Jaime will become King (an essay)

MaesterHodor

Hi everyone! My first essay on Jaime died really quickly, which disappointed me a lot, because I worked hard to make a good thread for once that everyone could enjoy and not laugh at and call me a troll. I really want to try my best to satisfy the people who read my posts, but I can't do that when my threads die so quickly like that. I've decided to pour my heart and soul into this thread, and I've decided to make a well-thought out essay on why Jaime will sit on the Iron Throne at the end, with Hodor as his Grand Maester.

There've been a couple foreshadowings in regards to Jaime Lannister of Casterly Rock becoming King of the Seven Kingdoms. Jaime of the House Lannister, the First of His Name, King of the Andals and the First Men, Lord of the Seven Kingdoms and Protector of the Realm shall return to the Iron Throne for good by the end of the final book. But enough of my empty statements--what do they mean without any proof? What are these foreshadowings I speak of?

Ser Jaime Lannister was twin to Queen Cersei; tall and golden, with flashing green eyes and a smile that cut like a knife. He wore crimson silk, high black boots, a black satin cloak. On the breast of his tunic, the lion of his House was embroidered in gold thread, roaring its defiance. They called him the Lion of Lannister to his face and whispered "Kingslayer" behind his back.

Jon found it hard to look away from him. This is what a king should look like, he thought to himself as the man passed.

In Jaime Lannister's very first appearance, Jon can only comment on how kingly he looks. Perhaps it's wrong of me to get too caught up on this but, why is one of the first words GRRM uses to describe Jaime "kingly?" Surely he could have described anyone else as kingly--but why did it have to be Jaime? Now, this might not seem important at first glance, and it might just have been one of GRRM's not-well-thought-out descriptions, but there's more foreshadowings than this. Let us consider perhaps the most noteworthy foreshadowing of Jaime's future, Ned's description of Jaime on the Iron Throne:

Jaime wore the white cloak of the Kingsguard over his golden armor. I can see him still. Even his sword was gilded. He was seated on the Iron Throne, high above his knights, wearing a helm fashioned in the shape of a lion's head. How he glittered!

Perhaps the most important of all the foreshadowings is this. Jaime, for no apparent reason, sat on the Iron Throne upon killing Aerys. Now, why would GRRM make him do this? Why would he sit on the Iron Throne upon killing Aerys if he had no interest in becoming King? Other than foreshadowing, or perhaps a future explanation for this by Jaime/Cersei/Tyrion/someone else (on why he sat there in the first place) I don't really know why he would. The Iron Throne isn't the most comfortable place in the world to sit, as Jaime points out in Ned's description of the event:

It's not a very comfortable seat, I'm afraid.

Why didn't he sit on the steps of the Throne leading to it, as the TV series has shown us? But these steps don't just exist in the TV series. After all, we know this because he was "high above his knights." There is no other way for him to be high above his knights, other than with steps leading to the Throne. Surely that would be more comfortable? Or he could have simply laid down on the floor. Why the Throne?

Before I end this thread, I want to consider another argument in favor of Jaime becoming King. These two foreshadowings all occurred in the first 100 pages of GoT. Now I ask you this: why would GRRM try so hard to make Jaime appear "kingly" so early on? Perhaps it is one of the most important future events that will take place in the final two books.

I can't really see him on the IT (although as much of a mess things are likely to be by the end, I suppose just about anyone could be on it by the end). If the IT is disbanded though, King of the Westerlands, as the Lannisters were before Aegon's Conquest? Maybe. With no IT I can't imagine there would be a Kingsguard anymore, so he would be out of his vows.

I have to say that this thread makes slightly more sense than the previous ones but I also think you are trying too hard to come up with a theory, any theory.

Anyway, I don't think any of that is foreshadowing. I am of the believe the "kingly" part is just a reference to what happened in the past, being a kingslayer and sitting on the throne instead of hinting towards something that may happen in the future. I can't see Jamie ever becoming the king.

I have to say that this thread makes slightly more sense than the previous ones but I also think you are trying too hard to come up with a theory, any theory.

I agree.

Anyway, I think it's more setting up Jaime as arrogant and disrespectful of norms, and giving Ned suspicions re: Lannister ambitions. But I don't think it's supposed to specifically foreshadow Jaime as king.

Also, he's going to turn into a wight and kill Cersei, so he's otherwise engaged.

Your most sensible theory yet, although I don't agree with it. Mostly because I don't think Jaime would ever want to be king. Although it would be good to see him sitting on the throne again to see who would come and take it.

Hi everyone! My first essay on Jaime died really quickly, which disappointed me a lot, because I worked hard to make a good thread for once that everyone could enjoy and not laugh at and call me a troll.

I don't think the making of a 'good thread' necessarily means you have to come up with a good theory, not to mention....a brand new theory of your own. As for Jaime being King, I don't think so. For one thing, lots of the descriptions of Jaime, initially I think, are to point out how much Robert doesn't strike people as looking very Royal. Jaime POV chapters later explain why he sat the IT after killing Aerys, he was waiting to see who would claim the throne, once he ruled out hunting down Prince Viserys himself and making another dragon king. Jaime sitting on the IT is also a way to show sense of humor. Yes, Ned found it to be beyond the pale, Jaime sitting the throne, but I think Jaime just thought it was funny, to be honest.

Back to my first point, I'm not sure why you think you need a theory to post or start a thread. I think discussing the books and that which we know to happen might be enough for a start, a theory, far out or otherwise, doesn't seem absolutely necessary to me. JMO

Also, he's going to turn into a wight and kill Cersei, so he's otherwise engaged.

I can understand Jaime as Cersei's valonqar. If it's Tyrion it would be too predictable.

But how did you arrive at the Jaime turning wight conclusion? Is it because of this quote?

Robert -> Ned

"The Others take my wife," Robert muttered sourly, but he started back the way they had come, his footsteps falling heavily. "And if I hear;Your Grace' once more, I'll have your head on a spike. We are more to each other than that."

Now I ask you this: why would GRRM try so hard to make Jaime appear "kingly" so early on? Perhaps it is one of the most important future events that will take place in the final two books.

He's not trying hard to make Jaime appear Kingly. One of those instances is Jaime appearing to not give a shit about what people think - him sitting on the throne.

The other aspect of this that you would need to come up with is that he is the KG Commander. Does he just give that up and kill his own child to become king?

Perhaps the most important of all the foreshadowings is this. Jaime, for no apparent reason, sat on the Iron Throne upon killing Aerys. Now, why would GRRM make him do this? Why would he sit on the Iron Throne upon killing Aerys if he had no interest in becoming King? Other than foreshadowing, or perhaps a future explanation for this by Jaime/Cersei/Tyrion/someone else (on why he sat there in the first place) I don't really know why he would. The Iron Throne isn't the most comfortable place in the world to sit, as Jaime points out in Ned's description of the event:

Why didn't he sit on the steps of the Throne leading to it, as the TV series has shown us? But these steps don't just exist in the TV series. After all, we know this because he was "high above his knights." There is no other way for him to be high above his knights, other than with steps leading to the Throne. Surely that would be more comfortable? Or he could have simply laid down on the floor. Why the Throne?

Not that I'm disputing your point, or anything. But if I guarded a man going mad day and night, and I kept hearing rumours that say that the chair he sits on keeps digging uncomfortably and cutting him, to a point that it contributes to his madness, after I killed him I would at least be damn curious. All that would be enough to prompt me to sit on it, and try and imagine myself conducting business on it all day every day.

Not that I'm disputing your point, or anything. But if I guarded a man going mad day and night, and I kept hearing rumours that say that the chair he sits on keeps digging uncomfortably and cutting him, to a point that it contributes to his madness, after I killed him I would at least be damn curious. All that would be enough to prompt me to sit on it, and try and imagine myself conducting business on it all day every day.

WRONG

WARG SECRET TARG BLACKFYRE

I can understand Jaime as Cersei's valonqar. If it's Tyrion it would be too predictable.

But how did you arrive at the Jaime turning wight conclusion? Is it because of this quote?

Robert -> Ned

Nah, it's more a guess based on two things: a) we're definitely going to see a lot of characters becomes wights, including at least one POV character, and B) the prophecy is particular about strangulation, which is the main wight MO we've seen.

Nah, it's more a guess based on two things: a) we're definitely going to see a lot of characters becomes wights, including at least one POV character, and B) the prophecy is particular about strangulation, which is the main wight MO we've seen.

Indeed, and with cold hands iirc. Nice.

I don't know what's the story with your other posts, but I feel you are reaching a little.

In Jaime Lannister's very first appearance, Jon can only comment on how kingly he looks. Perhaps it's wrong of me to get too caught up on this but, why is one of the first words GRRM uses to describe Jaime "kingly?" Surely he could have described anyone else as kingly--but why did it have to be Jaime? Now, this might not seem important at first glance, and it might just have been one of GRRM's not-well-thought-out descriptions, but there's more foreshadowings than this. Let us consider perhaps the most noteworthy foreshadowing of Jaime's future, Ned's description of Jaime on the Iron Throne:

I think there are other ways to interpret this. Given that this is perceived from Jon's perspective I tend to analyze this passage pertaining to Jon. For once, is important to notice that Jaime is wearing the Targ colors and a black cloak: He wore crimson silk, high black boots, a black satin cloak. The coloring seem to suggest a Targ connection, especially if you susbscribe to R+L=J. The black cloak, suggests a connection to the NW. Allo f these is significant to Jon, not Jaime.

As for Jaime's kingly appareance, it might be a way of Martin's playing with the convention of the role, while at the same time a way to point out Jon's immaturity. Looking the part does not imply that a person will make a good king. Jaime might look kingly but he's a kingslayer and we later see him fooling around with his own sister and throwing kids from towers. I think GRRM is telling us this early in the saga not to judge his characters by their appereance.

Archived