Tyrion and the wall

LadyVal

I just started wondering about Tyrion and his relationship to the night's watch. While hand in kings landing, he didn't forget his conversation with Mormont and sent men to the wall ( i am not speaking of Janos Slynt :D )  And even though he was skeptical about the existence of creatures like the others, I think once he finally he gets to see a dragon ( :P ) he might be able to believe in white walkers as well. He sensed the strange, northern magic of the wall. So my question is, do you think he'll return to the wall? If so, why? wanting to help Jon, fighting white walker, etc.

8 hours ago, LadyVal said:

I just started wondering about Tyrion and his relationship to the night's watch. While hand in kings landing, he didn't forget his conversation with Mormont and sent men to the wall ( i am not speaking of Janos Slynt :D )  And even though he was skeptical about the existence of creatures like the others, I think once he finally he gets to see a dragon ( :P ) he might be able to believe in white walkers as well. He sensed the strange, northern magic of the wall. So my question is, do you think he'll return to the wall? If so, why? wanting to help Jon, fighting white walker, etc.

I don't think, at this point, that anybody is denying white walkers, right? 

And no, I feel like once you leave westeros, you don't come back for some time - unless you are Littlefinger of course :D

But all joking aside, I don't think Tyrion will come back there any time soon, if ever. It does not fit what his character has become.

On 2/11/2016 at 7:33 PM, aTaleOfWhispers said:

I don't think, at this point, that anybody is denying white walkers, right? 

The only people south of the wall that have seen them are the Wildlings that went through, I believe. I don't think even all of the Night's Watch believes in them.

Edit: Some of Stannis' army believe in them too; but likely only those who believe in Melisandre, since none of them have actually seen them.

8 hours ago, Neptunium said:

The only people south of the wall that have seen them are the Wildlings that went through, I believe. I don't think even all of the Night's Watch believes in them.

Edit: Some of Stannis' army believe in them too; but likely only those who believe in Melisandre, since none of them have actually seen them.

right, I remember.  On the DVD Bonus Material for S1, Tywin said this 

8 hours ago, Neptunium said:

And in S4 still, when talking about the threads to the realm, Tywin doesnt mention any WW:

The King is dead. The Greyjoys are in open rebellion. A Wildling army marches on the Wall, and in the East, the Targaryen girl has three dragons. Before long, she will turn her eyes towards Westeros.

Unless GRRM pulls a whole "Dany, Tyrion, and Jon are the three heads of the dragon and are collectively Azor Ahai and work together to save the day and defend the Wall from the Others and ride off into the sunset after saving the world" thing, which I doubt since as we've seen GRRM doesn't really do the whole happy ending for the epic quest thing, I don't see Tyrion having a purpose in returning to the Wall, unless Dany ends up taking place in the eventual Second War of the Dawn. 

The thing is most people in Westeros and Essos know that dragons did actually exist only a few hundred years ago. The evidence is there in plain sight; fused Valyrian roads, skulls in KL, dragon eggs, Danny's young dragons.

Whereas the Others or White Walkers haven;t been seen for thousands of years and there is no evidence they ever existed besides some old wive's tales and legends. What the Watch saw north of the Wall can't really be counted because the majority of the population would think them mad idiots up in the frozen north, look how Ser Alister was treated when he took that hand to KL as evidence.

So even if Tyrion believes in the Others (and I see no reason he would believe in them anymore that he would squishers etc.), he'd have a hard time persuading people to trust his "crazt ranting about ice zombies".

I think the Others are a sort of "nobody believes in them until they have you by the throat and it's too late" type of enemy. I suspect if they do invade the Wall will be overrun and southern lords in Westeros will try to pretend it's not true until it's too late.

10 hours ago, Lordsteve666 said:

I think the Others are a sort of "nobody believes in them until they have you by the throat and it's too late" type of enemy. I suspect if they do invade the Wall will be overrun and southern lords in Westeros will try to pretend it's not true until it's too late.

hahaha, completely off topic...but this last bit reminded me of global warming. ''people dont believe it until it's too late.'' :'D

8 hours ago, LadyVal said:

hahaha, completely off topic...but this last bit reminded me of global warming. ''people dont believe it until it's too late.'' :'D

Haha. 

I was actually thinking more along the lines of the book of World War Z, where most people don't accept the truth until there's zombies walking up the main street. 

There's definitely that feel from the way nobody in Westeros really gives a shit about the Wall anymore even when cries for help are made. 

I get the impression it's the Nights Watch on their own for this one. They either win or die but there ain't gonna be any help coming soon!

2 hours ago, Lordsteve666 said:

There's definitely that feel from the way nobody in Westeros really gives a shit about the Wall anymore even when cries for help are made. 

when the others first appeared there was no wall, so everyone had to help and fight, because otherwise they'd be in their lands pretty soon. Now there's this giant wall and it's common knowledge that nothing can get past it besides some willings now and then. 

22 minutes ago, LadyVal said:

when the others first appeared there was no wall, so everyone had to help and fight, because otherwise they'd be in their lands pretty soon. Now there's this giant wall and it's common knowledge that nothing can get past it besides some willings now and then. 

Yes but also it's like the Long Night was what 8000 years ago? So anything that occurred back then has past into legend and myth, regardless of the tales the Wildings and NW tell.
And nobody really has any idea if the Others can cross or not, seeing as they've not been seem for thousands of years. There really is no reliable source to look at to see what to expect when/if they decide to attack. And in the intervening time people have forgotten they exist, and the lands of Westeros have become complacent.

I mean that's the equivalent of stories of events from before the Great Pyramid was built being held as fully truthful and accurate reports. It just doesn't happen. Some may consider the stories/reports for a short while but even the Citadel seems to be unwilling to believe the truth of what may be happening.

And in the minds of most Westerosi lords, there are much more important things to worry about than the ramblings of a bunch of murderers and rapists in the far north.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

It has been noticed that when Tyrion visited the wall, Mormont said that they needed people like him ON the wall (not AT the wall).

This has been linked by many people with the fact that he's been CONSTANTLY compared to a gargoyle since book 1, not only because of his physical appareance, also his 'snarling', the fact he was in charge of the drains at casterly rock, etc..

Some people read this as a proof that he will get belated greyscale and turn in a living-gargoyle (or die and become a sort of stone gargoyle, because he swallowed a lot of black water which will eat him inside out). As a matter of fact, people always said his mouth would lead him to trouble/death and he opened his mouth to curse and swallowed black water.. if he kept it shut, he wouldn't.

Some others thought, instead, that it has something to do with the fact gargoyles' purpose is to fend off evil (for example) https://www.reddit.com/r/asoiaf/comments/30cith/spoilers_all_tyrion_gargoyles_and_the_implications/ and with the fact that some of them have the shape of dragons

If this second theory proves to be correct, then it may be possible he will return ON the wall (on top of the wall? riding a dragon? as a metaphorical gargoyle?) some day.

Archived