Learning to Lead IV: sucess in failure? An ADWD Daenerys and Jon reread project

Lummel

• 2 years later...

The thing is, Bowen Marsh is concerned with the food count, but not nearly as much as his all-consuming hatred for the wildlings. Look at how that conversation goes with Jon- He brings it up briefly, Jon counters with saying he will get some wealth from the wildlings valuables, someone else says not enough, and then that's it. Clydas brings up weapons and Bowen Marsh has moved on to again saying that the wildlings will kill the NW even though Jon has just given him reasons why they won't. Out of that conversation, food seems to take up 5% of the content of it. I agree, absolutely no discernible reason why Jon wouldn't talk and tell him about the Iron Bank loan here. Still makes no sense to me- Then again, little in Jon's last 3 chapters seems to make much sense to me. But I think it's relatively small on Bowen's list of concerns here- He just despises the wildlings and wants them all to die and doesn't seem concerned about much else honestly.

I think the reason behind Jon's decision not to bring that up is simple. He didn't want to explain everything he does. Marsh and co. question his every decision. He gets tired of it. He is the lieder. He doesn't HAVE TO explain his every move, and he doesn't have to get PERMISSION to do what he wants to do. Marsh doesn't respect him and his decision making, so Jon doesn't take seriously his whining. Jon realized at that point that that food is not the real reason why Marsh is complaining. So he stopped explaining the his last problem (food). 

If Jon would have said then that he made a deal with the IB, Marsh would find this a big problem also. Marsh is simply won't say a good word to anything Jon does.
With Marsh the glass is always half empty. 

Archived