Casting the Movie Continued Continued

Not a bad suggestion but I think Peter O'Toole is still better. Newman still looks pretty strong and healthy, O'Toole looks like he's going to fall apart any second! Besides, it would be an utter crime to cover Paul Newman's eyes with white contact lenses!

Are none of my suggestions ever good enough...? :cry:

I would never have guessed this based on appearances, but Paul Newman is actually older than Peter O'Toole, with 82 to 75 years, respectively. Another reason to cast Paul Newman as Aemon, I think. Cressen, I'd say, should look even frailer than Aemon, and if I remember correctly, someone in the books (think it must have been Sam) commented that Aemon could have lived another ten years or so if it hadn't been for the journey over to Bravos, which suggests that he's not that frail, despite his advanced age.

Paul Newman is well known for his beautiful eyes. The Targaryens are also well known for their beautiful eyes. The connection is made. :D

:) Diceman, I was thinking more about your suggestion of Peter for Cressen, and you have my support there too. As Cressen has trouble walking, I could really see Peter hobbling along in a tragic but dignified way, and if Peter O'Toole was ever forced to wear a fool's crown it would break my heart.

The only concern that I've got with Paul Newman as Maester Aemon is that Paul Newman was (and still is) an actor with a lot of fire in him. Aemon is very quiet and reserved. Leads me to think O'Toole is a bit better for the role.

Newman (and Robert Redford too, if you're looking for good actors now looking a bit old an decrepit) would be better cast in other roles... If Ser Willem Darry was a bigger role, I think Newman'd be great there. Old, but still gruff and fierce. I'm not sure if Redford could do weaselly enough for Grand Maester Pycelle... but he might be another option for Cressen.

Is everyone agreed on Irons? There were a lot of arguments about it before. And is Xhondo a big part? Or am I thinking of a different Xhondo?

There's still a lot of arguing!

However Jack Davenport as Ned and Alex O'Loughlin as Brandon seem to be pretty popular choices and the majority vote seems to have swung to Lee Ingleby as Benjen. Some people are still on the fence about Kate Winslet as Cat but if you like her there's probably enough support to go ahead with the change. Natascha McElhone is still my personal first choice but Kate is a close second.

And I agree with what Maester Y said about Peter O'Toole. Sorry Diceman!

And I saw the new pic of Steve Sandvoss you have up today ... :drool: You know, in a scary, Viserys sort of way...

My two picks for the Blackfish are either Jeremy Irons or Sean Bean. Sean Bean could easily have a different role though. Irons deserves to be in something good, after gettting caught in that Eragon bowel of supersuck.

I have a suggestion for Oberyn. Oded Fehr

That man is sexy and a fine actor. A widows peak can be easily added. Oded has a fierce look but is capable of being rather elegant.

I know people will disagree with me, but I've always thought Jude Law would be a good Jaime if he went on a tough workout regime and got some contacts. He has that cocky arrogance down pat.

Darcia -

You checked what others said about Benjen, but apparently failed to see what I said... Here's what I actually said:

Ron Livingston was suggested as a replacement for Benjen Stark... younger than Hugh Jackman, thus possibly better for the youngest Stark. However, the likely flashback sequence to the Harrenhall Tourney places Benjen in his early teens... so a 'young' Benjen would be needed. Skandar Keynes looks *exactly* like a young Ron Livingston, and would be perfectly cast there. There is one hold-out for Lee Ingelby for Benjen, but I don't personally see him cast there (not enough family resemblance, I think).

Now, at the time, this was true. I didn't comment on Livingston as Benjen after this, save once... and that was simply to say that *I* thought he was properly cast. I don't believe I ever argued to Lyanna that Livingston was the 'popular' choice. Lyanna appears to have agreed with me. If you disagree, make your case to her, or make your own site. But I'll thank you not to accuse me of being underhanded or false.

Well technically there were two holdouts - me and Darcia. And Lightsnake wanted to stick with Hugh Jackman. Though to be fair you didn't actually say it was a popular choice, just that it had been suggested.

Irons deserves to be in something good, after gettting caught in that Eragon bowel of supersuck.

And that Dungeons and Dragons bowl of supersuck. So either he's a curse on fantasy adaptations or ASoIaF could be third time lucky for him...

Also, there was yet another Skins advert on this morning (Channel 4 are really plugging this one...) the entire purpose of which seemed to be to get Nicholas Hoult to show off his hot body. Definitely muscular enough for Gendry!

Maester Y. I'm not accusing you of anything, just asking a question. And what you posted was not true at the time, because there was not 'one hold-out for Lee' as both Tysha and I wanted Lee. And to say to Lyanna that there is only one against suggests that everyone else has agreed. I not meaning to get at you I just think that the way you worded your post suggests that the argument for Ron had been hashed out, when most people had yet to comment.

What about Stacey Dash as Alayala? She looks whorish enough and the role would not require much acting skills. :P

PEOPLE!! I know this has nothing to do with the most heated (and interesting) :rolleyes: discussion of Jeremy Irons fitness (?) for whatever role you're casting him for, but since we don't have any suggestions at all for Alayala we could give some thought to quoted-poster-Most-Respected-Yrael's suggestion don't you think? ;)

:leaving: *Run. run!!*

Archived