Arya

Dixietiger

I am about 1/3 of the way through Clash of Kings. Arya is really developing as my favorite character. Yoren (was) one of the most soulful characters I can recall in a long time in fiction. Love when Yoren spits. "No, don't believe I will", when asked to let the Lannister guardsmen through the gate.

But Arya, one feels, is really about to come into her own. The scene where she grabs the axe outside the burning barn, throws it to the chained boys on the wagon, and dives into the tunnel was THE most hair-raising so far for me. I went back and read the chapter twice more. Just terrific stuff. Can't get that chapter out of my head.

YAAAAY! another Arya fan, She is the coolest.

As a matter of fact I was just wondering about that chapter and was searching for a place to query when i saw this thread :)

She hears the sound of a beast or something when she lands in the dirt, the begins to cry. right? Its the memory of this beast or whatever made that sound... Idk wtf?

I dont even have the book again so I cant even look back

I am about 1/3 of the way through Clash of Kings. Arya is really developing as my favorite character. Yoren (was) one of the most soulful characters I can recall in a long time in fiction. Love when Yoren spits. "No, don't believe I will", when asked to let the Lannister guardsmen through the gate.

But Arya, one feels, is really about to come into her own. The scene where she grabs the axe outside the burning barn, throws it to the chained boys on the wagon, and dives into the tunnel was THE most hair-raising so far for me. I went back and read the chapter twice more. Just terrific stuff. Can't get that chapter out of my head.

I never really grasped onto the character of Arya until Clash of Kings. I didn't wish her ill, but I wasn't that excited about her. Last night, I broke out in laughter reading her chapter where Gendry lets her know he knows she is a girl, which she denies and he asks her to prove. Her wishing for him to change the topic from her non-existent equipment was hilarious and cute, and that was when she became one of my favorites.

I never really grasped onto the character of Arya until Clash of Kings. I didn't wish her ill, but I wasn't that excited about her. Last night, I broke out in laughter reading her chapter where Gendry lets her know he knows she is a girl, which she denies and he asks her to prove. Her wishing for him to change the topic from her non-existent equipment was hilarious and cute, and that was when she became one of my favorites.

That particular chapter contains one of my very favorite Arya lines:

"If you start calling me m'lady even Hot Pie is going to notice!"

Hilarious. I agree, she really came into her own in ACoK. Excellent writing.

I'm an Arya fan too. Hers are my favorite chapters in the book(s). I'm almost through ACoK and I always want to keep reading more of hers. I also think the actress Maisie in the HBO series is so perfect for her. Even though I started watching the HBO series before I started reading the books, this little girl is perfect. I love the scene of her in the first episode when she's wearing the battle helmet. And later on, I loved her "dancing lessons" with Syrio. Hated to see him disappear. And, I keep remembering when she and Sansa were arguing when Ned told them they had to leave King's Landing and she cursed, "Seven Hells!" Her character is so believable. I hope she makes it through all the books and I'd like to see her with Gendry too.

I'm an Arya fan too. Hers are my favorite chapters in the book(s). I'm almost through ACoK and I always want to keep reading more of hers. I also think the actress Maisie in the HBO series is so perfect for her. Even though I started watching the HBO series before I started reading the books, this little girl is perfect. I love the scene of her in the first episode when she's wearing the battle helmet. And later on, I loved her "dancing lessons" with Syrio. Hated to see him disappear. And, I keep remembering when she and Sansa were arguing when Ned told them they had to leave King's Landing and she cursed, "Seven Hells!" Her character is so believable. I hope she makes it through all the books and I'd like to see her with Gendry too.

I agree with you, the actress that plays Arya, Maisie Williams, has a bright future ahead of her. I agree with the other poster, she is written very flawed, but it is endearing.

Arya became my favorite character (well, second only to Tyrion) in A Game of Thrones. Probably because she, like Tyrion, is wilfull enough to do as she pleases no matter what the rules of her society are. She has a perfectly balanced understanding of good and evil and I think her tale is one of trying to hold onto that despite the many times she's kicked around in these books. Unfortunately, I can't say more without spoiling things for you first-time readers. I'll just say that if you like her now, you'll love her by Book IV. She grows in strength and guile, but never backs down on her principles.

Arya became my favorite character (well, second only to Tyrion) in A Game of Thrones. Probably because she, like Tyrion, is wilfull enough to do as she pleases no matter what the rules of her society are. She has a perfectly balanced understanding of good and evil and I think her tale is one of trying to hold onto that despite the many times she's kicked around in these books. Unfortunately, I can't say more without spoiling things for you first-time readers. I'll just say that if you like her now, you'll love her by Book IV. She grows in strength and guile, but never backs down on her principles.

Well, I finished ACoK last night and I loved Arya's last chapter, especially when she got her courage up and realized who she was and what she had to do. I look forward to more of the same!! :)

Arya is one of my favourite characters too. I am hoping she will meet Nemeria on her journey north. The way I read book 2 was a bit unconventional. I started with all the Jon chapters, then all the Danerys chapters. It worked well because those 2 are isolated from the rest of the story.

I also did Arya that way but I got spoiled at the end of the book because she hears rumours of events related to the war. I am now reading book 2 in the chorological order because all the others chars are tied to each other.

Arya is one of my favourite characters too. I am hoping she will meet Nemeria on her journey north. The way I read book 2 was a bit unconventional. I started with all the Jon chapters, then all the Danerys chapters. It worked well because those 2 are isolated from the rest of the story.

I also did Arya that way but I got spoiled at the end of the book because she hears rumours of events related to the war. I am now reading book 2 in the chorological order because all the others chars are tied to each other.

Yes, happened to me too. I was reading the chapters like that and found out something ahead of time, so went back. I can understand reading it again. There is so much to take in. I finished ACOK a day ago and now am re-reading the prologue as it just didn't make much sense to me when I first started reading it. And, some of the Arya chapters, I read twice. I may even read more of it so I can get a handle on some of these people. there are so many and it's hard to keep track, and then when they turn sides, it really gets confusing. I made a printout of the map of Westeros and laminated it as (one of) my bookmarks so I could see where they were traveling while reading. But, at least having the chapters like this makes it easier to go look back for something you need clarity on.

• 2 weeks later...

I really thought this was a very heroic scene. She was great! Arya and Jon are my favorites.

• 3 weeks later...

I do love Arya too (though i must admit, Tyrion remains my favorite character so far)!

But there is one thing I don't understand about her in ACOK :

I just read the chapter where Harenhal is taken by the Northmen with the help of Arya. I don't get why she doesn't reveal herself to them? I understand why she doesn't do it during the battle but once the castle is won and the Stark's direwolf banner is raised, she could just tell the truth and they would send her back to Winterfell.

Did I miss something?

I do love Arya too (though i must admit, Tyrion remains my favorite character so far)!

I just read the chapter where Harenhal is taken by the Northmen with the help of Arya. I don't get why she doesn't reveal herself to them? I understand why she doesn't do it during the battle but once the castle is won and the Stark's direwolf banner is raised, she could just tell the truth and they would send her back to Winterfell.

Did I miss something?

She doesn't trust Bolton and all the others in the camp. She was waiting for one person to come back who she thought she could trust but they never came back. Later it turns out her mistrust was justified.

I've loved Arya since the beginning of GoT. She's always been my favorite. I love how well she's written. So conflicted and yet you feel sorry for her because you know how hard she is trying to be brave and strong. Though she's not the one to take pity from anyone either, she'd rather throw it back in their faces. That's what I love so much about her. I believe after Eddard she is tied with Robb for the strongest character of the series.

• 1 month later...

I also saw the HBO series before reading any of the books, and Maisie Williams was quickly my favorite character (close seconds were Jon Snow, Eddard, and Dany). I love her spirit, and her tomboy attitude; she's a good foil for her sister Sansa, who wishes to be a "proper lady."

I think Arya's journey is incredible. She has true strength of spirit to endure and survive all she had to go through in aGoT and aCoK. Her interactions with Gendry were adorable (especially the part about her showing a non-existant member, lol). Her thought that "now Gendry is going to act all stupid" after he finds out who she is also made me laugh.

ASoS minor, vague spoiler (some of this is in Clash, but other parts occur in SoS)

her interactions with Jacqen H'gar and later The Hound are some of my favorite parts of the novel. Arya's courage is undeniable - she runs into The Twins to try to save her mother - thank goodness Hound saves her from what would've likely been death.

Did I miss something?

If you continue reading, you'll realize why Arya does not trust Roose Bolton despite the fact he is Robb Stark's bannerman. In aSoS it will literally be clear as day. Arya is smart, and learned from Syrio to "see with her eyes", and follow instinct instead of just blurting out "I'm Arya Stark of Winterfell! Northmen you must save me!" I don't think that would've ended well. You'll see why.

Archived