There is no such thing as "Targaryen madness"

Panos Targaryen

who says Maegor did that out of paranoia? it is simply a cruel way to protect your own secrets. and is Stannis mad for burning people rather than executing them in a cleaner, quicker way? are the Arryns mad for putting people in sky cells? are the Lannisters mad for putting people in oubliettes?

He managed to earn the nickname the Cruel in such a world and that means something.

Add Cruelty to general madness and then you get why the Targs overall have such a bad reputation. Aegon the Conqueror, Maegor the cruel, Baelor the Blessed, Aegon II, Dearon the Young Dragon (40k corpses in a few years = nothing gained = madness + cruelty, Aegon IV, Maekar (imprisoned a family memeber/loyalist for unk reason/cruel? = Bloodraven) Aegon V = got himself, his firstborn and best friend/LC of Kingsguard killed tyring to hatch eggs = madness), Aerys II (posterchild), his sons Rheagar = started Westeros's "great war", Viserys (would have let 40k Dothraki + their horses take a go at his 13 year old sister if that is what it took to get an army = cruelty + madness). Dany - she is trying hard but is making inevitable mistakes because she has gotten herself into too much too fast.

pretty sure it was Aegon IV actually

Aegon IV was the King which slept around loads and then legitimised all of his bastards on his death bed. I'd put him in the crazy pile as well.

Aegon IV was the King which slept around loads and then legitimised all of his bastards on his death bed. I'd put him in the crazy pile as well.

yeah he was, but also did the wooden dragon thing. wouldn't call him crazy, just extravagant and spiteful at the end.

since when does being an asshole make you insane

He thought they were offeding the Targs because the dragon in their play was being attacked or something (forgot what the dragon was doing), so he attacked a helpless woman who had done nothing wrong to him, and if you didn't already know he was mad because he drunk wildfire.

yeah he was, but also did the wooden dragon thing. wouldn't call him crazy, just extravagant and spiteful at the end.

Oh I missed the wooden dragon thing. I think there's been some confusion here. Daeron I conquered Dorne but he didn't use wooden dragons to my knowledge. Aegon IV was the wooden dragons and the sleeping around. Both were crazy imo.

Due to the Targaryens being mostly born out of incest, a lot of people, both in the books and in real life believe that they have the hereditary trait of madness in their bloodline ("every time a Targaryen is born the gods flip a coin" etc), yet if you look at their family's history, not many kings of the Targaryen dynasty were mad.

Actually, only two of them were certifiably mad, Aerys II and Baelor the Blessed. There were 17 Targaryen kings in total, and out of them 2 were insane, and 3 or 4 were cruel people, yet not mad (Maegor, Aegon II, Aegon IV, maybe someone else, don't remember).

So out of the 17 kings, 5-6 weren't "ideal". Now, let's look at all the great Targaryen kings: Aegon I, Jahaerys I, Daeron II, Aegon V, Jahaerys II (didn't rule for long, but Barristan says he was a good king). So that's 5 good kings. The rest weren't good or bad, just average, not very notable or we simply don't know enough about them.

Compared to real word history, that's nothing. So where does this idea of Targaryens having a high chance of being mad come from? Genetics in ASOIAF don't work the same way they do IRL, or else House Targaryen would be extinct after 5 generations.

Where's Aerion?' (didn't read whole thread, I saw nutjob is being discussed directly above me.)

The whole "Targ coin flip quote" was made BY a Targaryen. I'm pretty sure he knew his family history.

Also on my current reread I'm starting to see a lot more of Dany's craziness coming out. Tywin at one point in ASoS says something along the lines of pardoning people who bend the knee. After they've knelt help them back up or something. Helps to keep less enemies.

Dany sees crucified kids and then does the same exact thing to the older men of Meeren because in her mind that's "the honorable thing". That's a bit crazy to me

Shiera seastar was rumoured to bathe in blood to preserve her beauty it must have been a great great beauty treatment or she was slightly mad at least

Nice, Westerosi Elizabeth Báthory.

Warning: require_once() [function.require-once]: Unable to allocate memory for pool. in /home/sites/westeros.org/forum_web/ironthrone/sources/base/core.php on line 1200

Warning: require_once() [function.require-once]: Unable to allocate memory for pool. in /home/sites/westeros.org/forum_web/ironthrone/sources/base/core.php on line 1162

Warning: include() [function.include]: Unable to allocate memory for pool. in /home/sites/westeros.org/forum_web/ironthrone/sources/classes/class_localization.php on line 835

Yes, and Tyrion is actually a demon monkey. I wouldn't believe everything that's rumoured in this series. :P

we may find the truth from bloodraven he could bran in TWOW which would make it more interesting if we learn about bloodravens past in more detial

Warning: require_once() [function.require-once]: Unable to allocate memory for pool. in /home/sites/westeros.org/forum_web/ironthrone/sources/base/core.php on line 1200

Warning: require_once() [function.require-once]: Unable to allocate memory for pool. in /home/sites/westeros.org/forum_web/ironthrone/sources/base/core.php on line 1162

Warning: include() [function.include]: Unable to allocate memory for pool. in /home/sites/westeros.org/forum_web/ironthrone/sources/classes/class_localization.php on line 835

Yes, and Tyrion is actually a demon monkey. I wouldn't believe everything that's rumoured in this series. :P

we may find the truth from bloodraven he could bran in TWOW which would make it more interesting if we learn about bloodravens past in more detial

Warning: apc_store() [function.apc-store]: Unable to allocate memory for pool. in /home/sites/westeros.org/forum_web/ips_kernel/classCacheApc.php on line 72

Warning: apc_store() [function.apc-store]: Unable to allocate memory for pool. in /home/sites/westeros.org/forum_web/ips_kernel/classCacheApc.php on line 72

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/sites/westeros.org/forum_web/ips_kernel/classCacheApc.php:72) in /home/sites/westeros.org/forum_web/ips_kernel/classAjax.php on line 323

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/sites/westeros.org/forum_web/ips_kernel/classCacheApc.php:72) in /home/sites/westeros.org/forum_web/ips_kernel/classAjax.php on line 326

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/sites/westeros.org/forum_web/ips_kernel/classCacheApc.php:72) in /home/sites/westeros.org/forum_web/ips_kernel/classAjax.php on line 327

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/sites/westeros.org/forum_web/ips_kernel/classCacheApc.php:72) in /home/sites/westeros.org/forum_web/ips_kernel/classAjax.php on line 328

Shiera seastar was rumoured to bathe in blood to preserve her beauty it must have been a great great beauty treatment or she was slightly mad at least

Shiera wasn't a Targaryen though, she was a Great Bastard. Although like others said, these may just be rumors.

Archived