What to read while we wait?

They Die Too

I should do this actually, although playing the games is currently highest on my list.

You definetly should, both games are great. If you dont have a gaming pc you can play it on the 360(Its supposed to be really good on xbox) But the books are just as good, better in some ways I would say.

Well, this is hard... usually when someone asks me what they should read I always say "read ASoIaF!!!!".... This being the case, I think there are some good choices here...

I'm reading a lot of classics like The Count of Monte Cristo, Sherlock Holmes mysteries like The Hound of Baskerville. I'm reading Alice in Wonderland, Robin Hood, Frankinstein, Charles Dickenson, Grimm Fairytales etc.....

Though perhaps Charles Dickenson is a hybrid between Emily Dickinson and Charles Dickens. Though, I could be wrong. :]

I am actually not sure what I'll be reading because I'm still so wrapped up in the world of Westeros, I may just consider rereading the books. It's hard to move on to other books while everything is still so fresh in your mind.

You definetly should, both games are great. If you dont have a gaming pc you can play it on the 360(Its supposed to be really good on xbox) But the books are just as good, better in some ways I would say.

Yeah I've got a decent laptop so I'm gonna play em on PC when I've got a bit of downtime at uni. Haven't tested the second game yet but it beasts skyrim so I'm guessing it'll be just fine. Might have a look at the Game Of Thrones game as well, maybe it'll fill out a few things from the books (or maybe it'll suck like people keep telling me).

Seriously you'll be able to get through The Hobbit in a weekend haha, although LOTR is a very different matter.

Yeah, that's what I'm thinking. It's not like the Hobbit is a big book, but a book I believe needs to be read nonetheless. Will need to find other books to occupy my time, though.

It's really a children's book I guess, but much like say, Neil Gaiman's "Stardust" is an incredibly well written one that can appeal to all ages. As I said before Pratchett novels are a good quick read too - I kind of like how he's been saying some of his latest Discworld books are "for younger readers" then in the first book he branded that had a teenage abortion administered by patriarchal beating in the first chapter.. oh Terry..

Thanks for all the ideas, I think its going to be a pair of books.

1. The brothers karamazov

Good choice. There is some humor in there as well because Fyodor Karamazov is quite funny imo. It takes a while to read these types of novels so I think it's a great choice if you want to read something while waiting for tWoW.

I have a bit of a reading list that I need to get through - but it's probably not going to last me more than a few months...

- Sir Gawain and the Green Knight (Tolkien translation)

- Gawain and Iwain

- Herodotus' Histories

- Re-read of Beowulf in A.S.

- Annual re-read of the Hobbit, LOTR, Silmarillion and Children of Hurin

- Annual re-read of the Iliad and Odyssey (Homer)

- Re-read of Ivanhoe (Scott)

- Multiple re-reads of ASoIaF (including exploration of all dreams, prophecies, symbolism and foreshadowing)

- The third book in Patrick Rothfuss' Kingkiller Chronicles (if it comes out before TWOW)

- Darkbane, the final book in Isobelle Carmody's Legendsong trilogy (ditto - but IC is worse at getting books out than GRRM, been waiting 10 years since book 2 and still not even a tentative release year!)

- Little Dorrit (Dickens)

- The Once and Future King (T.H. White)

I'll hopefully be doing a lot of writing on my own book. But I fear I'll mostly be writing papers for academic journals...

Some of the books I've read since finishing ADWD: The Dagger and the Coin series, Lord of the Rings trilogy, Millennium trilogy, Prince of Thorns, Dunk and Egg novels, and I've started to read the dark tower series by Stephen King. I've also read some other non-fantasy books that I'm too lazy to think of right now.

House Stark - House Attreides

House Bolton - House Harkonnen

House Lannister - House Corrino

King of the seven kingdoms - Emperor of the known universe

Maesters - Bene Gesserite

Wildlings - Fremen

Others - Thinking machines

The wall - the shield wall

Faceless men - Face dancers

AA - Kwisatz Haderach

Dragons - Sand Worms

...Dune

Top pick: the Stormlight Archives book one: The Way of Kings by Brandon Sanderson. You won't be dissapointed.

Wheel Of Time and The Malazan Books are both pretty obvious picks. Malazan is a tough read. Steven Erikson's take on the multiple POV format is... confusing, frustrating and intimidating at first, but it'll get better. Courser mentioned American Gods by Neil Gaiman, I must agree, it's one of my favorite novels. Horns by Joe Hill is a harrowing, intense read, highly recommended.

tl;dr: these are some of my favorites right of the top of my head

Stormlight Archives 1 by Branden Sanderson

Horns by Joe Hill

Gardens of the Moon(series) by Steven Erikson

20th Century Ghosts by Joe Hill

Dreamsongs Volume II by George RR Martin

Blackout/All Clear (two books) by Connie Willis

The Dreaming Void (trilogy) by Peter F Hamilton

American Gods by Neil Gaiman

Directive 51 by John Barnes

Archived