen was in a cage being sent to the wall. Not an assumption.

Soon after he leaves Arya, we hear about Balon getting killed by a man without a face so that could have really been his target.

Could have been. He could have planned on the attack of raiders on the party going to the wall. He could have planned on getting released near Harrenhal in time to complete his mission.

.Also, while I do think it is possible that he is there in Oldtown at the Citadel to kill someone,

as far as we know that is all they do.

wasting a faceless man on Aemon who is sooo old and had zero political power and never met Dany before is ridiculous.

Read Sam's eulogy for Aemon.... Read Dany's interest in her family.... then look at what Illyrio has done to be an influence on Dany...

I think it more likely Euron hired the faceless men to kill Balon,

very likely.

and either obtain the dragons book from the citadel,

faceless men do not steal

or kill Leyton Hightower causing problems between Oldtown and Highgarden opening up room for the Ironborn invasion.

possibly

could be.

Jaquen set out to kill Aemon but got delayed.

He got another mission enroute kill Balon.

By the time he got back on track Aemon was enroute to the citadel.

Jaquen shows up at the citadel.

In a way this fits, but I can't see why anyone would want Aemon dead. He's 102 years old and off at the Wall, no longer in the game.

I'd say that Balon was killed by another FM and that Jaqen is not a regular FM operative, either an elite of some kind or no longer with "the company" and working for someone else entirely.

In a way this fits, but I can't see why anyone would want Aemon dead. He's 102 years old and off at the Wall, no longer in the game.

He was a good man... No. He was a great man. A maester of the Citadel, chained and sworn, and Sworn Brother of the Night's Watch, ever faithful. When he was born they named him for a heroa who had died too young, but though he lived a long long time, his own life was no less heroic. No man was wiser, or gentler, or kinder. At the Wall, a dozen lords commander came and went during his years of service, but he was always there to counsel them. He counseled kings as well. He could have been a king himself, but when they offered him the crown he told them they should give it to his younger brother. How many men would do that? He was the blood of the dragon, but now his fire has gone out. He was Aemon Targaryen. And now his watch is ended.---Sam on Aemon

Khal Drogo's death slowed the planned invasion of Westeros. Had things gone as planned both Dany and Aemon would have been living and in Westeros. Aemon had corresponded with Rhaegar until Rhaegar's death. When he learned of Dany he set out to offer her counsel. Additionally we do not know what Rhaegar may have written to Aemon about Varys (they were contemporaries)---

What did Varys say about men's letters being more valuable than their wallets?

I'd say that Balon was killed by another FM and that Jaqen is not a regular FM operative, either an elite of some kind or no longer with "the company" and working for someone else entirely.

I am pretty sure the house of black and white is a religion... and not the CIA. Their price is high or dear.. a years wages or a child... this is not a for profit organization. JH killed 3 men for Arya on dogma... and is respectful of all the gods...

Aemon was the oldest man in the Seven Kingdoms, not Westeros (that's Bloodraven.) Anyway, your point still stands. It would be ridiculous for someone to hire the most expensive assassins in the world to take out a hundred year old man.

Still, not everyone seems to be that intelligent, and it could have been feared that he would be able to do a lot of damage with Dany, before he died. Prior to the voyage, he was old and weak but not really sickly, right? I know a couple of 90+ year olds, and they are pretty hardy. Although, today's 90-year-old would be, what, 120+, or something? Relative to expected lifespans. I agree with you, but I think that Aemon could still be dangerous.

He was a good man... No. He was a great man. A maester of the Citadel, chained and sworn, and Sworn Brother of the Night's Watch, ever faithful. When he was born they named him for a heroa who had died too young, but though he lived a long long time, his own life was no less heroic. No man was wiser, or gentler, or kinder. At the Wall, a dozen lords commander came and went during his years of service, but he was always there to counsel them. He counseled kings as well. He could have been a king himself, but when they offered him the crown he told them they should give it to his younger brother. How many men would do that? He was the blood of the dragon, but now his fire has gone out. He was Aemon Targaryen. And now his watch is ended.---Sam on Aemon

Khal Drogo's death slowed the planned invasion of Westeros. Had things gone as planned both Dany and Aemon would have been living and in Westeros. Aemon had corresponded with Rhaegar until Rhaegar's death. When he learned of Dany he set out to offer her counsel. Additionally we do not know what Rhaegar may have written to Aemon about Varys (they were contemporaries)---

What did Varys say about men's letters being more valuable than their wallets?

I am pretty sure the house of black and white is a religion... and not the CIA. Their price is high or dear.. a years wages or a child... this is not a for profit organization. JH killed 3 men for Arya on dogma... and is respectful of all the gods...

I'm down with the Burn Notice idea going on here. Does that make Arya Fionna?

He was at the Citadel all through AFFC with Pate's face and a master key. That's plenty of time to accomplish his mission.

There is potentially an obvious reason for him to still be at the Citadel by the end of AFFC, and it has to do with that "master key". Pate dies because he fears being cheated---he's poisoned when he "tests" what the Alchemist gives him. The Alchemist, however, kills Pate without testing his own "merchandise", which could be a particularly ironic mistake, given the surrounding circumstances:

The hardest part had been getting down on his hands and knees to pull the strongbox from underneath Archmaester Walgrave’s bed. Though the box was stoutly made and bound with iron, its lock was broken. Maester Gormon had suspected Pate of breaking it, but that wasn’t true. Walgrave had broken the lock himself, after losing the key that opened it.

Inside, Pate had found a bag of silver stags, a lock of yellow hair tied up in a ribbon, a painted miniature of a woman who resembled Walgrave (even to her mustache), and a knight’s gauntlet made of lobstered steel. The gauntlet had belonged to a prince, Walgrave claimed, though he could no longer seem to recall which one. When Pate shook it, the key fell out onto the floor.

If I pick that up, I am a thief, he remembered thinking. The key was old and heavy, made of black iron; supposedly it opened every door at the Citadel. Only the archmaesters had such keys. The others carried theirs upon their person or hid them away in some safe place, but if Walgrave had hidden his, no one would ever have seen it again. Pate snatched up the key and had been halfway to the door before turning back to take the silver too.

The senile Archmaester Walgrave owns a strongbox with a broken lock and a lost key. Pate says that "supposedly" the key he grabbed from inside the strongbox opened every door at the Citadel, but never seems to test that at all (he doesn't, say, try opening a couple of doors with this key before handing it over to the Alchemist). And of course the Alchemist doesn't bother testing the key before killing Pate. And hey, the senile Archmaester Walgrave happens to own a strongbox with a broken lock and a lost key. So Walgrave owned at least two keys. Walgrave is senile, and senile people tend to mix things up. Walgrave had no reason to use either key, since he'd broken the lock on the strongbox and wasn't in a position to go gallivanting through any locked doors in the Citadel. So . . . isn't it possible that Pate grabbed the wrong key? Because the senile Walgrave had actually lost his master key, not the strongbox key?

Pate never tells us why he thinks this particular key is the Archmaester's master key. But even if Walgrave was carrying this key on his person when Pate was first assigned to him, or had flat-out identified this key as the master key, that wouldn't necessary mean anything, because Walgrave was already senile when Pate started tending to him. Is it plausible for a dementia patient to mix up two keys? Absolutely. Is "black iron" so unique a substance that it could only denote a particularly unique key? Absolutely not. (It's not like the master keys are made of something particularly unique---gold, for example---or are mentioned bearing some unique marker.) Pate believes it's the strongbox key that was lost, but how could he know for certain? Walgrave broke the strongbox lock, so Pate didn't need a key to get into the strongbox in the first place. And unless Pate was sneaking through locked doors offpage and didn't mention it, he'd have had no reason to use what he believed to be the master key prior to stealing it. And he never mentions testing it out once he does steal it.

Rather than say that the FM remained at the Citadel because he was waiting for someone to arrive, it's possible that the FM actually remained because Pate gave him the wrong key (the key to Walgrave's strongbox), and he can't accomplish his mission until he gets his hands on a real master key.

Where is this quote from? ..........like my good friend Ben Stein said.........anybody........anybody?

"I dreamt I saw a shadow with a burning heart butchering a golden stag, aye. I dreamt of a man without a face, waiting on a bridge that swayed and swung. On his shoulder perched a drowned crow with seaweed hanging from his wings."

I found it on another thread

Archived