Mance Rayder, the -uh- Bard(?)

7V3N

So I have a huge problem with the show's Mance. This guy could never sing a sweet song, let alone pass as a singer to get into Winterfell (part of me is glad they cut that bit). This Mance just seems like another wildling, which I think is a complete butchery of how amazing Mance's character is.

I said I think this actor looks more like a Victarion Greyjoy, and they are sort of writing him that way.

What does everyone else think? Do you like this Mance? Can you see him actually sneaking into Winterfell?

I'm going to guess you haven't seen the phantom of the opera. Ciaran can sing.

No I haven't, but that isn't my main problem. This guy just does not have the look of a bard, I could never see him passing as your average singer. I haven't had a problem with the acting or anything, just confused as to why they decided to change the character from a soft-spoken bard to a pissed off wildling. I know Ciaran was not their first choice, but still.

ETA: So I guess my question is more: do you think they changed Mance because of the casting choice?

And what does a Bard look like? He's a Wildling and a former man of the night's watch, I never got the impression that he is a "soft-spoken bard" I always saw him as a man raised in a hard world who enjoys to sing a song.

And what does a Bard look like? He's a Wildling and a former man of the night's watch, I never got the impression that he is a "soft-spoken bard" I always saw him as a man raised in a hard world who enjoys to sing a song.

Agreed. Hopefully they come up with a good excuse for him to sing in one of the upcoming episodes. It'd be a nice nod to the books and it would be cool if they included his story of climbing the wall to visit winterfell, but that second bit is probably going to be cut from the show. It doesn't seem like it's that important a thing to keep in.

So I have a huge problem with the show's Mance. This guy could never sing a sweet song, let alone pass as a singer to get into Winterfell (part of me is glad they cut that bit). This Mance just seems like another wildling, which I think is a complete butchery of how amazing Mance's character is.

I said I think this actor looks more like a Victarion Greyjoy, and they are sort of writing him that way.

What does everyone else think? Do you like this Mance? Can you see him actually sneaking into Winterfell?

I always got a sort of jolly sense from Mance, in most occasions. A man that was hard, yet charming. Tough, but comely.

I thought exactly same way about the book's Mance, and felt little disappointed when I saw the show's one.

Is one of the best parts of the character IMO, and pretty much important in the later events.

I think that Hands could make a good Mance. What I have a problem with thus far is the shows portrayal of the wildlings. What happened to Tormund for instance? The actor seems fine to me as well, but the writing is killing me! Tormund hasn't said one funny thing yet,and he was one of the funnier characters in the texts.

Game of Thrones offered the part of Mance to The Wire's Dominic West. I think he would have been great, but he turned it down before truly considering it because of the time he'd have to spend in Iceland. Basically, it wasn't worth turning down time with his family.

I think that Hands could make a good Mance. What I have a problem with thus far is the shows portrayal of the wildlings. What happened to Tormund for instance? The actor seems fine to me as well, but the writing is killing me! Tormund hasn't said one funny thing yet,and he was one of the funnier characters in the texts.

This is killing me too! They have to invent a couple scenes with Pod as a sex-god for humor's sake but can't include any of the typical Tormund humor from the book. I also need more Dolorous Edd in my life.

I could see McNulty as Mance, that would really work. They've definitely dropped the ball on the wildling story. I wasn't a huge wildling fan when reading, but at least they were fun. The somber, intimidating angle isn't working. We've got enough of that already. Series needs more jovial after the death of Robert.

I thought they had butchered his character just looking at the trailer. In that he basically shouts at the top of his lungs: "I'm gonna give em the biggest fire the North has ever seen". So already there we have something that book Mance probably wouldn't say. In the books he always seemed calm, collected and pretty calculative. Smart and calm, not as rash and savage as the trailer made him out to be.

And I haven't seen any eps from season 3 yet, but judging by this thread, they have portrayed as I didn't want them to portray him. So I agree with you too OP. But it feels like the show writes want to change as many things and characters as possible, which is making the series lousier and lousier. They are in no way making it better either, they are an example of how not to adapt books since season 2.

I agree completely OP. My dream choice for Mance was always Peter Wingfield! Probably best known as Methos from the HIghlander series. http://www.imdb.com/...48864/nm0935057 And he can sing too

Good choice. His look would have made a really good Mance. And of course Dominic West would have been great, and I am kinda pissed at him for turning it down :P But an even better choice for me would be James Purefoy, he would have owned the role.

snip

As a very harsh critic of the second season--and lover of the first season--I can say that this season has been very good so far. The first episode was a bit weak, but since then there has been many conversations taken straight from the book, and they use the Queen of Thrones as the focal political mind in King's Landing, and it works wonderfully. I'd say bury your memories of season two and watch three with an open mind. I did, and was surprised to see how well it has gone so far.

Yeah honestly, in my opinion the most disappointing thing about Season 3 thus far has been the portrayal of not only Mance (not Cirian Hinds fault though, I blame the writing/directing) but also Tormund - both of them have had their quirky personality traits traded for the whole "generic badass" route. I even once heard someone describe the wildlings as "making the Night's Watch look like fun", which is not at all the vibe you got from them in the books.

Archived