Is it obscene how bad things are for Danys prospects of retaking the Throne?

total1402

Because the usurper bankrupted the country, and as far as they don't see he was a prick, they probably hated every claimant after him. Joffrey mad, Balon a plunderer, Robb wrecked the north/riverlands, Stannis an ass, Renly a useless twat, Euron batshit crazy, Tommen a farce, Cersei an ugly old tart with the brain capacity of a demented snail, and Aegon's the spider's creature who only brought more war. And all of them were completely useless once the country started turning into zombietown, all of them wasting precious food and manpower while winter came and starved them all.

And then our precious queen comes in, with flowers in her hair, with the looks of the Targaryens who weren't so bad after all (okay, he killed a couple of misfit lords but who misses them?), bringing with her the threefold symbol of hundreds of years of prosperity, and sending the undead running for their mummies.

At this rate, why bother with swords? Just sail across with bread, once KL is kingless and starving. Probably a better chance that way.

(how much of this post is sarcasm, is up to the reader ;) )

The usurper bankrupted the crown, not the country.

You are expecting Braavos to attack Dany...why? They hated Valyria, but I'm sure now they hate the Crown of the Seven Kingdoms...money talks, this is a real truth in the series...and, apart from that, remember that foreshadowing thread, someone said there was a dream with the titan of braavos or a giant over the walls of winterfell or aomething similar...Braavos might play an important role supporting Dany, they have a fleet and want money, Dany wans a fleet and will have all the money from Tyrion, who will be Lord of Casterly Rock...

You are expecting Braavos to attack Dany...why? They hated Valyria, but I'm sure now they hate the Crown of the Seven Kingdoms...money talks, this is a real truth in the series...and, apart from that, remember that foreshadowing thread, someone said there was a dream with the titan of braavos or a giant over the walls of winterfell or aomething similar...Braavos might play an important role supporting Dany, they have a fleet and want money, Dany wans a fleet and will have all the money from Tyrion, who will be Lord of Casterly Rock...

They have a pathological hatred of dragons like the Faceless Men and Maesters. They believe Dragons enslave people and that since they were once enslaved by dragons they hate all dragons. That why when talking to Jon the guy says in a dread voice that the Braavosi take Dragons very seriously and shouldn't be joked about. They do not count her a friend and like the Maesters will fight to put the dragons down. Just because they helped an alliance with Martell n the Targs won't matter. They hate Dragons. In this money doesn't talk. If the Braavosi know about Dany, which they do by Jons talk, but have still went to support Stannis that clearly means that they oppose Dragons on principle and consider her an enemy.

They have a pathological hatred of dragons like the Faceless Men and Maesters. They believe Dragons enslave people and that since they were once enslaved by dragons they hate all dragons. That why when talking to Jon the guy says in a dread voice that the Braavosi take Dragons very seriously and shouldn't be joked about. They do not count her a friend and like the Maesters will fight to put the dragons down. Just because they helped an alliance with Martell n the Targs won't matter. They hate Dragons. In this money doesn't talk. If the Braavosi know about Dany, which they do by Jons talk, but have still went to support Stannis that clearly means that they oppose Dragons on principle and consider her an enemy.

Ok, I remember that conversation, but not all the details, that´s why I said everything about an alliance...seems like I'm a bit :dunce: today...

Do you think a braavosi army could invade the North and retake it for Stannis? Or am I crackpot again?

Ok, I remember that conversation, but not all the details, that´s why I said everything about an alliance...seems like I'm a bit :dunce: today...

Do you think a braavosi army could invade the North and retake it for Stannis? Or am I crackpot again?

If he wins the Battle of Winterfell. The North is his. With Sellswords, if he can keep them on side (prooving hes alive is important here), then he could well push on to Kings Landing and challenge Aegon if LanTyrell power implodes; probably wiping out the Freys n picking up fire worshippers on the way. That to me seems established though a lot could go wrong with regard to that. Once the new Sealord is decided they will make a great power move and back Stannis in full. If Aegon turns out to oppose Dany then they might end up backing him but I doubt the Bank and Braavos will back seperate claiments.

Yet they never made a move against Aegon I. They also went to war ALLIED with Aegon I when he used his dragon against Volantis.

Yet they never made a move against Aegon I. They also went to war ALLIED with Aegon I when he used his dragon against Volantis.

Volantis was a greater threat and that was one dragon. They were probably too busy toasting over the recent annialation of thousands of dragons during the Doom to fuss over one dragon. Also, they've allied with Stannis whilst knowing about Dany. Its too big risk to write off the woman with 3 dragons straight away and I doubt they would have made a snap decision to get their money that quick. I can't see how they would be that short-sighted, they did have the ability and means to assist Dany by attacking Volantis; they chose not to even effect contact or trade. Now they don't have to bother with a powerful Volantis and can direct all their efforts at putting down the dragons. Their actions have been antagonistic and hostile towards Dany.

Volantis was a greater threat and that was one dragon. They were probably too busy toasting over the recent annialation of thousands of dragons during the Doom to fuss over one dragon. Also, they've allied with Stannis whilst knowing about Dany. Its too big risk to write off the woman with 3 dragons straight away and I doubt they would have made a snap decision to get their money that quick. I can't see how they would be that short-sighted, they did have the ability and means to assist Dany by attacking Volantis; they chose not to even effect contact or trade. Now they don't have to bother with a powerful Volantis and can direct all their efforts at putting down the dragons. Their actions have been antagonistic and hostile towards Dany.

Imo youre thinking to much into it, the fact that they allied with a Targ that had the last 3 dragons in the world is proof that they are not "pathologically" anti-dragons like you claim. And they havent made a single act antagonizing Dany (yet), youre just exagerating

Imo youre thinking to much into it, the fact that they allied with a Targ that had the last 3 dragons in the world is proof that they are not "pathologically" anti-dragons like you claim. And they havent made a single act antagonizing Dany (yet), youre just exagerating

They've made overt efforts to give an army to a Beratheon who drove her family from Dragonstone. Thats a clear act of hostility and not one they can try to talk their way out of even if it was a short sighted decision. If you know that theres a Targ who wants the throne and would have the means to do so with a fleet. Incidently this is one that seems to have slipped Varys by due to the secrecy over Aegon. Jon Connington recieved no such aid and Dany hasn't seen any Braavosi in Slavers Bay. Even if we assume that Stannis is just a foil (which I doubt given that they lent actual money and naval aid to Jon Snow who they see as Stannis man on the wall) tehy've made no effort to contact a known player in the GoT when they want a new monarch who'd be grateful for military aid.

Some people I think can be a bit short sighted when reading this story, but with the current events in Kings Landing and the 7 kingdoms, I don't think it's a difficult task taking the Iron Throne. The real problem is dealing with the wights, the others, winter etc. Let's not forget the real enemy here, Dany needs to act fast because things can fall into place if she does. If she takes the Iron Throne she can reunite the 7 kingdoms by defeating the wights etc. I think this is the true purpose of her dragons so we shall see.

They've made overt efforts to give an army to a Beratheon who drove her family from Dragonstone. Thats a clear act of hostility and not one they can try to talk their way out of even if it was a short sighted decision. If you know that theres a Targ who wants the throne and would have the means to do so with a fleet. Incidently this is one that seems to have slipped Varys by due to the secrecy over Aegon. Jon Connington recieved no such aid and Dany hasn't seen any Braavosi in Slavers Bay. Even if we assume that Stannis is just a foil (which I doubt given that they lent actual money and naval aid to Jon Snow who they see as Stannis man on the wall) tehy've made no effort to contact a known player in the GoT when they want a new monarch who'd be grateful for military aid.

Siding with Stannis is not an act of hostility, all they want is the gold, thats very different from giving him an army to attack Daenerys. Also dont forget that the Bravosi hate slavery much more than they hate Dragons (wich is why they sided with Aegon I).

Siding with Stannis is not an act of hostility, all they want is the gold, thats very different from giving him an army to attack Daenerys. Also dont forget that the Bravosi hate slavery much more than they hate Dragons (wich is why they sided with Aegon I).

Yes it is; they are helping one of the last origional usurpers to gain the Iron Throne. Giving an army to a man you intend to get regular payments of gold from implies you want him to stay on the Iron Throne to get steady payments. They know that the Beratheons deposed the Targs and that helping them stay on the throne by putting Stannis there with an army is a hostile act. Its indirect but its still hostile. Well, had they wanted to stop slavery entirely by attacking Volantis once its fleet left and then on to slavers bay they could well have done that. They conciously have not done so or even show any inclination of aid. Arya's POV doesn't mention any military preperations whatsoever, or even talk of events in Slavers Bay and surely the Bank wouldn't have aided Stannis if they suspected the government would back a Targ eventually.

If this saga was called "A Song of Fire", you would have laid out the whole situation perfectly. But, this is called "A Song of Ice and Fire" so we need to factor in one major thing : Winter.

When all of Westeros is cold and dark, wights and Others will be slaughtering every kingdom and there's thousands of them outside the walls of King's Landing. Then here lands this 1 single ship with a Targ and her 3 dragons. The dragons perch on the city walls and breath their fire. It toasts the whole snowy field burning all the evil creatures at once. Then they feast on the charred flesh, and fly through the countryside demolishing the whole army as they go. After that no one will doubt that she's a Targ and that she should be their ruler.

At least this is the "too obvious" ending that things have been pointing to all along. It better not be that or I'll be disappointed.

Braavos may not attack Dany, but I doubt they'd ever support her.

Enlightened self-interest seems to carry the day more often than not, so I'd say it's all up in the air for now.

Right now, I think the dragons are what's going to settle the matter. They'll be living, firebreathing reminder of the origins of House Targaryen, and if Dany shows up in Westeros with three dragons, she'll have so much propaganda-value/goodwill etc., the technicalities aren't going to matter. No one wants another Field of Fire.

The Others' and wights (vulnerable to fire, I might add) are only going to be extra points in her favour.

People who need to claim a birthright or keep one

Bran has it far worse than Dany

Theon has it far worse than Dany

Tommen has it far worse than Dany

Aegon has it far worse than Dany

Stannis is stuck in the North dead to his family

Sweetrobin is being poisoned by LF and a Maester

Edmure Tully is in custody

Mance was burned alive revoking his Kingship

Harrion Karstark has spent like 5 books in custody

Tyrion is basically screwed

Clearly Dany is hard done by cause she has the runs

15000 Unsullied. Half of them killed or driven insane by the warpstorm (a fething warpstorm!). Gets to Free Cities. Nobodies going to take her seriously, she still needs a fleet and can't just take a few hundred ships without a major war. Braavos the naval power of the region, hate dragons and would try to attack her given any chance. Even if she did. She still has the massive problem that everybody hates the Targs. Just because they hated Cersei doesn't mean they'll rush on to her. Tyrell has a lot to gain as do the Boltons + Freys. Martell would support but Martell isn't enough. The Stormlands won't rush to a Targ due to what they did. Nor would the Starks and nor would the Vale. All of those houses hate Targs; they are under bloodfued and expect no mercy. On the face of it Danys chances of taking Westeros with 15,000 Unsullied were not good and such a plan would never have worked. People would never have rallied under her like they will Aegon due to the established reasons.

What is a warpstorm? And especially, what is a "fething" warpstorm? (Where are you from, if I may ask? )

What is a warpstorm? And especially, what is a "fething" warpstorm? (Where are you from, if I may ask? )

A warp-storm is a player-hating thingamob from Warhammer 40k:

It is an event used mainly in the novels. But it is a storm in the Immaterium that is usually comprised of warp daemons, or the warp just decided to hate what ever travles through a certain area. One can never really be sure.

Archived