Howdyphillip

Group A & B match 3: Switzerland/France, Romania/Albania, Wales/Russia, England/Slovakia

65 posts in this topic

Called the result on the Russia-Wales game right. Wahey!

England's gameplay... What were they doing? Wilshere and Henderson aren't so physical form to play in the starting 11... Hodgson made 6 subs, but why he didn't give Rashford the opprtunity to play.. 

Delighted for Wales (and happy I chose to watch that match, though I also had the England game on the PC screen). To go through the group stages is good, to do it top of the group is excellent, and to get there by beating Russia (even this rather poor version) 3-0 is amazing.

England, well, that match looked disappointing all round. Slovakia settled for the draw, and for all Roy Hodgson's complaining about that attitude, he made six changes to his first eleven so he clearly hadn't prioritised a win very highly either. (OK, a couple of those were changes he might have made anyway, but that number of changes isn't consistent with a game you feel you need to win.)

Looks like Bale and Payet are going to be the most useful players in this EURO .

I'm not even biassed. I'm Scottish, but most of my Twitter friends are English, and I really hope they do well. But England are going to get massacred in the next round unless they get drilled on when to pass the ball in front of goal when dealing with park the bus defenders. They did everything right last night but score, and their finishing was woeful. Sturridge either aims the ball straight at a keeper or defender or misses sitters, and England has no naturally gifted corner technicians, and they aren't even trying to compensate for that. Last night, you could see them deliberately passing the ball short far too often without even trying to put the ball into the box because they knew it would just get headed away. They probably had the right intentions there, but their absence of creativity when dealing with stringly defensive teams is going to cost them badly in the tournament unless they get a good tug round the ears.