Names you used to mispronounce?

Summer Storm

Ugh I hated when GRRM said "dothrak-eye" it sounded so dumb.

Agree here. With Dothraki I've altered the way I pronounce it. Half the time I say "Duh-thrak-ee" and the other half I say "Doe-thrak-ee." But the two seem to be close enough. "Dothrak-eye" is stupid, but hes the author so.....

How do you guys say 'Sansa'?

San-suh

or

San-zuh

i say it with the 'S' sound :/

How did you guys pronounce Brienne? I've always said it like Brie-een. But i think on the show it's Brianne.... whatevs.

I say San-suh, with the short a sound. But that just be my New York-ness (as we are prone to short a's)

Brienne I say "bree-enn." I've never thought of it differently.

I say San-suh, with the short a sound. But that just be my New York-ness (as we are prone to short a's)

Brienne I say "bree-enn." I've never thought of it differently.

Well i'm from Alabama and I say San-suh lol. so idk if it's New York-ness.

I've never been able to say Brienne with a "bree" at the begining b/c my name is Bree.. Spelled b-r-e-e. so anything else looks like Brie/br-eye to me.

How do you guys say 'Sansa'?

San-suh

or

San-zuh

i say it with the 'S' sound :/

How did you guys pronounce Brienne? I've always said it like Brie-een. But i think on the show it's Brianne.... whatevs.

Sansssa. Or I just grind my teeth at her.

Bree enn. Or Wonder Woman! Or Warrior Maid. Reading the World of Ice and Fire and someone caller her a female knight - feh. Septon Meribald (IIRC) had it right.

I think the one mispronounciation that really got me was in the AFFC epilogue when I pronounced "next year" as "as six years from now"

ha well said!

I have read all the novels (althought just once), and only after reading this thread do I now know it is Kettleblacks. Always read and thought Kettlebacks... Guess I need to start reading more carefully.

I think the one mispronounciation that really got me was in the AFFC epilogue when I pronounced "next year" as "six years from now"

Ha ha in the Authors@Google youtube interview GRRM was asked if there was anything he wrote that he now would change and that was the only thing he mentioned!! Apparently once he started writing he realized hacking the book in half wasnt going to do the job.

Ha ha in the Authors@Google youtube interview GRRM was asked if there was anything he wrote that he now would change and that was the only thing he mentioned!! Apparently once he started writing he realized hacking the book in half wasnt going to do the job.

Hah I do what I can guys. I'm a pretty recent ASOIAF convert, I started reading it about a year ago, but I can't imagine the people who've been with the series since like 2000 or maybe even from the jump. That six year gap after he said one year....I would have probably given up by now.

I have a feeling that more than a few hands involved did not have a really thorough understanding of the history of language (not that I do), and thought that since these were 'exotic' spellings they must be pronounced differently.

Someone mentioned that GRRM probably didn't have the heart to tell them, OR he was not in a position to be correcting some Tywin-like stage director....

How did you guys pronounce Brienne?

Bree-enn is how i say it. Its a lot like the name Brianne only with an e.

I pronounce most of the names like they do in the show. (Except Eyrie)

I call Margaery, Marjorie.

Lysa - LIE-Sa to me.

Catelyn to me is "Cat-elin" :)

Dothraki = DOE-trak-ee to me.

Tysha was an odd one. I say it "Teesha" but Tyrion in the show says "TIE-sha" and i was all O_o

I've only just realised, while reading this thread, that I'm probably saying Tysha incorrectly. I always thought of it as Tasha as in short for Natasha, but it doesn't even look like that now I think about it.

Lysa has always been Lie-Sa to me.

Just two random ones. I'm shocked by how many people didn't get that "Damphair" was a compound word, especially since descriptives are so common amongst the Ironborn. No offence. My biggest dissagreement though would have to be with the popular pronunciation of Tyrell. I prefer to pronounce it more like Switzerland (Tyrol, also the chief from Battlestar Gallactica) rather than americanizing the Y sound like "eye" instead of "ee". We Americans and particularly southerners do the same with the "i" and it drives me crazy (see: Iraq), especially when it is the stressed syllable.

Archived