What was special about Syrio Forel?

Moiraine Sedai

I'd like to come back and do another full post explaining my Syrio-Jaquen connections... tying in Varys and Illyrio as well. But until I find the time it'll just have to be piecemeal here...

Frankly at the end of the day there are a few things that if we disagree on probably make the whole conversation unproductive.

We are introduced to the Faceless Men as assassin who never fail... yet the first (confirmed at least) one we meat is in jail? This deserves an explanation especially if he other two common criminals with him get backgrounds.

Syrio is supposed to be a sword master, but you want me to believe he was killed by fucking Trant, when Bronn manages to kill a fully armored Vardis in the Vale... and he's just a sellsword. Syrio just needed to escape, or even just survive and end up in jail.

Cersei's comment conspicuously leaves Syrio's fate openended.

Jaquen knows who Arya is, reminds her of Syrio, and both Men call Arya a boy when they clearly know better (also Syrio's educational story is about being able to tell gender). This is at the very least suspicious.

One disappears right before we meet the other...

I'll add...

Varys changes his face into Rugen when he meets Ned in the Black cells between the last time we see Syrio and when we meet Jaquen. Ned rubs his stubble, meaning that it's not just some mummer's trick... no fake facial hair I've ever heard of  will stand up to the rub test. 

Also,

"It has crossed my mind a time or two," Tyrion admitted. "The king, the priest, the rich man—who lives and who dies? Who will the swordsman obey? It's a riddle without an answer, or rather, too many answers. All depends on the man with the sword."
"And yet he is no one," Varys said. "He has neither crown nor gold nor favor of the gods, only a piece of pointed steel." 
"That piece of steel is the power of life and death."

what happens when the man with pointy steel realizes he holds the power?

Not to mention the whole mummers, balls in the fire, story is oddly reminiscent of the Faceless Men too...

"The mummers had sailed by the time he was done with me. Once I had served his purpose, the man had no further interest in me, so he put me out. When I asked him what I should do now, he answered that he supposed I should die. To spite him, I resolved to live. I begged, I stole, and I sold what parts of my body still remained to me. Soon I was as good a thief as any in Myr, and when I was older I learned that often the contents of a man's letters are more valuable than the contents of his purse.
"Yet I still dream of that night, my lord. Not of the sorcerer, nor his blade, nor even the way my manhood shriveled as it burned. I dream of the voice. The voice from the flames. Was it a god, a demon, some conjurer's trick? I could not tell you, and I know all the tricks. All I can say for a certainty is that he called it, and it answered, and since that day I have hated magic and all those who practice it. If Lord Stannis is one such, I mean to see him dead."

"You should. Stay, and the Many-Faced God will take your earsyour nose, your tongue. He will takeyour sad grey eyes that have seen so much. He will take your hands, your feet, your arms and legs, your private parts. He will take your hopes and dreams, your loves and hates. Those who enter His service must give up all that makes them who they are. Can you do that?" He cupped her chin and gazed deep into her eyes, so deep it made her shiver. "No," he said, "I do not think you can."

And Jaquen of course says:

"The Red God has his due, sweet girl, and only death may pay for life. This girl took three that were his. This girl must give three in their places. Speak the names, and a man will do the rest."

Archived