Greatest Warrior in ASOIAF Westeros and Essos?

Unsullied are trained to fight as groups, not individuals.

Knights as Jaime or Arthur Dayne are taller, use superior weapons, have plate armor and are trained horsemen.

Best of all time? The Dragonknight!

Best alive? I guess Jon Snow. Mance was the best swordsman of the NW and he slew countless wildlings to become King beyond the wall, so he is much more expierenced then Jon, but with Longclaw its a different story. Jon is the only expert swordman wielding a valyrian blade right now.

The Dragonknight was a great lancer, but did GRRM ever say anything about his swordsmanship? It's hard to say who is the best warrior in ASOIAF when there are several different fighting styles. The Dragonknight would easily defeat Jaime Lannister if both had lance, but if they were on foot, I bet Jaime would've won. Is there anyone who fights mounted as good as on foot?

The Dragonknight was a great lancer, but did GRRM ever say anything about his swordsmanship? It's hard to say who is the best warrior in ASOIAF when there are several different fighting styles. The Dragonknight would easily defeat Jaime Lannister if both had lance, but if they were on foot, I bet Jaime would've won. Is there anyone who fights mounted as good as on foot?

Khal Drogo, GRRM hasnt really shown us any good military horsemen or even described i think might be wrong though.

You're right about their equipment. They can't do much with those weapons. Still, I think we should give the Essosi more credit. What about Syrio Forel? He took down five Lannister guards with a wooden sword. I wish we had gotten a fight scene with him using a real sword. I like to think he'd have easily killed Meryn Trant if he had one.

Syrio Forel's definitely up there, if he's still alive. I agree that he would've beaten Meryn Trant if he had a real sword but I doubt it would be easy. Jaime considers Meryn to be a capable swordsman in his own right.

Syrio Forel's definitely up there, if he's still alive. I agree that he would've beaten Meryn Trant if he had a real sword but I doubt it would be easy. Jaime considers Meryn to be a capable swordsman in his own right.

Interesting, I didn't remember that. In fact, the only thing I remember about Meryn Trant is that he is a douche :P

Interesting, I didn't remember that. In fact, the only thing I remember about Meryn Trant is that he is a douche :P

A douche who can fight. Here's the quote from ASoS, "Jaime had served with Meryn Trant and Boros Blount for years; adequate fighters, but Trant was sly and cruel, and Blount a bag of growly air."

Unsullied are trained to fight as groups, not individuals.

Knights as Jaime or Arthur Dayne are taller, use superior weapons, have plate armor and are trained horsemen.

Best of all time? The Dragonknight!

Best alive? I guess Jon Snow. Mance was the best swordsman of the NW and he slew countless wildlings to become King beyond the wall, so he is much more expierenced then Jon, but with Longclaw its a different story. Jon is the only expert swordman wielding a valyrian blade right now.

Lyn Corbray has Lady Forlorn, Brienne has Oathkeeper, and Caggo has a Valyrian arakh.

Jon was certianly good, but among the watch & wildlings only Qhorin & maybe Mance were world-class swordsmen, so there was a lack of decent competition. Also, Jon is 17. Even Jaime Lannister wasn't the best fighter in Westeros when he was 17.

I'd put the top 5, as of the end of DwD, as being:

In Essos

1. Barristan Selmy (although age is beginning to catch up with him)

2. Grey Worm

3. Strong Belwas

4. Victarion

5. Caggo Corpsekiller

In Westeros:

1. Areo Hotah

2. Lyn Corbray

3. Balon Swann

4. Brienne

5. Mance (assuming he is still alive)

Jaime and Sandor are both highly skilled with a lance and a sword, and then theres those who are jacks-of-all-trades (like Rhaegar and Balon Swann)

Isn't Loras Tyrell still alive? I don't really like the guy, but everybody in the books acknowledges him as a great lancer and a pretty good swordsman.

Loras himself admits that Garlan is a much better swordsman than he is. Loras is probably the best lancer in the world, but with a sword he's probably only just above average

Loras himself admits that Garlan is a much better swordsman than he is. Loras is probably the best lancer in the world, but with a sword he's probably only just above average

Loras is by no means average with a sword. He is one of the best already and will get better with age. At the moment it is hard to say, who the best in Westeros is. The clear favourites are all dead or injured at the moment. From what we know I guess it is probably Garlan.

In Essos maybe still Barristan.

I think there are probably many more good fighters in Essos than in Westeros, as we know that the population of Essos is much greater. I think the ones in Westeros are overhyped by the people there.

However, I know that we have no way of knowing who they were, and, of the ones we do know, I would have to say it is either Daemon Blackfyre or Ser Arthur Dayne. Syrio was pretty good too.

In terms of killing machine, the only plausible option is Jaqen H'ghar.

i think some where that barristan selmy says jaime is the best natural swords man he has seen, and that coming from him isnt to be taken lightly...

I would go with Jaime with two hands. He is also getting a better tactician.

16 and a member of the Kingsguard. Jaime being 16 doesn't diminish the fact that the sight of Ned (probably with Ice) was enough for him to say "here ya go, take it."

I'm not saying that in their primes Jaime doesn't take Ned in single combat. But Ned in his prime was enough for the Kingslayer to step aside without issue.

From Jaime's POV we know there was no question of a fight. He said something like I sat down on the throne with my sword on my knees and waited to see who comes to claim it. And then Ned entered. Jaime never intended to claim the throne or fight for it. He was just an arrogant teenager posing there.

One thing that always bothers me is that Ned never gets any credit for his skill as a fighter. The guy led the vanguard for the demon of the Trident, Robert Baratheon. He also scared the living hell out of Jaime Lannister by looking at him (When he arrived at KL)... I'm not saying he's the best, but he never gets mentioned on anybody's "top" list. Coupled with the "valyrian advantage" of Ice, I'd say he has to be somewhere in the top 15 of all-time fighters that we know of in the ASOIAF universe.

and at the ToJ, he and HR were the sole survivors against Aurthur Dayne and the KG

16 and a member of the Kingsguard. Jaime being 16 doesn't diminish the fact that the sight of Ned (probably with Ice) was enough for him to say "here ya go, take it."

I'm not saying that in their primes Jaime doesn't take Ned in single combat. But Ned in his prime was enough for the Kingslayer to step aside without issue.

Jaime's troops were surrounded and heavily outnumbered. He did not show any fear of Ned. Jaime actually was waiting to see who the next kign was. He never had any intention of pronouncing himself king.

As for the comment about Ned being in the top 15 of all time, that is ridiculous. He is not even close.

Aemon the Dragonknight, Cregan Stark, Brandon Stark, Daemon, Barristan, Arthur Dayne, Jaime, Robert, Yohn Royce, Garlan, the Hound, the Mountain, Bittersteel, the Smiling Knight, Gwayne Cobrary and Gerold Hightower to name but a few.

The beating Ned received from Yohn Royce is enough to stop him ever being considered one of the elite.

Both in Westeros and Essos, in the end of ADWD, i find that the best warrior, is an annointed knight: Ser Barristan Selmy.

Overall, it is more dificult to choose among Barristan Selmy, Aemon The Dragon Knight (dead), Arthur Dayne (dead) and Jaime Lannister (with the two hands).

Archived