Casting the Movie Continued Continued

Just to keep everyone up to speed, we're casting a Song of Ice and Fire movie/miniseries/whatever.

The cast list is here: http://geocities.com/asoiafcasting/

Our ideas go here.

-----

I'd love to do a big huge update to commemorate this new thread. What do you guys want me to do?

Lightsnake gave me this list, if everyone agrees I'll update it now:

Switch Ewan and Damian

Switch out Corbett, for possibly Tim Roth? Damn fine, can pull off noble and can handle a sword.

Jeremy Irons for Blackfish

Caterina Murino as Taena

Ellen Page for Mya Stone

Any new stuff for the update?

Lyanna -

Lightsnake seems to have a fixation on Jeremy Irons for the Blackfish... I'm not sure if that's a consensus choice... I stopped following these arguments a little while back. Your call.

Beyond that, there are a few others...

Jack Davenport (Cmdr. Norrington from 'Pirates') has been a popular choice for Eddard Stark. He's got a long enough face, yet looks enough like other actors to maintain a strong family resemblance.

Bryan Cranston (good photo here) as a replacement for Rickard Stark. Looks exactly like an older Jack Davenport... also a fairly popular suggestion (though I believe Lightsnake is still holding out for Liam Neeson).

Evan Rachel Wood as a replacement for Lyanna Stark. Younger, and a better family match for the other Starks.

Hugh Jackman has been suggested to move to Brandon Stark. Looks the part, though might be a bit old and overqualified for the role. Other suggestions were being bandied about.

Ron Livingston was suggested as a replacement for Benjen Stark... younger than Hugh Jackman, thus possibly better for the youngest Stark. However, the likely flashback sequence to the Harrenhall Tourney places Benjen in his early teens... so a 'young' Benjen would be needed. Skandar Keynes looks *exactly* like a young Ron Livingston, and would be perfectly cast there. There is one hold-out for Lee Ingelby for Benjen, but I don't personally see him cast there (not enough family resemblance, I think).

Also: Jared Padalecki as Smalljon Umber. He and Abraham Benrubi look similar enough (though the Greatjon's wife must've had a *huge* smile). I'm not sure if the uncles fit now... we'll have to look at that closely.

I've also been convinced of Alan Rickman as Tywin... So count my support there (for what that's worth).

I'd like to suggest Kieran Culkin for Benjen, if Benjen is supposed to be all gaunt from being on the Wall. Kieran is about 25, for the record.

Personally I don't see Jonathan Bailey as Jon Snow, he looks more Baratheon to me, similar to the picture we have up of Rory McCann.

I also def. think that the people playing Garlan and Loras should be switched; the one playing Garlan is way more pretty-boy and looks younger.

I like Heath Ledger as Rhaegar, but I was going to suggest Ryan Gosling for him - instead, how about Ryan Gosling as Lancel? Looking at IMDB he looks borderline emaciated lately. Lay off the coke, Gosling. And he kinda looks like he could desperately want to be Jensen Ackles.

Lyanna, I like Irons as the Blackfish, I have no comment on the other suggestions :)

Edit: MY, Davenport is a good choice for Ned but I like Cusick just as much.

I don't know, MY, maybe because it's a good choice and the guy we have in the role needs to go? Go far away?

Moreover, I wouldn't call Davenport an overly popular choice just yet. And yeah, I'm holding out for most of the Starks we still have since they can pull off the role and they're good actors. Liam for Rickard was also pretty popular in the old topic.

And we can't cast an entire role around one single flashback where Benjen is totally unneeded. That seems a pedantic excuse for wanting to change something that already works. In fact, Cranston himself is totally unneeded. Remember what Tysha said? Some actors don't belong in Westeros? Throw Cranston up there. There's no way that we should have anyone from Malcolm in the Middle. Do you want people to burst out laughing when Rickard is burned alive?

And Lann:

Gosling is way too old for Lancel...and Heath for Rhaegar seems best. He's young, handsome , has the 'mystical' look around him...

Lann-

While Keiran is about the right age, he looks younger... all of the photos I've been able to find show someone who doesn't look mature enough to be the Head Ranger for the Night's Watch. I know that Jon's younger as LC, but from the audiences perspective, Jon's supposed to be an anomaly. He's supposed to be green as summer grass when compared to Benjen, and Keiran just doesn't have the gravitas necessary to make that comparison. I think Livingston can pass for mid-late 20s, and still has the maturity to appear experienced.

And while I like Cusick also for Ned, my problem is that his face is *so* long, that it's really difficult to find other actors to play other Starks. By comparison, their faces look scrunched. Cusick's face becomes the standard for 'Stark-ness', and the others won't look like Starks anymore. Thus, I go with Davenport... :)

Not that I'm getting involved in this but.. not all families look identical..you can have features from 7 generations back so sometimes there is really little resemblance. I wouldn't get so caught up in making everyone look alike. What the person looks like for the most part is a hair and makeup concern.

Lightsnake -

First, I didn't comment on Jeremy Irons or the Blackfish, so chill.

Second, you yourself agreed that Davenport was a good choice for the role. My goal in suggesting alternatives for the Starks was to try to make them look like a family, with actual similarities. From a distance, Neeson and Bana worked... but their faces, while similar to each other, aren't similar to the other Starks cast, then or now. They don't have long faces.

And arguing that they were popular before doesn't mean anything... they were cast in relatively minor roles, and weren't given much thought. Brad Pitt was Jaime for a good long time also, and I don't see you fighting to keep him around. We've ironed out a lot of the big roles, and now we're trying to spruce up the minor ones (and add new ones). Rickard, Brandon, and the rest of the Starks are just starting to get the attention they should've gotten a while back.

Finally, I explained here and here, in great detail, why we would need a flashback. You haven't suggested an alternative way to present the tale, and I can't think of any that are better, so we're stuck with a flashback. So long as we're doing one, we need actors for the roles. We'll need someone in his early teens to play Benjen, and Skandar Kynes looks spot on as a young Ron Livingston... so I recommend them. If you've got an alternative, present it... don't just throw a tantrum and wonder why we need to cast someone at all. Besides, I haven't noticed you complaining that we've cast Billy Boyd as 'Giant' up on the wall, and he's got, what, one scene?

I like Liam as Rickard, Lee Ingleby as Benjen, and Jack as Ned. That looks like a family.

Lyanna, My suggestion of Matthew Goode for Renly was a popular one, but don't you want to have the final say on castings?

Yeah I agree it doesn't matter.

I dunno, I feel like Gosling could have done a great melancholy Rhaegar...plus he's got that following of rabid Notebook fans that salivate and worship him as the ideal man in the love story, which is like what Rhaegar/Lyanna is, Forbidden Tragic Love and whatnot.

Notes after glancing over the webpage:

I still think David Dorfman should play Bran instead of AWFUL Robert Arryn.

I think Ioan Gruffud should still be Littlefinger.

We realllly need a new Ashara Dayne. I also don't like the current Stannis, but I'm guessing he's there for a reason.

I also maintain that Adewale Akinnuoye should be Xhondo instead of Jalabhar Xho - at least Xhondo is cool and talks, Xho just came in second in the archery contest at the Hand's tourney and pussies around asking for boats and shit. WHATEVER.

I like the aforementioned Queypo for Khal Drogo.

As for the Wall - I think Topher Grace is too old to play Pyp, and that Alliser Thorne should look more like a whiny prissy, lol. But that's just me!

So they're not that similar, maybe Ned takes after his mother, big deal. All we need is to dress them similarly, tell the audience they're related and have the right hair. The aufience will NOT be looking at this so deeply.

Pitt as Jaime didn't work, either, and I've seen you use the 'he's a popular choice!' argument in your last post.

And we need a flashback, why is Benjen necessary to be in it? He has absolutely zero bearing on it, when the main points are Lyanna and Eddard. And wow, they don't have long faces! That's going to such a concern of Martin's fans and the audience, as opposed to acting skill and the idea that not every family looks 100 percent identical. Maybe Jaime's flasback'll be enough to illustrate it? Seems totally useless to change them around based on the length of their faces. Things change in generations.

Oh, and I've provided lots of cast members, thanks. Maybe I'm defending a role here? on Livingston is about the same age as the guy we have in and he's not as good, nor does he look the part better unless you decide to cast every other Stark around him, which's unnecessary.

And I'll thank you not to tell me to 'throw a tantrum.'

We don't need a young Benjen and we don't need to move Skandar Keyes. Should we need a young Brynden, too?

I know not all family members look identical... but one of the defining features of the Starks, as we're reminded all the time in the books, is that they've got long faces. It seems in the spirit of things that this be followed. And while I'm not demanding that they all look like identical twins, I think it's enough to throw the casting one way or another if the actors are otherwise similar.

Further, I don't expect the audience to sit there with a ruler and quantitatively compare jaw lengths. I do expect the audience to subconsciously notice facial similarities and differences. The goal in an ideal casting is to make the audience *believe*. Not just accept, but really believe it. Because when they believe the actors and the families, they'll believe the story. Otherwise, it's just something they're watching to pass time.

If you show people a world where family relation is *really* important, and you tell them there are bastards, and incest, and all sorts of things going on, and you show them a family where some members don't look like the others, some will wonder if there's a mystery or plot or secret to be revealed later. 'Is Benjen really a Stark?' 'Was Eddard Rickard's bastard?' That's not what we're aiming for. And while the average viewer might not notice, we're casting this for the fans... and hardcore fans *will* notice, and *will* complain. Imagine that you're casting this, and the board is your audience. You impress them, you'll win the broader audience as well.

It's still a very superifical concern. Blah said it well enough. And I can believe without question Liam Neeson is the father of any current Ned candidates?

There won't BE a mystery because the audience'll just be told they're related, why is this a problem? Why would the audience wonder if Ned was a bastard unless Ned's mother was a Stark, too?

Oh, and 'hardcore fans' complain about the length of Gimli's beard and Legolas's hair color....superifical concerns shouldn't be paramount.

-----

I'm only going to point out that the 'popular choice' statement that you referred to wasn't made to defend a choice of a casting, but to suggest to Lyanna that there was enough support for her to consider it for the website. I didn't claim he was popular as an argument, but rather to raise attention.

Well, Lyanna seems to really like the Starks we have now.

Also, I'm in favor of keeping Welling as Renly. he looks the part more than Matt Goode...

I have to agree with Welling as Renly too..I really prefer the wider frame of Welling. Goode has a very slight body frame.

Archived