Read, you fools!

deleted01

I have a feeling my husband is way older than yours and yet they are so similar in their "limitation/ quest for stuff to happen". It goes to show you. Did I see you are an atty.?

Yes, I am, and too funny, my husband is 11 years older than me.

It's so strange to me that my husband, who loves sci fi and comics, and who's met and talked with GRRM back in the days when he would appear at every comic con in New Orleans, has had trouble getting into the books, whereas, I, a long time scorner of all things sci fi/fantasy/comic, love them.

I'm sorry to hear that your nephew has been diagnored with A.D.D. that's not something that's easy to deal with I'm sure. If you've read through thousands of pages of ASOIF I wouldn't peg you as someone with A.D.D..

I tell my wife she's a crazy woman all the time, but it doesn't mean I actually think she's insane. :)

You're kind. "My nephew" is actually the son of my husband's sister, so I think your comment about A.D.D. Is accurate, and that may be the reason that my DH has had problems getting beyond ACoK. He can read caselaw, though, which is infinitely more tedious and boring. Ok, any suggestions as to how I get him past pg. 160 of ASoS?

I want to thank you for choosing a nice topic. It has been fun and nice people have shown up. Will you be able to watch on April 1st? I know you don't drink much, but I wonder if we should come up with a drinking game. Maybe one should drink anytime Hodor says Hodor. You can drink a soda!

Agreed. Thread and all posters to it are great. Since husband is stuck at the beginning of ASoS, it's wonderful to have this forum and to read and discuss the books with people who truly enjoy them.

<snippety-snip>

Really, how do you trace your ancestors back to the Domesday book?! :o This is something I'm very interested in - I have an unusual last name, and would be interested to find out where it came from :lol: On your other points, I agree. When I was in school, I only read when I had to really, but mostly because I wanted to be out with my friends - I was 'at that age' I suppose :P I refuse to watch or read anything Shakespeare, since I sat through that gods-awful version of Hamlet starring Kenneth Branagh in college <_<

I want to thank you for choosing a nice topic. It has been fun and nice people have shown up. Will you be able to watch on April 1st? I know you don't drink much, but I wonder if we should come up with a drinking game. Maybe one should drink anytime Hodor says Hodor. You can drink a soda!

Aw! I'm glad people are coming here and agreeing, we've had too much fighting on the boards recently :grouphug: Well, mayhaps I will have to wait until very late April 1st, or maybe til the 2nd, until people put good links up <_< but I'm interested in a drinking game! I may be drinking tea though :lol: if anyone has any ideas, maybe it should be in the 'Games' forum?

<snip>

Well done Halfman! :cheers: I'm excited to see what my cousin says today, I assume she'll have read quite a lot last night. Did your dad make any wild predictions? The majority of my friends are constantly out drinking and going mad, so I won't be recommending the books to any of them <_< gah, why do some people take so long to grow up?!

I convinced a friend of mine to read ASOIAF... and i was sucessful!

She started to read, and until now she likes the story.

... Hope she don`t rage-quit after the RW!

I know, that's always a worry isn't it! Especially when they start liking characters and you're like :uhoh: haha! Here's to hoping she doesn't!

Anyone who thinks there isn't enough action in this series is suffering from A.D.D. in my opinion.

You're kind. "My nephew" is actually the son of my husband's sister, so I think your comment about A.D.D. Is accurate, and that may be the reason that my DH has had problems getting beyond ACoK.

Well, I’d like to say I have ADHD and it’s never stopped me from reading something I enjoy. I think it depends very much on how interested one is in what he/she is doing/reading/watching etc. There’s something about ADHD that not many people are aware of called ‘hyperfocus’. It’s a bit self-explanatory, I suppose: if you’re doing something you’re interested in, you can focus in a way that makes the world around you disappear. For instance, when I’m reading something like ASoIaF I’m so into the story that I’m completely unaware of my surroundings – the next room may literally catch on fire and I probably wouldn’t notice. The flipside is, if something doesn’t grab my attention very, very quickly I will put it aside and never finish it. This happened to WoT; I tried reading it on separate occasions never getting past page 10 or 15... I won’t be trying it again. :P

Archived