[NO SPOILERS] Arms & Armor

Ran

They look very similar to ancient Dacian rhomphaia, but that was mostly an infantry weapon...

Yeah, based on the previews I thought I liked how the arak looked, but that thing looks awkward to use from horseback. Also, as you say, it looks like something designed for a footman to get around a shield, which doesn't really make sense for the Dothraki.

I'm not at all a fan of what they've done with King's landing, I've always the read the books seeing the series as WESTERN medieval, and the Gold cloaks and the palm trees in KL really feel jarring.

Are all the troops with redish armor, Lannister men? I noticed there are a bunch hanging out in the background when Ned arrives at the Red Keep. In any event, they have awesome armor. Especially those helmets that look sort of like a Japanese helmet crossed with a German sallet.

Also, what is that armor they are wearing in Jon's fight scene at the wall? Is that practice armor, or is it just what they wear up there? Incidentally, the NW might be in a bad way in terms of recruits, but they seem to be amply supplied with weapons, and not just cheap ones--look at how many swords they have.

Are all the troops with redish armor, Lannister men? I noticed there are a bunch hanging out in the background when Ned arrives at the Red Keep. In any event, they have awesome armor. Especially those helmets that look sort of like a Japanese helmet crossed with a German sallet.

Also, what is that armor they are wearing in Jon's fight scene at the wall? Is that practice armor, or is it just what they wear up there? Incidentally, the NW might be in a bad way in terms of recruits, but they seem to be amply supplied with weapons, and not just cheap ones--look at how many swords they have.

Might be, I'm not sure. They could also be the Red Guard, the kings less ''personal'' elite bodyguard.

Red Guard? Some sort of joke, I assume. It's not from the books. ;) The men in red and black armor are all Lannister guardsmen, who have European armor with a vaguely Japanese-inspired color scheme. The helmets are more pure fantasy.

The armor the recruits were wearing was basically stiff leather padding for their training. A lot of the swords they're using are blunt tourney weapons.

• 4 weeks later...

Archived