Names you used to mispronounce?

Summer Storm

My girlfriend while watching GOT cannot shake pronouncing Gendry "Jen-dry"

HOW MANY TIMES DO I HAVE TO TELL YOU ITS A SOFT G!!!!!

Sounds like she has a better handle on it than you do :drunk: Or is that her talking to you?

b...b...but they pronounce it "gendry" on the show, as in the sound like "gone" "Gain" "goat"

not Jendry like...Jordan, Jacob, Jill.

Isn't that hard g this ^^^^ if not, I learn something new every day on this board.

Sometimes I hear Jendry, sometimes I think I hear Gendry. Like Gelatin, not gunpowder <- ObQueen reference.

Heck, why *not* go with the Spanish pronunciation (endry) and get rid of that pesky G altogether.

Gendry, hard g, makes no sense. If that's the intended pronunciation, why not spell it Ghendry? In English, g before e and i is soft. GRRM is no Tolkien when it comes to linguistics; his ideas don't always make a lot of sense

Edit: Spelling. What else.

Gendry, hard g, makes no sense. If that's the intended pronuncion, why not spell it Ghendry? In English, g before e and i is soft. GRRM is no Tolkien when it comes to linguistics; his ideas don't always make a lot of sense.

Gelatin. Germ. Genetics. Gestation. Gerbil. Gist. Genial. Geography. Gendry.

Giant, Gibberish, Ginger, Gigalo.

It seems that if the 3rd letter is a vowel, the G may be hard. Except for Geo. WHich might be an error going from Greek to English.

It is known.

Also every word I find (in a very quick scan) that starts with "Gen" uses soft G

http://www.scrabblefinder.com/starts-with/gen/

Giant, Gibberish, Ginger, Gigalo. But far more hard Gs. However, Gillyflower is pronouced Jillyflower to my amazement. So I messed up that one. Gilly is pronounced Jilly, like the Jilly flower.

Giant, Gibberish, Ginger, Gigalo.

It seems that if the 3rd letter is a vowel, the G may be hard. Except for Geo. WHich might be an error going from Greek to English.

It is known.

If the following letter is an "e" or an "i", it's a soft g. If it's anything else, it's a hard g.

Usually. Gimp, gill, get, gear, etc., have hard g's. I pronounce Gendry with a soft g and Gilly with a hard g.

If the following letter is an "e" or an "i", it's a soft g. If it's anything else, it's a hard g.

Usually. Gimp, gill, get, gear, etc., have hard g's. I pronounce Gendry with a soft g and Gilly with a hard g.

if it is gilly like the flower, it is a soft G. according to Merriam Webster. So you are fighting the dictionary.

Every word beginning with GEN has a soft G (that I found) so statistics are against you.

Archived