Yet Another Coldhands Theory

Aluus

Greetings. My apologies if this has already been discussed; I'm a little new here and still searching through the old posts.

I have my own theory on who Coldhands is. The most prominent theory I believe, is that he is the Night's King, the 13th commander of the Night's Watch who took one of the Others for his bride...

Close... Not quite.

I believe Coldhands is the son of the Night's King, the result of that unholy union. I believe this is why unlike other Wights, he is still sentient; he is half White Walker. His control over his ravens is an ability inherited from his mother (the Others can control the corpses of animals, it's not too farfetched to imagine that a hybrid of Other/Human could control living ravens; perhaps all of Coldhands' ravens are dead!)

Having been born of the Night's Watch, he would naturally be a black brother, albeit an outcast. A man who takes the black is forgiven of his past crimes, it's not impossible to imagine this would apply to the "crime" of having the Night's Watch's mortal enemy for a mother. It would also make him somewhat of a repentant soul, eager to aid his brothers.

Recall, Wights have already been inside Castle Black, which lies South of the Wall, during the story, yet Coldhands could not pass the Wall to meet Bran. This is due to his Others lineage.

I think it would be too expected for him to be the Night's King. Furthermore, it's likely that the body of the Night's King was burned on his death. Taking into consideration whom the Night's King took for a bride, along with the atrocities he committed during that union, I can't see him siding with the Watch in death. It would make more since for his offspring to attempt to atone for his father's sins.

I've seen this suggested before, but I'm not 100% convinced by them.

Having Cold Hands as the Night's King son would be a good twist for people who think he could be the actual Night's King, but he could be someone else, someone unexpected.

I'm not saying I don't like the theory, I think it's probably one of the best out there.

And as for the ravens I think that it was Bloodraven who was controlling them.

Welcome to the Forum :cheers: and Merry Christmas :laugh:

It's hard to imagine Nightwatch accepting half-human/half Others as a black brother. I think chances are good that any "product" of the unholy union would have been killed by Nightwatch, Starks or Wildlings.

Personally I have yet to read any good convincing argument of Coldhand's real identity.

Anyway, Merry Christmas and Happy New Year

It's hard to imagine Nightwatch accepting half-human/half Others as a black brother. I think chances are good that any "product" of the unholy union would have been killed by Nightwatch, Starks or Wildlings.

Personally I have yet to read any good convincing argument of Coldhand's real identity.

Anyway, Merry Christmas and Happy New Year

Well I'm sure it's been proposed before, but I think Coldhands is Brandon Stark (Eddard's brother). I think the scarf covering his throat is also covering the scars from the leather thong that killed him in KL. I can't make the connection with Bloodraven, that's the issue I have with my hypothesis.

He IS dead. But unlike other dead men, Wights if you prefer, he is sentient, able to think and talk and act for himself. No other Wight that we are aware of is like this. There must be some sort of X-factor. I believe it is that his mother was one of the Others.

Archived