if the dothraki invaded westeros?

orys baratheon no.2

I like Dothraki vs. Westerosi military threads as much as the next guy, but I think this thread is largely missing the point.

The Dothraki invasion of Westeros is not meant to climax in a pitched battle between Drogo's khalasar and Robert's knights, or even a series of small battles.

Consider Viserys. He is an idiot, and likely insane, but I'll go out on a limb and assume internal consistency on his part.

Her brother, sprawled out on his pillows beside her, never noticed. His mind was away across the narrow sea. "We won't need his whole khalasar." Viserys said. His fingers toyed with the hilt of his borrowed blade, though Dany knew he had never used a sword in earnest. "Ten thousand, that would be enough, I could sweep the Seven Kingdoms with ten thousand Dothraki screamers. The realm will rise for its rightful king. Tyrell, Redwyne, Darry, Greyjoy, they have no more love for the Usurper than I do. The Dornishmen burn to avenege Elia and her children. And the smallfolk will be with us. They cry out for their king." He looked at Illyrio anxiously. "They do, don't they?"

"No!" Viserys screamed. He turned to Ser Jorah, pleading in the common tongue with words the horsemen would not understand. "Hit her, Mormont. Hurt her. Your king commands it. Kill these Dothraki dogs and teach her."

On one hand, Viserys believes that 10,000 Dothraki can successfully invade Westeros. On the other hand, he believes that one Westerosi knight can kill a number of Dothraki warriors ("the rest of her khas"). How to square this circle?

Viserys does not believe that the Dothraki will defeat the Westerosi in open battle. Rather he believes that if he returns to Westeros looking like a plausible threat, much of the realm will defect to his side.

Not convinced that Viserys is the best source? You're probably right.

Let's move on to King Bob. He and Ned are discussing the Dothraki threat in the barrowlands:

The king shifted uncomfortably in his saddle. "Perhaps. There are ships to be had in the Free Cities, though. I tell you Ned, I do not like this marriage. There are still those in the Seven Kingdoms who call me Usurper. Do you forget how many houses fought for Targaryen in the war? They bide their time for now, but give them half a chance, they will murder me in my beds, and my sons with me. If the beggar king crosses with a Dothraki horde at his back, the traitors will join him."

Bob ain't pleased with the idea of Dothraki running around Westeros, but my read is that he identifies the true threat as Westerosi traitors. I imagine he would be equally concerned if Viserys was backed by Pentos, Braavos, or the Lhazareen. Whoever is coming with him doesn't much matter as long they cross a minimum threshold of viability.

Dany rode along quietly for a time, working on his words like a puzzle box. It went against everything that Viserys has ever told her to think that the people would care so little whether a true king or usurper reigned over them. Yet the more she thought on Jorah's words, the more they rang of truth

Viserys was wrong about the common people- they don't care. Which is a good, since the most likely tactical use of the Dothraki is to split them up into many small bands of raiders and set them loose on the smallfolk. We saw how much damage Clegane, Lorch and Hoat did to both the commonfolk of the Riverlands, and, crucially, to the Riverlords' ability to combine their strength rather than each vainly attempting to protect their holdings.

Finally, consider who is behind the plan to invade Westeros- Varys and Illyrio. I don't know their motivation any more than you do, but I doubt King Rhaego is what they had in mind. The Dothraki are meant to open fissures between the smallfolk and the lords they look to for protection, and between the lords paramount who will want to mass their armies and the individual lords who will want to protect their holdings. These fissures, and the extant Targ loyalties, can then be exploited by a certain blue-haired youth who has a better claim to the Iron Throne and the support of one of the most formidable fighting forces we've seen so far.

• 4 weeks later...

Archived